The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

If you like sleeping, don't stay in Rootes.

Scroll to see replies

I was planning to apply for Rootes but not sure now.

Can we still ask to be placed in a quiet area in Rootes. Or do they just place you wherever
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by JessicaNJ
I was planning to apply for Rootes but not sure now.

Can we still ask to be placed in a quiet area in Rootes. Or do they just place you wherever

Yes, you can. "Quiet", in Rootes, is a relative term, however - you'll be with people that are quiet, but you'll still be able to hear everything else going on.
Reply 42
Rootes isn't that bad, I live there at the moment (well I'm at home inbetween terms but.....), it is noisey, however not excessively so, no problems getting to sleep at all. I am in C block which is in old rootes and quite close to the SU, and TBH I can hardly hear it, the worst is when there is a conference in the rootes building (not residences another building) which a disco at the end where they open the windows and have rubbish music blaring out. When tell stories of stuff that happens in my block to people from other residences they are like :0, but tbh we really arn't that bad.
Original post by lbsf1
Rootes isn't that bad, I live there at the moment (well I'm at home inbetween terms but.....), it is noisey, however not excessively so, no problems getting to sleep at all. I am in C block which is in old rootes and quite close to the SU, and TBH I can hardly hear it, the worst is when there is a conference in the rootes building (not residences another building) which a disco at the end where they open the windows and have rubbish music blaring out. When tell stories of stuff that happens in my block to people from other residences they are like :0, but tbh we really arn't that bad.

I understand this years application for student accommodation starts at the end of may is it worth applying early or should i just wait after my results.
Also do you know if the online application will have an option for me to select a quite area in Rootes.
Yes, it will. So long as you get your application in by the point where you drop down a priority level (I'm pretty sure that's before your results), it doesn't matter when.
Original post by lbsf1

I understand this years application for student accommodation starts at the end of may is it worth applying early or should i just wait after my results.
Also do you know if the online application will have an option for me to select a quite area in Rootes.

Original post by BlueSam3
Yes, it will. So long as you get your application in by the point where you drop down a priority level (I'm pretty sure that's before your results), it doesn't matter when.

Hey! I was thinking about applying for Rootes as I do want sociable accommodation, would you recommend it or would you suggest somewhere else? Sorry to be a pain it's just I'm really worried about choosing the wrong placed haha. I do love going out but I don't want to live somewhere where there isn't any balance or anything!
Original post by shann_ng
Hey! I was thinking about applying for Rootes as I do want sociable accommodation, would you recommend it or would you suggest somewhere else? Sorry to be a pain it's just I'm really worried about choosing the wrong placed haha. I do love going out but I don't want to live somewhere where there isn't any balance or anything!

Westwood.
Original post by brittanna
Westwood.

it was actually between rootes and westwood! how come you suggest westwood? :smile: thank you!
it was actually between rootes and westwood! how come you suggest westwood? :smile: thank you!

I stayed there in my first year (so I'm slightly biased :tongue:). In my block, most people went out several times a week, so it was definitely sociable if you wanted it to be. So it's basically like Rootes, except you don't have the noise issue. And you have big rooms. And Tesco. And the post room. Also, at least in my block anyway, it was basically the case that everyone knew everyone, and so you had 65 or so people to talk to rather than being limited to those in your kitchen (although this is referring more to bluebell than Rootes).

The only downside is that you have a bit further to go to get to the SU, but this is only a 15 minute walk, and you can always get the free shuttle bus if you want to. So that isn't really an issue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
does it make you say ROOTES, BLOODY ROOTES!!!!!

No way. I was about to make this exact same comment. Then I was about to tell this person off for getting it in before me. Then I realised it was me all along!!
I stayed there in my first year (so I'm slightly biased :tongue:). In my block, most people went out several times a week, so it was definitely sociable if you wanted it to be. So it's basically like Rootes, except you don't have the noise issue. And you have big rooms. And Tesco. And the post room.

The only downside is that you have a bit further to go to get to the SU, but this is only a 15 minute walk, and you can always get the free shuttle bus if you want to. So that isn't really an issue.

Haha fair enough, sounds good! I guess I will put them both down then! Do you have a Morrisons in Warwick nearby? (not just being weird its just I have a part time job there now and could transfer if there is). As a student there yourself would you say it is a good place to go to uni? I really hope so haha, I'm so nervous!
Haha fair enough, sounds good! I guess I will put them both down then! Do you have a Morrisons in Warwick nearby? (not just being weird its just I have a part time job there now and could transfer if there is). As a student there yourself would you say it is a good place to go to uni? I really hope so haha, I'm so nervous!

There is a Morrisons near Earlsdon, (although I haven't actually been). I'm not sure if there's one in Leamington Spa. If you were driving or getting a bus there, then that would be no problem. Walking you're probably looking at around an hour.

I'm really enjoying my time here. I really like the campus feel it has. You've probably seen people refer to it as 'the bubble'. This is definitely the case, but it just gives it a much more community feel, which I enjoy.

Which subject are you applying for?
(edited 9 years ago)
There is a Morrisons near Earlsdon, (although I haven't actually been). I'm not sure if there's one in Leamington Spa. If you were driving or getting a bus there, then that would be no problem. Walking you're probably looking at around an hour.

I'm really enjoying my time here. I really like the campus feel it has. You've probably seen people refer to it as 'the bubble'. This is definitely the case, but it just gives it a much more community feel, which I enjoy.

Which subject are you applying for?

Ah thank you :smile: Sounds good then. I think I will like the campus kinda feel too but I am sad that the night life may be lacking haha as my other choices were Leeds and Birmingham! Law with social sciences :smile: what do you do?
Ah thank you :smile: Sounds good then. I think I will like the campus kinda feel too but I am sad that the night life may be lacking haha as my other choices were Leeds and Birmingham! Law with social sciences :smile: what do you do?

The night life doesn't have to lack if you don't want it to! After the first few weeks, people will start going out to Leamington Spa and Coventry to go clubbing. While there's not quite as much as there is in Birmingham, there are quite a few clubs in Leam, there's Kasbah in Coventry, Pop at the SU etc. and so there is still a lot of variety!

I don't think I know anyone doing that, although I know a few people doing them separately. They're enjoying their courses if it makes any difference :tongue:. If the law building is the one I'm thinking of, then it's quite a nice building (although as long as you're not based in the Humanities building, then most buildings aren't too bad :tongue:).

I do Maths :smile:.
Where do Warwick students normally go for shopping and eating out (restaurants, cafes)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Westwood.

Which accommodation would you recommend that is reasonably quite and under £100? You see i am not really into clubbing and getting drunk.
:confused:
Which accommodation would you recommend that is reasonably quite and under £100? You see i am not really into clubbing and getting drunk.
:confused:

Once again, I'm going to recommend Westwood. I don't really go clubbing or get drunk either (I've been clubbing once, and that wasn't until my second year), it's just that there are people that do go clubbing if you do want to go. On my application form I said that I don't go out much, and I was placed near people similar to me. Of the 9 people in my corridor, 6 or 7 of us didn't club very often/ at all. I've never really had any issues with noise there.
Original post by milkberries
Where do Warwick students normally go for shopping and eating out (restaurants, cafes)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apart from the on-campus things, Cannon Park is the closest to campus, and the most common.
Original post by BlueSam3
Apart from the on-campus things, Cannon Park is the closest to campus, and the most common.

Are there lot of part time jobs opportunities in Cannon park for students?
Are there lot of part time jobs opportunities in Cannon park for students?

I haven't really looked into it much (I've got essentially guaranteed work for as much of every summer as I like, so I just work then instead of in term time), but there seems to be a fair amount, yes. In particular, Warwick Welcome Service pay pretty well and are very flexible about hours and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest