University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Black Students @ Hull

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Fine.

Never said that it wasn't. Read my post again.

You are confusing nationality and ethnicity. Culture is not always linked to your ethnicity. They are two separate things. You are born with a certain ethnic background, but the culture you grow up in is not dependent on your ethnicity.

Ethnically, yes you are African. Culturally, you may not be.

It can't be denied. Its an ethnicity.

Very well.

OK. As I said in my post before, you may culturally be from the Caribbean, but ethnically, people from the Caribbean are mostly Black Africans. I don't really see what the big deal is here.

Ethnically most North Americans are White Europeans yet most universities provide separate European societies and American societies.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by WGR
I mean common enough to understand each other and form a meaningful link. I can't say that I understand the French man and his customs just because we both use the same word for "money changing house" (bureau de change) and that our parliament and monarchy evolved from their government.

That reminds me I swear to god some Caribbean countries have more in common with the Spanish than Africans even. In Jamaica a bureau de change is known as a cambio which is Spanish for change, half the place names are in Spanish (Ocho Rios, Vera Cruz etc), Spanish language and some Spanish history (Christopher Columbus) is compulsory in Jamaican schools, all the rivers are called "rio" (Rio Cobre etc) virtually all the architecture is colonial Spanish/English and this is an English speaking country. African influences are there but it is too watered out by time and other cultures to form a meaningful bond past slavery nowadays.

Well, Jamaica was colonised by the Spanish before the British. The fact of the matter is, the Caribbean is a melting pot of cultures. Many nations have influenced its development. But as a Jamaican, who was born there, and who lived there for a significant amount of time, and who can consequently speak for my people... I declare that of you ask any Jamaican about there roots and the orgins of their culture, or what nations they relate to most, they will say African/Africa.

So no matter if their town is called Cornwall or Albany, and their last name is Johnson or Jones, the people they relate to most are africans. And in the Caribbean there is a strong awareness of our roots. All Jamaican children learn about the african culture and history, it is an intergral part of caribbean education. Even in normal everyday talk, jamaicans will discuss their African past. They dont learn about Elizabeth the First of England, or Philip of Spain. So the African links are not watered down. Caribbeans still find it very relevant. And you cant disagree, because I am a very 'fob' Jamaican. The link between the two regions cannot be severed.
Reply 62
Original post by sherace
Well, Jamaica was colonised by the Spanish before the British. The fact of the matter is, the Caribbean is a melting pot of cultures. Many nations have influenced its development. But as a Jamaican, who was born there, and who lived there for a significant amount of time, and who can consequently speak for my people... I declare that of you ask any Jamaican about there roots and the orgins of their culture, or what nations they relate to most, they will say African/Africa.

So no matter if their town is called Cornwall or Albany, and their last name is Johnson or Jones, the people they relate to most are africans. And in the Caribbean there is a strong awareness of our roots. All Jamaican children learn about the african culture and history, it is an intergral part of caribbean education. Even in normal everyday talk, jamaicans will discuss their African past. They dont learn about Elizabeth the First of England, or Philip of Spain. So the African links are not watered down. Caribbeans still find it very relevant. And you cant disagree, because I am a very 'fob' Jamaican. The link between the two regions cannot be severed.

Saying they relate to Africans and actually being able to relate to Africans are two different things. I never said the links weren't there I'm saying they aren't strong enough to warrant a joint society and furthermore if we go ahead with the joint society regardless then why don't all Americans and Europeans have a joint society as well? Why are their societies separate?
Reply 63
https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups/560991257252577?ref=bookmark&__user=696386414
Hopefully this link works, join the hull freshers page for more info about the events happening freshers week
Original post by sherace
I expected events to be planned as well!

I went through clearing too, but on Friday 16th I actually made the journey up there to go look arounds (aaages from London. Died like 4 times). And I filled in the accommodation form by hand. So I got into Needler Hall. But tbh, it doesn't sound that great. And the building is really ugly. But at least the rooms are biggish, so all my stuff will fit. And its one of the smaller halls, so should be a cosy environment.

How far is you property away from uni? Is it a walkable distance? I wish mine was closer, when I took the bus there, it was like 15mins, so definitely not walkable.

hey there did you say you moved to hull from london? am in the same position this year and still unsure if to go for it or not.
Reply 65
Original post by tobisky247
hey there did you say you moved to hull from london? am in the same position this year and still unsure if to go for it or not.

I'm actually reeealllly enjoying uni! The people in Hull are soooo nice! It's really welcoming! Stark difference to London!

I don't even miss London! I went down to London this weekend, and I'm telling you, Hull is much nicer!
It's quieter, it's kinda greener, but it still has that city feel. Lots of nightlife and urbanism, without being OTT!
Original post by sherace
I'm actually reeealllly enjoying uni! The people in Hull are soooo nice! It's really welcoming! Stark difference to London!

I don't even miss London! I went down to London this weekend, and I'm telling you, Hull is much nicer!
It's quieter, it's kinda greener, but it still has that city feel. Lots of nightlife and urbanism, without being OTT!

@Sharce thanks for replying that's a relief as I was already thinking of deleting hull city as one of my choices but now you said that I will leave it and hope I get interviews
As well as pass the assessments thank you so much
Reply 67
Original post by tobisky247
@Sharce thanks for replying that's a relief as I was already thinking of deleting hull city as one of my choices but now you said that I will leave it and hope I get interviews
As well as pass the assessments thank you so much

Good Luck!!! :biggrin:
Original post by gloria28
Get the facts right Ghana made theirs with yam not cassava like elsewhere in Africa.

To paraphrase you. You just wanna jump in on the hype.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um my facts are right fufu as far as in know is Ghanian and made from Cassava. Unlike the Nigerian Pounded Yam - made out if yam of course!

Do YOUR research!!

I do it not want to jump into any hype lol. I'm tired of ignorant black people, especially that of Afro-Caribbeans and African Americans and their ignorance (and sometimes "hatred") towards Africans specifically.
(edited 10 years ago)
any black student in hull this year
Reply 70
Yes. Us the students who went here.
How is Hull? Is it a good university?
Also is there much black people? Is it good for raves? lool
Reply 73
There's a lot of black people and a rave or house party every other week basically.
Original post by gloria28
There's a lot of black people and a rave or house party every other week basically.

Really?? That's gooood

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Is there a rnb and hip hop music scene instead of cheesy or electronic music?
Reply 76
Original post by danidiaz
Is there a rnb and hip hop music scene instead of cheesy or electronic music?

Yes there is.
Okay, black girls in hull, let's talk hair!
Where can I get my hair taken care of?
I have tough Nigerian naps and I can't be going all the way back to London to get it done..
Please tell me there's hope?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by Uche-Nicole1
I have tough Nigerian naps and I can't be going all the way back to London to get it done..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on your price range. There is a salon called Hair by Elsa in the city centre, she is really good. Plus, there a quite a few mobile hairdressers who are students that do hair. There is hope.

'Tough Nigerian Naps' what does that even mean.
Reply 79
Original post by Uche-Nicole1

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm having the same problem as you. And food! What am I going to do when I need to cook but I've run out of something. Do you know if there a Caribbean and African food store in Hull?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest