The Student Room Group

2014 Graduate Programmes Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TCA2b
Yeah, but they're also competing with other graduate employers, who pay much more generously, so at some point they will up the ante. Also, I was under the impression that PWC now has its graduate students study through online learning? Isn't this a lower level of support than it used to offer? Or do they still offer the same level of support as before?

I've responded to this previously, but yes, it is online learning predominantly, supplemented by a week in college about month before to pick up on anything you don't understand and then the week before exams for question practice and revision. The process has improved as it has gone on, so there are now online Webexs (like skype) to a class in the morning to go over the hard stuff and then you have the rest of the day to work through a study programme. So the support is there should you need it, and the benefit is that you are not trying to learn 3 exams worth of content in 6 weeks, more like 2 exams in 2 and half months, which is pretty good.The pass rate has increased, so I don't think it will be long until the other Big 4s copy.

As for the pay issue, there is no reason to "up the ante", people will always apply to Big 4 and pick it over other offers simply because it is the Big 4, it doesn't need a sweet pay package to secure people.
Are you saying that no matter how much competition they face from other graduate employers, or employers in general for that matter considering the demand for accountants, they will not increase their pay offering, given their aim of attracting the 'best' talent? That would leave them in a peculiarly privileged position as far as graduate employers in finance go. I realise that you have to include elements like the training package into the compensation, which I do, as I acknowledge that this is a fairly expensive part of it, but it's also a benefit in kind. It's encouraging to hear that the new system at PWC has changed things for the better, considering I intend to apply to them at some stage.

Separately to this, could any of you who applied for tax and secured offers describe what sort of traits help in this kind of role and are sought after in the interview process?
Original post by TCA2b
Separately to this, could any of you who applied for tax and secured offers describe what sort of traits help in this kind of role and are sought after in the interview process?

You need to have very strong attention to detail and accuracy in your work.

Also not so much an interview thing but more of a living in tax thing, you have to be aware that you will be learning about some areas in great detail, to the point of being a total expert, which might not be to everyone's taste.
Does anyone know if you get a rejection email from KPMG straight away if you fail a test? My maths test went awfully, but I got an email straight away saying my application would be reviewed by grad recruitment so not sure if that means I passed or not
Reply 1724
Original post by KingPrawn0356
Does anyone know if you get a rejection email from KPMG straight away if you fail a test? My maths test went awfully, but I got an email straight away saying my application would be reviewed by grad recruitment so not sure if that means I passed or not

They take their time, they review your application and see if you have met the benchmarks, then they will let you know by email if you have passed or not. I am at the interview stage for KPMG - no telephone interview bookings available
Reply 1725
Does anyone have any information on how EY and Deloitte do their training now? Have they moved towards the PwC model, or is it still classrooms?
Original post by Deshi
Audit. And it went alright.

Baker Tilly Assessment center:

Pretty standard, lasted just a bit more then 4 hours.

1) Presentation
You start of with a presentation from a partner. He talks about standard stuff and they're expecting you to ask a question or two, so have some prepared.

2) Tests
There's a numerical and verbal reasoning test which I found harder then the online tests if I'm being honest. Just make sure you practice like one a day for each for the days leading up to the assessment center. They already know you can do it, so I envisage the pass rate for this isn't too high. Me and one other guy were the only people with a numerical degree in the group but everyone passed. You get one booklet which has articles/graphs/tables in and you have to answer 40 in 30 minutes for the verbal (iirc) and 35 in 40 for the numerical (my memory isn't too great as I was knackered but I'm pretty sure it was like that). If you're uncomfortable with these tests make sure you practice as they do send you home if you haven't met a specific target.

The most annoying thing about it for me was in the numerical for nearly every question they had an option saying "insufficient data". Sometimes it's obvious that's the answer but other times you can't work out whether you're just being stupid and don't know how to work it out or if there really is insufficient data.

3) Cake/Lunch break
Another standard part of assessment days, meeting people on the graduate course. Ask questions/look interested.

4) Group exercise
Considering they ask us not to write in the booklets I'm assuming they do the same one.

You're a consultant for an electronics company and the CEO has put aside £500,000 for investment. He has a few aims which it'll mention in the introduction, make sure you note these down and refer to them. You get a booklet of information which you have 20 minutes to read through and make notes on. Time was pretty tight on this and people we're still attempting to make notes even after we'd stopped, so keep a look out for the time.

There's at least 5/6 different ideas you have to choose from, make sure you get the jist of all of them and a few pro's and con's for each so when you;re discussing them in group you can contribute as much as possible. Current affairs topics that might help knowing a bit about

Knowing about a company or two who have done well by introducing/improving their online shopping. The entire group felt that the best investments included introducing and improving the online aspect of the company, so if you're making an argument for this case some real life examples to back up your choice will look good. Also talk about the strength of the online market and it's increasing importance in retail (quote some figures if you can)

The only other thing I can think of is maybe knowing about the competition for these types of companies in the east, especially Japan. One of the ideas is expanding into Japan so you can counteract it by talking about how there's a lot of competition there and the like.

Listing of real life examples to back up your argument will make you look good. They don't make you present your findings so they're only assessing how you interact and discuss the points in a group.

Other little things that will apply to nearly every assessment center. Be vocal but don't be too vocal. Learn as many names as possible and refer to people by them. If someone's a bit quiet ask them for their opinion.

Hey... I have an assessment day coming up for Baker Tilly. I have done the first part however as I did this at another location to the one AlI have chosen I have to go back and do the Partner a interview with case study. I just wondered if you could explain what the Case Study presentation was about. The type of questions they asked and what it entails please. Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Does anyone know the salary for Barclays Finance?
Anyone here joining EY FS audit London in September?? I signed my offer and got a confirmation, but that's about it. Has anyone received any further information??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending