The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

noo mcfly...

/me dies.
Reply 101
Widowmaker
Reality check. McFly aren't talented they're just adored by young teenage girls so they could release a blank cd and it'd probably sell. Same with Busted although thankfully they've buggered off.

Eh? McFly are incredibly talented. They're not getting people to write their songs and play their instruments and their music is fantastic.
Reply 102
Widowmaker
Have you ever heard a person saying, "I hate The Beatles!" because I haven't.

Yes, plenty. It's been said in this very music sub-forum.
i actually didnt think it was too bad, and expected the worst when i heard they were covering it.

but as covers go, it isnt bad IMO
Reply 104
I agree with the OP - I was horrified that McFly could even contemlate doing a cover of my all time favourite Queen song. But having heard them on Sport Relief I was actually pretty impressed. Shame they can't play the guitar solo but I guess better to have it on a backing track than to mess it up when they've really pulled out the stops on the rest of the track!
Reply 105
I heard this on tv while a few days ago, and thought "why the hell would you try and cover a song like that if you couldn't sing like Freddy Mercury", now I looked at this thread and though "oh, that explains it". Sounded like a bad high school covers band, except they usually had the sense not to cover songs out of their league. Seriously that summed up most of what was bad about cover songs- it differed from the original only in that it was less well performed.
McFly - Broccoli

Now there is a great song! Love it :suith:
Reply 107
Can someone who prefers the McFly version to me please explain why? I don't mean to be a dick about this, I just really can't see any feature in it that might be regarded as an improvement on the original. It's exactly the same except the performance is worse. Seriously, what's better about it?

Also, Queen are a novelty act!? Is this some strange new definition of a novelty act I've never come across before? It's usually used interchangeably with "gimmick band" right? To describe an act that has some weird quirk that makes them more interesting than the quality of their material would suggest? How does that describe Queen at all?
Can't McFly do anything original...i know these are b-sides but they've passed there quota of covrered songs and there new song got to no1 wtf i'm so ***in angry last 2 weeks it was lilly allen and now mcFly, i wanna kill them noobs and there fans :angry: :angry: ;rant; ;rant; ;rant; ;rant; ;upyours; ;upyours; :eviltongu :eviltongu :angry: :vmad: :banghead: :banghead: :dontknow: :ts: :pwnd: :evil:
Reply 109
I didn't even know McFly were covering it until I heard it. No way was it better than the original, it seemed to have less depth because of the weird voices of McFly and somehow less energy (I can't explain what gave me that impression).

Queen ni their own time had pretty much faded from popularity until after Live Aid where they caught the kind of community atmosphere. Their music is very user friendly and Freddie Mercury was a big personality and I prefer them to McFly but that is mainly because since 5 colours (which was fun) McFly really don't have anything to offer.
KieranP
Can someone who prefers the McFly version to me please explain why??

Cos they're not bummers

That was a joke before someone gets on their high horse
Reply 111
Omg You Said Something Obnoxious But Didn't Really Mean It Comedy Gold!!!!111
KieranP
Omg You Said Something Obnoxious But Didn't Really Mean It Comedy Gold!!!!111

To be honest, you are completely right. Narb, saying that was just uncalled for, please construct a real argument, because to be honest I get the impression people think Queen were a 'gimmick' band because their lead singer was gay, and while they were Glam Rock, no escaping it, they do not deserve to be labelled like that.
Decent_Jam
To be honest, you are completely right. Narb, saying that was just uncalled for, please construct a real argument, because to be honest I get the impression people think Queen were a 'gimmick' band because their lead singer was gay, and while they were Glam Rock, no escaping it, they do not deserve to be labelled like that.

Well me calling them a gimmick band has nothing to do with the lead singer being gay, it was more of the only way I can praise the utter Darknessesque(new word) cheese that people are calling legendary. I'm sorry but just because the frontman is dead it doesn't make the band legendary.

And keiran P, sorry you couldn't take a simple joke, clearly you're one of those who has jumped on the Queen are legends bandwagon when they are a poor band at best with probably the worse lyrics going.
serious narb
Well me calling them a gimmick band has nothing to do with the lead singer being gay, it was more of the only way I can praise the utter Darknessesque(new word) cheese that people are calling legendary. I'm sorry but just because the frontman is dead it doesn't make the band legendary.

And keiran P, sorry you couldn't take a simple joke, clearly you're one of those who has jumped on the Queen are legends bandwagon when they are a poor band at best with probably the worse lyrics going.

It was a joke, fair enough. I don't care about that, if you want to take cheap shots at someone because you can't form an argument about their music then that's fine. But i will take offence to how you dismiss Queen as a band. Of course, music is subjective which entitles you to an opinion, but describing them 'poor at best' and having 'the wors(t) lyrics going' is quite unfair. They are an extremely popular band, with hits spanning technically 3 decades. You don't have to like them but you can't dismiss them as poor when they are generally acknowledged as good musicians by most in the industry. But i would like to see what you consider the 'worst lyrics'. I'm not having a go at you or anything, i just want to see you back up what you say. You have a right to dislike Queen, but i don't consider unfounded comments to be productive debating.
Well firstly I dont think you can use the fact that a band is popular to define whether they are good lyrically or not, look at songs like bohemian rhapsody for example, the lyrics dont mean anything at all. As i've mentioned previously there is no way a band using the lyrics 'radio ga ga, radi goo goo' could possibly considering anything more than appaling lyrically.
serious narb
Well firstly I dont think you can use the fact that a band is popular to define whether they are good lyrically or not, look at songs like bohemian rhapsody for example, the lyrics dont mean anything at all. As i've mentioned previously there is no way a band using the lyrics 'radio ga ga, radi goo goo' could possibly considering anything more than appaling lyrically.

in the context of the song it makes sense - he is lamenting the demise of radio. and the lyrics of bohemian DO mean something: they mean something to the author. Just because we might not understand the meaning, doesn't mean there isn't one. But me saying that mcfly are poor at best would be unfair. I hate them, but 'poor at best' is an unfounded comment given that it is an opinion, rather than a constructive criticism of a type of music i don't like.
Smokyjoe123
in the context of the song it makes sense - he is lamenting the demise of radio. and the lyrics of bohemian DO mean something: they mean something to the author. Just because we might not understand the meaning, doesn't mean there isn't one. But me saying that mcfly are poor at best would be unfair. I hate them, but 'poor at best' is an unfounded comment given that it is an opinion, rather than a constructive criticism of a type of music i don't like.

Well imo they are awful, I am entitled to think they're poor at best and you are entitled to think they are great. Lets just leave it at that because we're not exactly going to eventually agree are we?
Reply 118
SeriousNarb, I wasn't complaining because I found what you said offensive, I complained because I didn't find it funny, and I can't stand this current trend for saying stupid things and expecting a big laugh. Irony is not automatically funny.

Furthermore, cheesy is not gimmicky, and comparing them to the Darkness to make your point betrays a lack of understanding. The Darkness are a gimick band because they are intended to be funny, an their entire appeal is based upon the silliness of their act, Queen are a good band who also happen to be camp and silly.

And yes I like Queen. This isn't because I've "bought into the hype", it's because I actually like over the top, camp music. I listen to Rush, Dream Theater and Manowar, so Queen isn't that huge a leap. [snide retort] Obviously f you're a humourless dullard, you'll find them overated. Of course, we could stop mking wild ans baseless attacks on each others tastes based on our opinions of one band. But that wouldn't be fun would it?

Now could someone answer my question.
KieranP
SeriousNarb, I wasn't complaining because I found what you said offensive, I complained because I didn't find it funny, and I can't stand this current trend for saying stupid things and expecting a big laugh. Irony is not automatically funny.

Furthermore, cheesy is not gimmicky, and comparing them to the Darkness to make your point betrays a lack of understanding. The Darkness are a gimick band because they are intended to be funny, an their entire appeal is based upon the silliness of their act, Queen are a good band who also happen to be camp and silly.

And yes I like Queen. This isn't because I've "bought into the hype", it's because I actually like over the top, camp music. I listen to Rush, Dream Theater and Manowar, so Queen isn't that huge a leap. [snide retort] Obviously f you're a humourless dullard, you'll find them overated
. Of course, we could stop mking wild ans baseless attacks on each others tastes based on our opinions of one band. But that wouldn't be fun would it?

Now could someone answer my question.

i agree with everything you said.:top:

Except for "The Darkness are a gimick band because they are intended to be funny, an their entire appeal is based upon the silliness of their act." Which i take offence to, in exactly the same way you just described about making wild and baseless attacks on each other's tastes. But other than that, good post.

Latest