The Student Room Group

Should I go for Southampton or Keele?

Hello everyone,

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Keele (A100) and Southampton (BM6) for Medicine :smile:

But honestly I'm stuck on which one to firm and insurance. My dilemma is as follows:

1. Grades hopefully will not be a problem so I cannot use it as a ruling out factor.

2. Southampton's offer is BBC so if I firm it then I'm basically guaranteed to go there. If I insurance them but I change my mind, its highly unlikely I'll get an offer due to their waiting list and small class size.

3. Keele's offer is Three As so if I insurance them there's no point because I don't meet the conditions for Southampton then overall I'm taking a gap year.

4. Keele are incredibly high for student satisfaction- good lectures and feedback etc. But again statics can be misleading and I haven't had an opportunity to speak to any students :frown: I cannot go to the open day before the UCAS deadline because of the ticket costs and stuff.

5. Southampton, from talking to medical students, seems like a fantastic medical school to be part of but when looking at percentage of student's being pleased with feedback etc its okay at 63% especially compared to Keele. Their next applicant day is after the deadline.

6.I think I would prefer lectures and I've heard the tutorials at Southampton are really good more but after self teaching several A levels I am open to PBL and being more self directed overall.

7. For the whole student experience, like social life (I like the idea of student cinemas etc rather than partying) I think Southampton will be better but I'm not sure :/ I feel like I'm being a bit prejudgemental about Keele...

Any student experiences from either university or tips on how to make a decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mel1312
Hello everyone,

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Keele (A100) and Southampton (BM6) for Medicine :smile:

But honestly I'm stuck on which one to firm and insurance. My dilemma is as follows:

1. Grades hopefully will not be a problem so I cannot use it as a ruling out factor.

2. Southampton's offer is BBC so if I firm it then I'm basically guaranteed to go there. If I insurance them but I change my mind, its highly unlikely I'll get an offer due to their waiting list and small class size.

3. Keele's offer is Three As so if I insurance them there's no point because I don't meet the conditions for Southampton then overall I'm taking a gap year.

4. Keele are incredibly high for student satisfaction- good lectures and feedback etc. But again statics can be misleading and I haven't had an opportunity to speak to any students :frown: I cannot go to the open day before the UCAS deadline because of the ticket costs and stuff.

5. Southampton, from talking to medical students, seems like a fantastic medical school to be part of but when looking at percentage of student's being pleased with feedback etc its okay at 63% especially compared to Keele. Their next applicant day is after the deadline.

6.I think I would prefer lectures and I've heard the tutorials at Southampton are really good more but after self teaching several A levels I am open to PBL and being more self directed overall.

7. For the whole student experience, like social life (I like the idea of student cinemas etc rather than partying) I think Southampton will be better but I'm not sure :/ I feel like I'm being a bit prejudgemental about Keele...

Any student experiences from either university or tips on how to make a decision would be greatly appreciated.

similar dilemma to yours something about soton l can't let it go have to decide between southamptonor KCL
Original post by OG-J3nn
similar dilemma to yours something about soton l can't let it go have to decide between southamptonor KCL

Original post by Mel1312
Hello everyone,

have you decided yet? Im in a similar situation too, afraid i cant really help!
Reply 3
Original post by Anon12345678
have you decided yet? Im in a similar situation too, afraid i cant really help!

decided to go down to soton to see it again just to make sure
Reply 4
Original post by Anon12345678
Oh was there an open day? Or did you just go down to look around?

help with your decision?

they had campus tours last month :rolleyes:, couldnt attend but I'm going down for an independent tour next week
Reply 5
Original post by toocoldforuhere
What did you end up choosing?

decided to firm KCL , l think in the long run l'l be happier closer to home still love soton though :rolleyes:
Reply 6
I did BM6 and I'm amazing if that helps.

I would have chosen Soton as Keele is too far way from things for me.
Reply 7
Um, choose the shorter course (Keele). It'll save you £9000...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Updates??
Original post by FaridaHasanova
Updates??

The user hasn't been on for almost a year. But if it helps, their profile suggests they chose Southampton.
Original post by Blazingphoenix
The user hasn't been on for almost a year. But if it helps, their profile suggests they chose Southampton.

Quick Reply

Latest