The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for medicine after I graduate?

OK currently I am a third yr pharmacy student, really considering applying for medicine after I graduate (crazy I know). I had always intended to do medicine but a lack of maturity and confidence saw me apply to pharmacy which I saw rather naively as 'easier'. Anyhow I was doing something healthcare related which was always my goal.
I'm really unsure however about my eligibility. At the moment I'm sitting just below a 2:1 and from what I can see this would rule me out of just about every medical school for graduate entry. I wonder however would I be considered for entry into the normal 'undergraduate' entry course since my A levels ect would all satisfy the academic requirements which would be asked of school leavers.?
To me it seems slightly unfair that I would be rejected based on having a degree below a 2:1, even though my school grades would satisfy the entrance requirements if I had just left school and had no previous degree. In retrospect perhaps I would have been better off not undertaking a degree previous to medicine!
Any information or advice would be appreciated. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think all GEM courses, bar 2, ask for a 2:1+, the ones that accept a 2:2 ask for a masters with merit or above, though someone else may know more about this than me!
You could apply for 5 year courses, but there's no tuition fee loan, so you'd need £36k spare really. I think they'd all make any offer conditional on your degree as it's your most recent indication of academic achievement, opposed to A-Levels.

You say you're just below a 2:1, is there no chance you could bump it up by the end of 3rd year?

Also, applying for medicine as a graduate is totally not crazy :wink:
Original post by Going_To_California
I think all GEM courses, bar 2, ask for a 2:1+, the ones that accept a 2:2 ask for a masters with merit or above, though someone else may know more about this than me!
You could apply for 5 year courses, but there's no tuition fee loan, so you'd need £36k spare really. I think they'd all make any offer conditional on your degree as it's your most recent indication of academic achievement, opposed to A-Levels.

You say you're just below a 2:1, is there no chance you could bump it up by the end of 3rd year?

Also, applying for medicine as a graduate is totally not crazy :wink:

Wait, what? Can you elaborate on this?? Never heard this before.
Original post by Future.MD
Wait, what? Can you elaborate on this?? Never heard this before.

If you already have a degree, and you get accepted on to a 5 year medicine course you cannot get loans for the first four years of tuition fees. So you need £36k to pay for it.
Original post by ForestCat
If you already have a degree, and you get accepted on to a 5 year medicine course you cannot get loans for the first four years of tuition fees. So you need £36k to pay for it.

Oh, interesting. Do you know if this is the case for;

Graduates accepted into the 4year program

And

Those with 2yr university into the 5year program?
Oh, interesting. Do you know if this is the case for;

Graduates accepted into the 4year program

And

Those with 2yr university into the 5year program?

Graduates on the four year course get partial funding by the NHS and partial by loans. You need the first £3465 upfront for first year though.

You would still class as an undergraduate entry student but not all (if any) would accept you part way through a degree. (You're an international aren't you, in which case you would be subject to international fees and no tuition fee loans).
Woah...what? I thought the 5yr programs took "school leavers" ? Is that only applicable in Ireland? :confused:
Woah...what? I thought the 5yr programs took "school leavers" ? Is that only applicable in Ireland? :confused:

The 5 year programmes are designed for school leavers.

Yes, they take school leavers, as in people who are leaving school/have just left but have not undertaken any higher education. They don't tend to take people that are current university students, accept they apply in their final year (or some, but not many, will accept applicants from first year of university).

Ronove has previously corrected me that many require American students (I know you're Canadian) to have done first year of undergrad (because American high school qualifications are not always sufficient) but I don't know if they accept students in the middle of their degrees. You will have to do some research and contact medical schools directly ( to see if they would accept your application) if you want to apply to medicine in the UK.
Original post by rem110892
OK currently I am a third yr pharmacy student, really considering applying for medicine after I graduate (crazy I know). I had always intended to do medicine but a lack of maturity and confidence saw me apply to pharmacy which I saw rather naively as 'easier'. Anyhow I was doing something healthcare related which was always my goal.
I'm really unsure however about my eligibility. At the moment I'm sitting just below a 2:1 and from what I can see this would rule me out of just about every medical school for graduate entry. I wonder however would I be considered for entry into the normal 'undergraduate' entry course since my A levels ect would all satisfy the academic requirements which would be asked of school leavers.?
To me it seems slightly unfair that I would be rejected based on having a degree below a 2:1, even though my school grades would satisfy the entrance requirements if I had just left school and had no previous degree. In retrospect perhaps I would have been better off not undertaking a degree previous to medicine!

Do as much as possible to improve your grades and get at least a 2:1. It will increase your options so much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by rem110892

GEM: 2 Med schools accept a 2ii outright, a further 3 med schools will accept a 2ii with a MSc of which one requires the MSc to be at merit or higher.

5 year: 2 med schools accept a 2ii

Of those that accept a 2ii, all require the GAMSAT entrance exam. Of the 3 that accept a 2ii+MSc, one requires GAMSAT and the remaining two are UKCAT.

I would seriously suggest you get your ass in gear and get a 2i. Opens up lots far more options. Read the TSR wiki article, all the info is there.
Seriously ditch everything and hike up to a 2.1 - GEM is all about keeping as many doors open as possible regards applying
Reply 12
Hello Guys!

I hope you could shine some light on my eligibility, cannot really find better place to put this question along I heard here's the best!

- What are your current stats?
Predicted 1:1 Msc from London University (Pharmacology) 2:1 Undergrad London University (Medical biochemistry), tons of work experience(hospital pharmacy carers home, hospice, homeless shelter, work abroad etc etc. I am a tutor and medical scripts translator as I come from Poland... In UKCAT I got 680 but can re do it for better!

- What are you studying for A Level?
ABBC and 9 GCSE's A-C, mostly B

- Which universities are you thinking of applying to right now?
Thats my problem I dont know which Universities I should apply and could you suggest something pretty please! (either Undergrad or Postgraduate entry)

Cheers
Original post by cebex
Hello Guys!

I hope you could shine some light on my eligibility, cannot really find better place to put this question along I heard here's the best!

- What are your current stats?
Predicted 1:1 Msc from London University (Pharmacology) 2:1 Undergrad London University (Medical biochemistry), tons of work experience(hospital pharmacy carers home, hospice, homeless shelter, work abroad etc etc. I am a tutor and medical scripts translator as I come from Poland... In UKCAT I got 680 but can re do it for better!

- What are you studying for A Level?
ABBC and 9 GCSE's A-C, mostly B

- Which universities are you thinking of applying to right now?
Thats my problem I dont know which Universities I should apply and could you suggest something pretty please! (either Undergrad or Postgraduate entry)

Cheers

Have a look at the graduate entry medicine wiki and go from there. You should have plenty of options, it just depends which entrance exams you want to take (and doing well in them).
Reply 14
Which ones you would recommend that value high personal achievements and experience in being a leader and well rounded person, rather than pure grades? I know all of them do but which especially ?
Reply 15
Original post by cebex
Which ones you would recommend that value high personal achievements and experience in being a leader and well rounded person, rather than pure grades? I know all of them do but which especially ?

Check the wiki, there's an applying to strengths article there somewhere.
Reply 16
In many topics here, you guys underline the need to point out your real strengths. My question is how you potentiate and write about skills that maybe 5% of people here have such as:
"I have travelled around Europe for a month with no money just my backpack and tent" -during this time I learnt way more lifeskills than 2 years in my college etc

"Can benchpress 150kg" i suppose not that many people here focus their life's on active lifestyle and hardcore gym.

Many thanks for replies
Original post by cebex
In many topics here, you guys underline the need to point out your real strengths. My question is how you potentiate and write about skills that maybe 5% of people here have such as:
"I have travelled around Europe for a month with no money just my backpack and tent" -during this time I learnt way more lifeskills than 2 years in my college etc

"Can benchpress 150kg" i suppose not that many people here focus their life's on active lifestyle and hardcore gym.

Many thanks for replies

The key is to highlight key strengths relative to the school you're applying to, and their criteria.

For medicine no one wants to know that you can benchpress 150kg. They don't want to know that you've backpacked around Europe.

They want to know you have the key attributes to study medicine and to work as a doctor. Now SOME of those competencies (things like resilience) you could argue from the two above examples. Determination too. But ultimately the bulk of your PS will be about caring/voluntary experience and what you've learnt from shadowing. You only need a small paragraph on why you're sane and not going to kill anyone intentionally...
Reply 18
Original post by MJK91
The key is to highlight key strengths relative to the school you're applying to, and their criteria.

For medicine no one wants to know that you can benchpress 150kg. They don't want to know that you've backpacked around Europe.

They want to know you have the key attributes to study medicine and to work as a doctor. Now SOME of those competencies (things like resilience) you could argue from the two above examples. Determination too. But ultimately the bulk of your PS will be about caring/voluntary experience and what you've learnt from shadowing. You only need a small paragraph on why you're sane and not going to kill anyone intentionally...

Very true for the personal statement.

For the interview it may be useful to bring up. Wasn't planning on bringing up powerlifting etc, but 20% of one of my interviews was explaining the difference between it and Olympic lifting. I wouldn't have spoken about it had they not asked specifically and it only formed a short line on my personal statement.

My other two interviews could not care less about hobbies though. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending