The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Fine Art 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Got an offer conditional on distinction today.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hi everyone,

I've just had my Skype interview with Newcastle. There were two tutors and one student. They asked me why I chose this course, about my previous academic results, they told me to choose one piece in my online portfolio and tell them about it and whether I have something I want to ask them. They were polite and professional although I'm not sure about the impression I made since I looked at the webcam and didn't see their reactions on screen :biggrin:. We also talked about the Fine Art course. I'm REALLY not sure what they thought of me. I talked a lot (I think) but I always do when it comes to art. I've been told they will let me know about the decision via email soon. So.. yeah. I'm glad I have a reason to talk about it because I'm still shaky :dong:.

By the way, they didn't ask me about my influences, the uni history nor the last exhibition I've been to. But If you still have interview coming I definitely recommend you to look into it.

Anyway, good luck to you all who are still waiting for the decision.
Reply 22
Thanks for the update and good luck! :smile:

My daughter has heard nothing at all from Newcastle. TBH, I think it is pretty poor form. She really liked Newcastle - why is it that it is always the ones you want that take forever? I'm glad she has a good offer from Lancaster (which seems like a very flexible course and is really high on the league tables) and another from Reading - but It would still have been good to at least get something back from Newcastle. Just need some closure on this. :frown:
Original post by bb193
Thanks for the update and good luck! :smile:

My daughter has heard nothing at all from Newcastle. TBH, I think it is pretty poor form. She really liked Newcastle - why is it that it is always the ones you want that take forever? I'm glad she has a good offer from Lancaster (which seems like a very flexible course and is really high on the league tables) and another from Reading - but It would still have been good to at least get something back from Newcastle. Just need some closure on this. :frown:

I totally understand, it's nerve-racking especially when it is the top choice. On the other hand, I can imagine it must be difficult to choose from so many talented applicants :smile: . Better to take the time and choose the best suited artists, is it not? I'm sorry, I don't want to sound preachy, I'm quite nervous myself and this it how I calm myself down :tongue:. Anyway I congratulate your daughter to an offer from Lancaster and Reading, those are great unis.

I'm going to keep you updated, I would also love to hear how's your daughter doing. Fingers crossed!
Reply 24
Original post by Vangrotem
I totally understand, it's nerve-racking especially when it is the top choice. On the other hand, I can imagine it must be difficult to choose from so many talented applicants :smile: . Better to take the time and choose the best suited artists, is it not? I'm sorry, I don't want to sound preachy, I'm quite nervous myself and this it how I calm myself down :tongue:. Anyway I congratulate your daughter to an offer from Lancaster and Reading, those are great unis.

I'm going to keep you updated, I would also love to hear how's your daughter doing. Fingers crossed!

They have been back for a week after Easter and still not provided any significant response beyond the initial acknowledgement. TBH, I think the reaction is disgraceful. It seems fairly obvious that there is no interview or offer, but they don't have the decency to put her out of her misery. It'd be nice to just finish it and concentrate on A2s and the offer from Lancaster. They have very little more time left - it must be this week, surely?!
Reply 25
Original post by bb193
They have been back for a week after Easter and still not provided any significant response beyond the initial acknowledgement. TBH, I think the reaction is disgraceful. It seems fairly obvious that there is no interview or offer, but they don't have the decency to put her out of her misery. It'd be nice to just finish it and concentrate on A2s and the offer from Lancaster. They have very little more time left - it must be this week, surely?!

It's really well beyond a joke now. All of the other unis have been in constant contact, and Newcastle have provided absolutely nothing. It is time for a phone call, although it would hard for them to recover from the treatment they have dished out.

For any Fine Art applicants considering Newcastle in the future, it is worth bearing this in mind as a salutary tale. This is particularly when compared with Lancaster, who provided lots of updates, gave their offer before Christmas, and are much higher in the University league tables and higher in the CUG Art & Design league table. Newcastle seemed nice but you can only treat applicants so badly before they look elsewhere. Future applicants - you have been warned!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bb193
It's really well beyond a joke now. All of the other unis have been in constant contact, and Newcastle have provided absolutely nothing. It is time for a phone call, although it would hard for them to recover from the treatment they have dished out.

For any Fine Art applicants considering Newcastle in the future, it is worth bearing this in mind as a salutary tale. This is particularly when compared with Lancaster, who provided lots of updates, gave their offer before Christmas, and are much higher in the University league tables and higher in the CUG Art & Design league table. Newcastle seemed nice but you can only treat applicants so badly before they look elsewhere. Future applicants - you have been warned!

i was in exactly the same position as her! i had to resend my portfolio and they didnt even look at it for nearly 2 months after. i then had to repeatedly ring them to ask to give me a decision and finally on my last phone call they just said they'd run out of spaces, utterly appalling and they were my first choice! really disappointed and im almost glad that i cant go there now- seems like if they cant get it right now it wont be good later on either, such a shame
Reply 27
Original post by ejcowell
i was in exactly the same position as her! i had to resend my portfolio and they didnt even look at it for nearly 2 months after. i then had to repeatedly ring them to ask to give me a decision and finally on my last phone call they just said they'd run out of spaces, utterly appalling and they were my first choice! really disappointed and im almost glad that i cant go there now- seems like if they cant get it right now it wont be good later on either, such a shame

I'm sorry to hear you've been treated badly too. I hope you have another offer that you are happy to accept - and I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you go :smile:
Reply 28
Wow, I thought I was the only one! They actually would not bother to let me know they rejected me if I didn't call them. My first choice as well, but... after such experience, not anymore I guess :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by greni
Wow, I thought I was the only one! They actually would not bother to let me know they rejected me if I didn't call them. My first choice as well, but... after such experience, not anymore I guess :smile:

My daughter submitted her application back in October. The last she heard from Newcastle was in February, confirming receipt of her portfolio. The only updates since then have come from TSR, with people talking about rounds of interviews and offers. She has sent them an email asking for if there are places left, interviews or anything - no reply.

The UCAS timetable (http://www.studential.com/applying/UCAS-deadlines-2015-entry) says:-

[INDENT]'7th May 2015 - If you applied by 15th January, universities and colleges need to send their decisions by this date. If they don't, UCAS will make any outstanding choices unsuccessful on their behalf.'[/INDENT]

7th May is a week tomorrow. There is plainly not enough time for Newcastle to invite, interview and offer anyone anything. So in their own mind, they must have completed the selection process (probably a long time ago) - and not bothered to let those not invited to interview know. Disgraceful.

I think the university league tables (CUG & Guardian) ought to be modified to include the results of a UCAS survey of applicant satisfaction in their algorithms. That would take Newcastle University Fine Art course to their rightful place a good way down the league tables, and provide a strong motivation on all universities to treat applicants better.
Reply 30
They didn't bother to reply to my daughter's email, or send any feedback for the application - just updated Track with a rejection late this afternoon.

So Lancaster is firmed, Reading insurance - and a harsh lesson about Newcastle Fine Art learned.
We apologise for the experience that some Fine Art applicants have had this year. I’ve spoken to the admissions team and they have provided the following information:

We always receive hundreds of applications for our programme and this year have experienced a substantial increase in portfolio submissions on previous years, which has unfortunately led to a long decision-making process.

To ensure we admit the most suitable students for the programme, the offer-making process here at Newcastle is meticulous. From January to April each portfolio is assessed by a member of staff and then the interview process begins, which involves two members of staff and a current student. So it’s a time-consuming but very thorough process. We hold back on making some offers until we have completed the interview process, but we recognise we can make some improvements in our communications here to manage expectations and we have taken your feedback on board.
Reply 32
My son received unconditional offers from other universities and as your experience no interview, no feedback, very disappointing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Newcastle University
We apologise for the experience that some Fine Art applicants have had this year. I’ve spoken to the admissions team and they have provided the following information:

We always receive hundreds of applications for our programme and this year have experienced a substantial increase in portfolio submissions on previous years, which has unfortunately led to a long decision-making process.

To ensure we admit the most suitable students for the programme, the offer-making process here at Newcastle is meticulous. From January to April each portfolio is assessed by a member of staff and then the interview process begins, which involves two members of staff and a current student. So it’s a time-consuming but very thorough process. We hold back on making some offers until we have completed the interview process, but we recognise we can make some improvements in our communications here to manage expectations and we have taken your feedback on board.

Original post by mercury1
My son received unconditional offers from other universities and as your experience no interview, no feedback, very disappointing.

Yes, although it was good to see them (finally) communicate something, they didn't show much sign of 'getting it', did they?

They thought about apologising, saying they had done badly, that they would learn and get better, but ended up saying they had had a lot of applicants and had been very busy, and that was why they messed up (and will probably do the same next year).

As with other unis, the key is to filter out people at each stage as quickly as you can and communicate at all stages to tell people how their application is going. Email makes this simple. It helps the uni focus its efforts, reduce its workload and it also puts unsuccessful applicants out of their misery so they can move on. As but one example, Oxford got as many portfolios and they responded by email in 4-5 days, to all applicants, including those being offered an interview and those not. Newcastle took 3+ months, 20 times as long, and provided no communication whatsoever during that time. They offered interviews much earlier than that - and so already knew large numbers of people on the 'don't interview' pile but didn't tell.

On a really trivial issue, they asked for the portfolio on a memory stick and said they would return it. No sign yet - just one further example of their competence. I think we can safely give up on any expectation of ever seeing that again.

I am afraid my prejudices do start to emerge with this. There seems to be a feeling that you can either be organised or creative but not both - and so if you are organised, you cannot be artistic. One day I'm sure someone will be both and they will rule the world - they just won't come from Newcastle.
Reply 34
Here you go - http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/w150/entryrequirements/

Newcastle University Fine Art department

For 2014 entry, we will accept either ‘real’ portfolios or digital portfolios (on a CD/DVD or memory stick. Please note, we will not accept digital portfolios sent to us by e-mail).
When will the portfolio be returned?
We will return your portfolio to you as soon as possible after inspection, normally within 10 working days. Digital portfolios will be retained as long as necessary and only returned when a SAE is provided.

I know it is trivial, but five weeks after they updated track, they still haven't returned the memory stick. A waste of time providing an SAE - it was just not true. It seems symptomatic - I'm afraid I could never believe anything they said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending