The Student Room Group

Sheffield Vs Liverpool

totally stuck with which uni to choose!
any help would be greatly appreciated! x
Reply 1
bump?
Depends on what course you're wanting to do and where you'd be comfortable living for 3 years...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ltaylor1987
Depends on what course you're wanting to do and where you'd be comfortable living for 3 years...

Posted from TSR Mobile

history and i think i prefer liverpool as a city but have heard so many positive things about sheffield uni and it feels like a safer option!
I live in Sheffield at the minute and its alright. The nightlife is good and you'll have everything you need here. Plus Meadowhall is just down the road (for when your loan goes in!)

Liverpool is a beautiful city and the uni is supposed to be fantastic. The culture there is second to none and for history that would be perfect for you! The nightlife is also great and there's more options for shopping. Manchester and the Trafford Centre are just down the road and if you like your football you won't go short in Liverpool.

I'd deffo go visit both before you make your choice... Only you know which city is right for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
thankyou! that was really useful!
yeah i have visited both and really liked liverpool- for most of the reasons you mentioned! now i want to go there even more aha i think my main problem is just weighing up the actual unis
Original post by hdindak111
totally stuck with which uni to choose!
any help would be greatly appreciated! x

Choose the University of Sheffield. I heard that the University of Liverpool isn't all that for a Russell Group university. Sheffield is mainly ranked above Liverpool on league tables.
Reply 7
Original post by Raymat
Choose the University of Sheffield. I heard that the University of Liverpool isn't all that for a Russell Group university. Sheffield is mainly ranked above Liverpool on league tables.

yeah i have noticed that- tho to me the courses look much the same. Would you say liverpool is less prestigious then?
Reply 8
its hard as i dont know whether i care more about that than the overall experience and i can't see any reason for it being lower
Reply 9
Original post by hdindak111
its hard as i dont know whether i care more about that than the overall experience and i can't see any reason for it being lower

You have to be happy where you are. You'll suffer enough with homesickness and no amount of prestige can help you with being unhappy. You'll do best academically in a place where you are settled.
Lol please don't base your decision on league tables and rankings.

Look at where you think you will be the happiest and which university course appeals to you the most.
Original post by Kash24411
Lol please don't base your decision on league tables and rankings.

Look at where you think you will be the happiest and which university course appeals to you the most.

i've got to agree with this, not many employers will care which uni you went to. It's more about what you achieve while you're there (academic and extra curricular) it's the life experience that most employers will want.
You have to be happy where you are. You'll suffer enough with homesickness and no amount of prestige can help you with being unhappy. You'll do best academically in a place where you are settled.

sorry had to make a new account as tsr wouldnt let me log in-yeah i def agree with this, i think tho that sheffield (uni) seems equally nice and unpretensious in its way, i just loved liverpool as a city!
i've got to agree with this, not many employers will care which uni you went to. It's more about what you achieve while you're there (academic and extra curricular) it's the life experience that most employers will want.

yeah thats a good point actually!
anyone elsee?
Reply 16
Original post by hdindak
anyone elsee?

Out of curiosity which one did you go for in the end? I was in the same dilemma this year and firmed Sheffield. Hope i don't regret it haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending