The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the work you're doing, how good you are at managing money, if you're providing for a family, where you live, any vices you have and a million other variables.
I would love a salary of around 40k I would feel like a millionaire!
Our entire current household income is around 25k we are a family of 6...

I will start on 21k after 4yrs of study. Although I am ambituous and will do everything neccesary to climb the ladder quickly :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
To me a good salary is one where you can pay all your bills, have food on the table for you/your family and still have enough left to treat yourself!
I can definitely comment on what a bad salary is..MINE! Minimum wage, £110.40 a week working my arse off catering to the food needs of staff and residents at a care home. Better than JSA I suppose!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 183
I think a good salary would be one which allows you £30,000 after tax. The further above that you go, the better.
Original post by Besakt
Enough so you can afford the things you need.

That's about £9000 a year then?
Reply 185
Original post by jacketpotato
45k is still a very comfortable existence. It's well abovethe average gross pay of £25k for a full time worker. You could rent a nice 1-bedroom flat in central London for about 18k a year, which still leaves plenty for a pension and plenty of disposable income.

If its well managed there really shouldn't be a problem.

if you paid 18k a year for your rent, you'd be left with 1,533.60 a year for everything else inc gas, elec, food, water, council tax,
I dont think it can be done..

your take homeon 25k is £19,533.60
Reply 186
As a graduate starting out I would expect around 24-28k outside london (28-32k ) in london and after a few years 35k would be good, but when im in my late 30s early 40s I want to be on around 50-60k
Depends where you're living, of course. Someone living in the north wouldn't require as much as someone living in, say, London.

I'd say whatever's enough to pay the bills and buy food, and leave enough left over to treat yourself and family.
Is 22,000?
Good in this economy? Anything above NMW.
Reply 190
Depends where u live. If ure single, married and with kids.
Also does it really matter? I mean if u do something u love and ure happy it doesn't matter if the pay is high or low.
I would be pretty satisfied with £40K
Reply 192
I am a single parent of two teenage boys. My salary is commission and basic so fluctuates. My annual earnings is around £42k and I live in Essex.
£42k to run a house is extremely difficult and I am not satisfied with my income.
I would be very comfortable if I had a partner who contributed with an income of around £14k - an additional £1000 net per month. I believe a fair joint income for a couple is therefore £56k.
For me to achieve the same net income with no partner I would need to earn £70k.
Reply 193
Original post by redmel1621
I would love a salary of around 40k I would feel like a millionaire!

Until the tax man comes along :wink:
I feel like I am on a good salary now even though I'm one of the worst paid in my workplace (£14k). I hope to get a pay rise in the next 7-8 months but I can pay for everything I need (£350 a month roughly) and treat myself as well now anyway. (Going to Rome tomorrow night :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Higher salary jobs come with added stress (obviously) but with a higher salary people take on higher mortgages so they're aren't really better off, I can't remember the source but a report found that people earning 60k where the happiest.
Guys, it can be done. Just burst the 90k barrier, just turned 32. From a council estate, 6 people in 3 rooms. Get educated, get a job, work hard, play the corporate game, don't moan, do it, do better..........only had 2 jobs ever. First one, 2 promotions in 4 years. Second one, 2 promotions in 4 years. I'm no snob, remember my roots, and still dress like a hillbilly outside of wrk.
Reply 197
Original post by Strangertttt
Guys, it can be done. Just burst the 90k barrier, just turned 32. From a council estate, 6 people in 3 rooms. Get educated, get a job, work hard, play the corporate game, don't moan, do it, do better..........only had 2 jobs ever. First one, 2 promotions in 4 years. Second one, 2 promotions in 4 years. I'm no snob, remember my roots, and still dress like a hillbilly outside of wrk.

New member ya?

lol
Original post by Strangertttt

what job/what did you study at uni? :smile:
Original post by Fosse
Higher salary jobs come with added stress (obviously) but with a higher salary people take on higher mortgages so they're aren't really better off, I can't remember the source but a report found that people earning 60k where the happiest.

More like 90k is okay :colondollar::colondollar::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending