The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sonusha88
Thank you :smile: I am trying to email universities and have their opinion on it to make sure. Perhaps even apply to a university that offers three languages and say I would drop Russian after the first year. I agree with you on the literature and difficulty - I know a native friend (100% lived in Russia for years) who couldn't do her A-level Russian to a good-enough standard, simply because of the exam technique!

Yeah it's always a good idea to ask if you have questions. No-one can answer you better than they can. I was going to email them myself because I don't have any gcse's and I don't know if that would be a problem. My friend who is in the same situation emailed them and they said it wouldn't be a problem but I would like to check for myself :smile:
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Yeah it's always a good idea to ask if you have questions. No-one can answer you better than they can. I was going to email them myself because I don't have any gcse's and I don't know if that would be a problem. My friend who is in the same situation emailed them and they said it wouldn't be a problem but I would like to check for myself :smile:

Yeah, uni's are all so different! It'a best to ask because you'll get a specific answer relating to your situation. :smile:
I was having a look around and I found a NatSci interview question, most likely for Bio NatSci but I'm sure anyone from any course can answer it:

How many animals did Moses take on the ark?
Original post by Sonusha88
Yeah I am hoping that my PS and interview (if I get one :tongue:) will allow me to show my passion for the subject. I have personal experiences to back it up with since I've moved around quite a bit, and forgotten most of the language! :frown:

When it comes to being able to show your passion, you're at an advantage at Oxbridge because they interview everyone, so I wouldn't worry about that. A lot of universities don't mind as long as they are 'respected' subjects - I heard of someone who got accepted for History of Art who had all science A-Levels, for example.
Original post by enaayrah
I was having a look around and I found a NatSci interview question, most likely for Bio NatSci but I'm sure anyone from any course can answer it:

How many animals did Moses take on the ark?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by antisansculotte
When it comes to being able to show your passion, you're at an advantage at Oxbridge because they interview everyone, so I wouldn't worry about that. A lot of universities don't mind as long as they are 'respected' subjects - I heard of someone who got accepted for History of Art who had all science A-Levels, for example.

Yeah I guess so. Wow really? She/He must have had the passion of 5 candidates!
Original post by jneill

Spoiler

it definitely wouldn't, but just to get us thinking the right way... :tongue:
it definitely wouldn't, but just to get us thinking the right way... :tongue:

Who is Moses anyway..
I thought it was Noah's ark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by antisansculotte

Cambridge interview alot around 80% but oxford is far less nearer to 50% I believe. So oxbridge don't interview everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Who is Moses anyway..

That's the point :wink:
Original post by jneill
That's the point :wink:

Oh...
Is Moses another bible person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Who is Moses anyway..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha you got it :tongue:
I can imagine myself saying something like 5 million under pressure though :lol:
Original post by C0balt
Oh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, he's the most important prophet in Judaism, and important in Christianity and Islam too :smile:
Original post by C0balt
Oh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moses is the person who split the ocean in half I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol

He split the sea in two, helped the oppressed escape from Egypt
Original post by physicsmaths
Moses is the person who split the ocean in half I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, he's the most important prophet in Judaism, and important in Christianity and Islam too :smile:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol

He split the sea in two, helped the oppressed escape from Egypt

OHHH THAT ONE

I'm not good with names :sexface:
(I went to a Catholic school for six years oopsie)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
It sounds like a high performing school as they kick people out so I expected more applicants haha
I'm pretty sure it will end up being 2 or 3 on the results day though...majority of the group is kinda...well you know... From their subject choice it's already a bit off

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a high performing school at all, but they try very hard to make it look that way.
You're not even allowed to take five subjects, which I would have liked to do, because "A levels are a huge step up from GCSE and you will find it really hard even with 4 subjects, we advise you don't take 4 to A2". Yeah, a lot of people have really struggled, but personally I have 'only' five frees a week because I take 4 subjects + compulsory General Studies, and I struggle to fill the time, even if I bring in past papers from home and stuff. I am very much not the norm at my school.

(When I said 'kick out' I meant more along the lines of 'blackmailed and forced to drop subjects with the threat of being kicked out otherwise', which boosts their pass rates because if they don't enter people, people can't fail. Pass rates don't discriminate between people who are doing Maths, History, Physics and Chemistry and people who are doing Media Studies, Sociology and BTEC Health and Social Care, so school is naturally opposed to people taking the 'risk' of biting off more than they can chew and making them look bad.)

The reason I've said there are about 3 people who might get in is that we are not really pushed to go to Oxbridge here, so we don't have a group for people who might apply. So in the absence of that I've used myself as a benchmark, and there are only maybe 3 people who achieve as highly as I do. There might have been a few more, except they didn't do their research/underestimated their abilities when they chose their A levels and picked Psychology over Maths, or something else ridiculous like that.
Original post by C0balt
Oh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's the dude who received the ten commandments... if you're into Old Testament legends.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses
Original post by C0balt
Oh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's モーゼ in Japanese, if that's easier for you to know who he is.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also male.I feel so outnumbered.I guess it's because I never really met a female in real life who loved science and maths.

I understand this feeling actually. Although I'm female myself I have yet to meet another female IRL who loves science AND maths as much as I do (it seems to be one or the other with girls I've met, whereas I love both).

Latest

Trending

Trending