The Student Room Group

3 network personal hotspot allowance?

So we have a phone with unlimited mobile phone data and a 2GB personal hotspot allowance, which we can use by connecting external devices to. Now Ive heard stories that this 2GB doesnt exist and its away to keep people from abusing the system... How true is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
So we have a phone with unlimited mobile phone data and a 2GB personal hotspot allowance, which we can use by connecting external devices to. Now Ive heard stories that this 2GB doesnt exist and its away to keep people from abusing the system... How true is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by doesn't exist? The amount of data your devices consume is measurable and mobile networks enforce the limits in their plans by either stopping you using data or charging you extra once you've reached the agreed upon allowance.
I think he's asking whether the networks can tell if you're using the data on the device itself, or for tethering - I don't think they can see the difference as it's a phone function, not a network one.
Also, I'm on Three pay as you go which supposedly doesn't allow tethering, but I tether my laptop to my iPhone quite often when I don't have wifi - so they don't have control over this. :ahee:
Reply 4
Original post by jameswhughes
I think he's asking whether the networks can tell if you're using the data on the device itself, or for tethering - I don't think they can see the difference as it's a phone function, not a network one.

Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending