The Student Room Group

Newbie - considering second undergrad degree. Any advice appreciated!

Just found this sub on Google...I remember frequenting this place when I was studying for my A levels. Pretty sure I have the users of '09 to thank for my B in Politics.

Anyway, I'm 24 and have a burning desire to return to uni to study Law. I have ABB at A level. I studied Journalism, Media and Social Policy at Cardiff. I achieved a 2:1. I'll try and keep this short, but I'm from a working class background and grew up under immense pressure to be the first in my family to go to uni. I never really had a chance to think about what I wanted to do. I was bright but lazy, and more immature than I would have cared to admit to back then. I should have taken a gap year and just, taken a breath.

I also had a Year Tutor who, if you weren't science inclined, 'put you in your place'. "Lawwannabe123, I just think you'd have a better time in a place like Cardiff, or Sheffield, Durham wouldn't suit you. People like us don't go to Durham." Anyway, I can't blame my lack of direction on anyone else but me. I should have been wise enough to think. Instead I chose a subject which appealed to my writing and debating tendencies.

Fast forward - I work for one of the world's oldest and most successful companies. I joined them summer of '12, a month before I officially graduated. Made it onto their leadership program last summer. In Communications. But I don't want to wield the opinion of others, I don't care how many column inches I convince some journalist to write. Yeah, I may be pretty good at it but I have no passion for it.

Law has always interested me and I believe I'm mature enough to actually attend uni and put effort into my education. I actively WANT to learn, a feeling I just didn't have during my time at Cardiff. I want to be happy and interested in what I do, I no longer care if I earn bucket loads - although it would be a nice perk.

It would be helpful if anyone else here is looking to or has completed/is completing their second undergrad like I'm looking to do. What was the application process like? Are we still entitled to finance etc.? Of course I would look to get a part time job as I did the first time round.

Thanks all.
Reply 1
You won't get Student Finance for a second degree, unless it's something like an NHS-funded one. That means paying all your own tuition fees, with living costs on top.
Ok, well the first thing to bear in mind is that if you already hold an honours degree, you are not entitled to tuition fees loans. I believe there are some exceptions to this rule (check the links below), but I don't think that a secondary undergraduate degree in Law is one of them.

Helpful Links: Part 1

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/ive-already-got-a-uk-honours-degree--can-i-get-funding-for-more-higher-education/

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/finance/funding/ukstudents/seconddegree.htm

The majority of Universities currently charge £9000 a year in tuition fees - this is due to a twofold process which occurred in 2012; the withdrawal of funding provided directly to Universities by the Government for the provision of undergraduate education, and a removal of the tuition fee cap (which was previously set at £3,375).

This means that if you intended to self fund a second undergraduate degree, you would be looking at a cost (for tuition fees alone) of £27,000 over a three year period (which is the standard
period for a large majority of degree programmes). You would also need to cover your costs of living somehow - food, accommodation etc.

I don't know your financial situation, so I am unaware as to whether or not you can cough up that kind of money...if you can, then great! You have missed the UCAS Application deadline, but I believe that you may still be able to apply through clearing? Not 100% sure about that, so best to speak to an advisor. If however, you don't happen to have a spare £27,000 + at your disposal, then there is another option -

Alternative Method: Yes, one does exist, and you don't necessarily need to have studied law at undergraduate level to take this alternative route.
A Law Conversion course. I'm afraid my knowledge of Law Conversion courses is fairly limited to say the least...but thanks to the progressive work of scientists, mathematicians, engineers and
their ilk, I can make good use of (fairly) recent developments in data exchange, and provide you with two hyperlinks which will direct your browser to two web pages, both of which should hopefully provide you with some useful information. I'm afraid that once again, the first bit of information you will need to try and draw out, will be the funding options; you need to find out if you will have to self-fund a Law conversion course, or if there are alternative funding streams available.

Helpful Links: Part 2

http://allaboutlaw.co.uk/stage/law-conversion-course

http://studylink.co.uk/law/conversion-courses/

Hope this information is of some use!
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you so much this is unbelievably helpful. I've spent a few hours looking into this today - I initially dismissed a conversion course as I assumed only people with undergrads in subject like History etc. stood a good chance of getting a training contract but it seems if you seriously put in the effort, do pro bono and a vacation placement you stand as a good a chance as anyone (well, almost).

It's also a lot more affordable - part time over two years with BPP is 8k per year, which isn't so terrifying when I can keep my day job and taken out personal loans etc.

Thanks again! I'll update this thread in case anyone out there's interested.
No probs, glad you found the information helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending