The Student Room Group

Is it unusual to do the travelling solo/backpacking at an older age?

How old are most people who travel, I mean would a woman in her mid 30's be out of place if travelling alone, having fun on beaches etc. I'm not mid thirties yet but will be by the time I've finished studying and am established in a career, I've not even started yet.
Seen plenty of 30+ folks on the road. Perfectly normal.
It's normal for people to travel alone. Nobody really bats an eyelid. It's one of the most invigorating and exciting things to do in life, and the other people who understand that fact are other travellers, so of course they will be happy for you regardless!

However, you must accept that if you stayed in cheap hostels (i.e. £5 per night) then of course it will be full of youngsters. You might not get any sleep, Grandma. :wink:
Reply 3
There is no age limit on travelling. One of the fundamental benefits of travelling is that it releases you from your home culture's preconceptions about how people should conduct their lives, hence any concerns about what one 'should' be doing at any one age have no place in the travellers mindset.

I can only really think of the east coast of Australia as an example of a popular backpacking location outside of Europe where the crowd is particularly young. Everywhere else - Asia, South America, Africa - you get the whole range of ages. Obviously certain locations will attract specific crowds, you don't get many 50-year-olds tubing in Vang Vieng for example, but there will always be a range of activities being enjoyed a range of age groups somewhere nearby.
Never too old to backpack! Age is a state of mind!
Reply 5
Ditto...never ....I will travel at any time in my life.Meet many old men and women on my travel way..just dont worry.

Quick Reply

Latest