The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

What's Royal Holloway REALLY like?

Having visited Royal Holloway last open day I was absolutely 100% sure that Royal Holloway was going to be my first choice. However, as the months went on and I did more and more research into the universities that I was going to choose, I came across far more than one negative review of Royal Holloway as a university, and it got me thinking: is Royal Holloway really for me? Personally I've never actually heard an honest, factual account of what Royal Holloway is really like, I'd love to get some insight into the university from people who currently study there/have studied there/have seen more of the university than the 3 or so hours I did last year at the open day. Have I just been entranced by the beautiful building that reminds me of my favourite books or is there more to Royal Holloway than just the Founders Building? Are the negative reviews on Royal Holloway just an example of the typical negativity that one finds on the internet or is there some truth to it all? And if any one could tell me what the history course is like to learn that would be amazing too! Thanks a lot if you do reply, anything any one can give me will really help me in terms of whether I decide to choose Royal Holloway as my firm/insurance as I have got a conditional offer from there! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Royal Holloway is great if you like peaceful surroundings, pretty buildings etc. The buildings are really modern and things are getting refurbished more often so the place is gradually looking newer and newer. I can't comment much about the teaching standard since it's probably different for my course. But if you're looking for somewhere with great nightlife, lots of clubs, a place where you can go drinking somewhere different every night then you'll dislike RHUL. The nearest club is in Windsor, there's a few pubs scattered around outside the uni, the SU isn't great on most nights. The fact that RHUL is in the middle of nowhere doesn't help, the town has Tesco which is a 20 minute walk away and coming back is hell especially if you're loaded with shopping. I'm not surprised that it has many negative reviews since I've come across so many people who wish they'd gone elsewhere. I think Royal Holloway is a place that you either love it for what it has or hate it for what it lacks.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
As a quick side note, when reading reviews just double check when they were written. Royal Holloway has changed a lot over the years and it's a different place now even in comparison to five years ago, for example.

I love Royal Holloway. However, it's not the sort of place that I'd automatically expect everyone to like- it's very Marmitey.

Founder's is beautiful but it isn't the be all and end all. If you don't live there or have any lectures there you probably won't spend that much time there, aside from perhaps in Crosslands. I personally love the rest of campus too, even the 'ugly' concrete buildings, and even without Founder's it's a reasonably attractive place to live (especially with the copse). However, it's really down to taste. Bear in mind that it's very much a bubble- if you're the kind of person who will delve into university life, who will get involved in the clubs and societies on campus and will go out and make the most of Medicine, Stumble, Crosslands, Monkey's and the other pubs in the surrounding area, if you really want to feel a part of everything, then it's quite the haven. It's got to the point for myself, now, that I feel almost intertwined with Royal Holloway, to the extent that when I'm at home I can feel a little lost, especially at the beginning of the holidays. I'm not saying you have to be as extreme as me, haha, but getting involved will help make Holloway your home.

Also, as cliche as it sounds, people do make a place. I've found Holloway to be exceedingly friendly but of course it will always suck if you end up with flatmates you don't like, for example, to the point where it can put the rest of your university experience in a bad light. I wouldn't be surprised if those who have written bad reviews have perhaps found Royal Holloway difficult socially and that is very unfortunate. However, there are plenty of opportunities to make friends. I will add the perspective of a very good friend of mine, who does like Holloway but as a northerner sometimes finds some of the students to be a bit stuck-up.

I guess my point is my experience of Royal Holloway WILL be different to yours and to everyone else's. You're never going to get a truly objective view of the place. Yes, people can say "there are X amount of pubs/clubs on campus" or "it's very expensive to buy food on campus", etc., but if you're someone who loves the idea of a small, tight-knit community slightly cut off from the outside world full of other crazy people who also like these things, then you should probably be fine at Holloway.
Reply 3
Only if this university was located in Newcastle. Then it would probably be one of the best University's in the UK.
It's nice.
Reply 5
Also remember that those with bad experiences or more acurately a negative bias are far more likely to post reviews.

Those that like it just get on with loving the place or just post a short "are you crazy" type objection to the bad reviews.

Just like every uni there are negatives.
LLacerta is right...saves me typing all those things.
The buildings are getting better, although i question the University's priorities sometimes (Imagine - being one), not that they are that bad. Roho's worst buildings are better than a lot i've seen at other unis *cough*aston*cough*sh!thole* (i'm still getting neged a year or more latter for something i said about aston)
RHUL is great. I'm dreading spending a month at home without it. People will always find something to complain about, wherever they are. Although, if you're looking for somewhere with a lot of activity, campus is DEAD at weekends... I've never seen more squirrels than people before I came here. And everyone will complain about it being expensive, but situated where it is, what do people expect?
I think one of the first things that I would say is, Royal holloway is a tiny campus. When I mean tiny, I'm being deadly serious. Subsequently the facilities leave a lot to be desired (it has a few basic and grimy bars on campus, and a dire SU). This is something that I didn't really notice until I started a graduate course at a much larger university. The number of students at Rhul is also very small with a large percentage of students commuting home for the weekends. The campus is essentially a ghost town at weekends. In addition, the local area is just a village. It has a handful of pubs.

Generally, the campus is very pretty and I had excellent teaching from my department. But the lifestyle is very slow and boring. But to me, it felt like I was at a school instead of a university. Because of the low numbers and poor facilities, the societies were also pretty weak. Don't even get me started on how dreadful the library is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I think one of the first things that I would say is, Royal holloway is a tiny campus. When I mean tiny, I'm being deadly serious. Subsequently the facilities leave a lot to be desired (it has a few basic and grimy bars on campus, and a dire SU). This is something that I didn't really notice until I started a graduate course at a much larger university. The number of students at Rhul is also very small with a large percentage of students commuting home for the weekends. The campus is essentially a ghost town at weekends. In addition, the local area is just a village. It has a handful of pubs.

Generally, the campus is very pretty and I had excellent teaching from my department. But the lifestyle is very slow and boring. But to me, it felt like I was at a school instead of a university. Because of the low numbers and poor facilities, the societies were also pretty weak. Don't even get me started on how dreadful the library is.

I've got to echo some of these sentiments (especially the bit about the library). If it wasn't for my amazing course and the fact that I've made some wonderful friends here, I wouldn't rate Royal Holloway very highly at all. Visiting my friend who goes to Sheffield University really highlighted just how much we lack in terms of bars and clubs here.

However, as much as I did like Sheffield, I still prefer Royal Holloway because of its homely feel. As an undergraduate, I find that very important.

OP, it's really all about what you're after from your university experience, to be honest.
Have things got better at Royal Holloway since? I love the grounds, but I do also sense that this isn't an elite university compared to Warwick, Durham Nottingham etc.
I'll be firming RHUL this year, I have been to the open day and loved it. I got a really good feel about it and, really friendly in the psychology department, the passion from the staff really came through.
Secondly, I live literally 5 minutes from the university which is perfect for me, as an older student, I'm 27, who has a house and husband to keep, means I can't move far for university. So the fact it doesn't have night life doesn't bother me at all.
I love the area, Its not in London, no. But Surrey is a great place to live, although a little on the expensive side. There's loads of big towns for shopping close by, Staines, Kingston, Guildford, Woking and your only 35 mins from London on the train. You have Virgina Water up the road which is nice in the summer.
Its top 4 in the country for psychology which is what I will be studying.
My husband went there, he studied computer science and loved it.
So it ticks all my boxes but I can see why younger students might find it a little lacking if night life is a big thing for you. Bur apart from that, all positives in my opinion. Although I guess I can't say that for sure until I get there and start the course! I'm holing I won't be disappointed.
I made a pros and cons of Royal Holloway video as I thought it might help prospective students, feel free to check it out and ask me any questions!
zBiY1NfV8Ao
Original post by IzyVlogs
I made a pros and cons of Royal Holloway video as I thought it might help prospective students, feel free to check it out and ask me any q

Is there a ''lad'' culture there?
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Is there a ''lad'' culture there?

Hi so I've never experienced or seen any evidence of one in my 2 and a half years here. But I also asked some of my friends who go out more than I do, and they thought that it's only really within the rugby team that there might be one. So maybe if you were thinking of joining that then you might experience it a bit, but otherwise you probably wouldn't at all. I imagine Royal Holloway is one of the least affected universities because we're smaller and because we're not in a city there aren't massive nights out which is probably when the lad culture would occur more. Hope this helps, that's a hard question to answer!
Hi so I've never experienced or seen any evidence of one in my 2 and a half years here. But I also asked some of my friends who go out more than I do, and they thought that it's only really within the rugby team that there might be one. So maybe if you were thinking of joining that then you might experience it a bit, but otherwise you probably wouldn't at all. I imagine Royal Holloway is one of the least affected universities because we're smaller and because we're not in a city there aren't massive nights out which is probably when the lad culture would occur more. Hope this helps, that's a hard question to answer!

I wish I went there for my undergrad now, even though it isn't Warwick. An MSc it will have to be.
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
I wish I went there for my undergrad now, even though it isn't Warwick. An MSc it will have to be.

Was there a lot of a lad culture in Warwick?! I don't know why but that really surprises me, maybe because i see Warwick as a really sensible, top university and that people would be above that kind of thing there. What are you doing your MSc in?
Was there a lot of a lad culture in Warwick?! I don't know why but that really surprises me, maybe because i see Warwick as a really sensible, top university and that people would be above that kind of thing there. What are you doing your MSc in?

I transferred from Nottingham to Warwick after the first year, there was less of it at Warwick, but it was still alive. It goes on even at Durham and St Andrews, the freedom of guys being free to drink and mess about is just too much for them.

The MSc would be in Biological Sciences by Research, like a mini PhD.

I love Founder's in the pictures, but close up it isn't as nice. Age has caught up with it a bit, especially inside.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,
I wasn't able to attend the open days as I live in another country. I haven't made up my mind yet on which hall I want to apply to because I'm confused. I see it being mentioned that there is a "common room" or "TV room." What I wanted to know is that will this be in all flats or just one room in the whole block? And is there a TV in all flats? If so, what provider will

Also, when I arrive, I will have big bags and I was wondering if there'll be enough space for me to put my bags in my room or is there a seperate place where the bags can be put?

Apart from the accomodation fees, I wanted to know how much will I spend on average per week? or rather how much does an average student spend per week?

I want an en-suite room with a double bed and self-catered and apparently the ones that I have to choose between are Williamson, Tuke, Highfield Court, Gowar and Wedderburn. Could someone please tell me the differences in the above halls. I can't seem to decide which one I should go for so a breakdown of the pros and cons would be nice.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has gone to places with Proscenium. If so, what's your feedback?
Original post by Kazimali786
Hi,
I wasn't able to attend the open days as I live in another country. I haven't made up my mind yet on which hall I want to apply to because I'm confused. I see it being mentioned that there is a "common room" or "TV room." What I wanted to know is that will this be in all flats or just one room in the whole block? And is there a TV in all flats? If so, what provider will

Also, when I arrive, I will have big bags and I was wondering if there'll be enough space for me to put my bags in my room or is there a seperate place where the bags can be put?

Apart from the accomodation fees, I wanted to know how much will I spend on average per week? or rather how much does an average student spend per week?

I want an en-suite room with a double bed and self-catered and apparently the ones that I have to choose between are Williamson, Tuke, Highfield Court, Gowar and Wedderburn. Could someone please tell me the differences in the above halls. I can't seem to decide which one I should go for so a breakdown of the pros and cons would be nice.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has gone to places with Proscenium. If so, what's your feedback?

Just to say I have replied to this comment on the Accommodation guide thread!
Original post by Amy_B2014
I'll be firming RHUL this year, I have been to the open day and loved it. I got a really good feel about it and, really friendly in the psychology department, the passion from the staff really came through.
Secondly, I live literally 5 minutes from the university which is perfect for me, as an older student, I'm 27, who has a house and husband to keep, means I can't move far for university. So the fact it doesn't have night life doesn't bother me at all.
I love the area, Its not in London, no. But Surrey is a great place to live, although a little on the expensive side. There's loads of big towns for shopping close by, Staines, Kingston, Guildford, Woking and your only 35 mins from London on the train. You have Virgina Water up the road which is nice in the summer.
Its top 4 in the country for psychology which is what I will be studying.
My husband went there, he studied computer science and loved it.
So it ticks all my boxes but I can see why younger students might find it a little lacking if night life is a big thing for you. Bur apart from that, all positives in my opinion. Although I guess I can't say that for sure until I get there and start the course! I'm holing I won't be disappointed.

I have also firmed RHUL for psychology this year too! I'm 25 and live 5 minutes down the road also! My partner also got her psych degree at RHUL and her positive experience of university has influenced me to get a degree too, better late than never :smile: I'm currently completing an access course but am hopeful i will meet my offer requirements! *fingers crossed* I may see you around in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending