The Student Room Group

Camp America 2015?

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am taking a gap year from 2015-2016 (still in y13 at the moment)

Do people tend to do Camp America in the summer before joining uni (at the end of the gap year) or at the start of their gap year?

Also i assume it would be too late for me to apply for this summer now - right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 261
Original post by xtinalouise
What are the flight prices with Camp America?

Hi there,

If you're still considering a summer camp programme we're having an event in our Head Office in London to get your summer camp application ready in a day! We'll give you the low-down on our summer camp programme and assist you with your application so your application is ready to send to camps!

PLUS flights are included!

Any questions, just ask!
Reply 262
Original post by ayesha_17

Do people tend to do Camp America in the summer before joining uni (at the end of the gap year) or at the start of their gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

There's still time to head to summer camp this summer!

We've got an event in London to get your summer camp application ready in a day!

Any questions just ask!

Sam
Original post by ayesha_17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

I went to camp at the end of my gap year just before starting uni but that was mainly because of when my birthday fell. You have to be 18 by June 1st of the year you want to go to camp to qualify for the visa.

Also, doing it at the end of your gap year means you've got a whole year to develop your skills and gain experience before leaving for camp which could be vital to getting you placed if you're a school leaver with few childcare experiences!

You aren't too late to apply for this summer but I know the agency deadlines are approaching very quickly.

Good luck!
When is the earliest that you can apply - Thinking of doing this next summer after finals, but don't have tons of 'skills' so think I'm best of applying early.
Original post by liarpoker
When is the earliest that you can apply - Thinking of doing this next summer after finals, but don't have tons of 'skills' so think I'm best of applying early.

August/September I believe? You could always work on something in the next few months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
August/September I believe? You could always work on something in the next few months?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you HAVE to be able to teach something?

I have a host of proven transferable skills, but not sure I could actually 'teach' anything.

Would you recommend any particular agency ?

I have a host of proven transferable skills, but not sure I could actually 'teach' anything.

I have only general and intermediate experience in my skills and have said if I would be comfortable with basic teaching etx and I've still had a chance to do a specific area just based in experience - without any qualifications :smile:

So if you just go into detail in your experience that works!
I'm currently with Camp America and they've been really helpful throughout everything, had an interview with a camp yesterday! :smile:

It would majorly help your application of you could - why not try helping on a guide/scout camp in the summer? Or getting some other kind of experience?

I'm going with Camp Leaders - don't think there's a huge difference between them, some organise flights, others don't - you should probably have a look to see what would suit you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone thinking it's too late to send in your application.. IT'S NOT! I sent mine in last week and got placed at the fresh air fund camp in NY the very same day! People still get hired right up until June so don't hesitate!! Good luck x
What kind of references do people use on their applications?
Original post by AlphaDog0127

Both years I've used my employer and my coach but you can also use teachers, out of school group leaders etc. Basically, no family/friends and they must have known you a minimum of 6 months.
Original post by AlphaDog0127

I used my boss, an old school teacher and my riding instructor :smile: as long as you have been in contact with them within the last year as well.
Original post by smileitsjess
Both years I've used my employer and my coach but you can also use teachers, out of school group leaders etc. Basically, no family/friends and they must have known you a minimum of 6 months.

Original post by sjrobertson
I used my boss, an old school teacher and my riding instructor :smile: as long as you have been in contact with them within the last year as well.

Thanks! I've not got references right now so shall work on that for next year so I can apply then :smile:
Original post by Shawnypawny
Anyone thinking it's too late to send in your application.. IT'S NOT! I sent mine in last week and got placed at the fresh air fund camp in NY the very same day! People still get hired right up until June so don't hesitate!! Good luck x

The same day!? You must have had a really strong application! Mine's been up for 3 months now! Been under review twice that I know of, but don't see myself getting placed any time soon. I'm with Americamp though.
What proportion of people with a specific skill get placed? Camp America say my skill is 'in demand', but lots of people seem to be struggling with placements!
Thank you!
Original post by Mojojojo
The same day!? You must have had a really strong application! Mine's been up for 3 months now! Been under review twice that I know of, but don't see myself getting placed any time soon. I'm with Americamp though.

I was extremely lucky! It wasn't exceptionally strong teaching-wise but I have a lot of experience in my different activities! I'm sure Americamp is similar to camp america in that if you've passed your interview with them you have something that a camp director is looking for so honestly don't worry, you'll end up in a camp that's perfect for you :smile:
Original post by Shawnypawny
I was extremely lucky! It wasn't exceptionally strong teaching-wise but I have a lot of experience in my different activities! I'm sure Americamp is similar to camp america in that if you've passed your interview with them you have something that a camp director is looking for so honestly don't worry, you'll end up in a camp that's perfect for you :smile:

I really doubt it to be honest! I sent out loads of emails the other day to camps I like the look of, and I just hope some reply this time! I'm kind of the opposite to you, I have hardly any activity skills but some experience with children, so was hoping for a general counsellor role, but those seem to get filled up first!
Original post by sjrobertson
I have only general and intermediate experience in my skills and have said if I would be comfortable with basic teaching etx and I've still had a chance to do a specific area just based in experience - without any qualifications :smile:

So if you just go into detail in your experience that works!
I'm currently with Camp America and they've been really helpful throughout everything, had an interview with a camp yesterday! :smile:

Hia I was just wondering how many interviews you had with CA and what type of interview your camp interview was? Cheers
Original post by blueberrysro
Hia I was just wondering how many interviews you had with CA and what type of interview your camp interview was? Cheers

Hey, I had an interview with my CA interviewer which was really casual and about an hour long. Then I had a skype interview the other day with a camp in New York and it was about 45mins also really casual just talking about my skills and general conversation :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest