The Student Room Group

Young investment banker program april 19 2015 at UCL

Anyone else going to this ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Billylstone

I'm going, no idea what to expect or if it's worth the money.

Lol. The stuff they sell to kids, I hope you get your moneys worth. There are books out there for a fraction of the price that would give you so much more value if you are willing to put in the hours and work at it.

Please inform me what you leant via inbox and I'll shoot you over some decent books you may want to look at depending on which sector you want join.

Some banks even have free PDF's and guides that are more sufficient as an introduction.
Reply 3
Original post by TheRenaissanceMan
Lol. The stuff they sell to kids, I hope you get your moneys worth. There are books out there for a fraction of the price that would give you so much more value if you are willing to put in the hours and work at it.

Please inform me what you leant via inbox and I'll shoot you over some decent books you may want to look at depending on which sector you want join.

Some banks even have free PDF's and guides that are more sufficient as an introduction.

In all honesty, it was a complete waste of time and money. Bar the case studies we worked through, everything else can be found through sites such as M&I. Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you.
Original post by elle77
In all honesty, it was a complete waste of time and money. Bar the case studies we worked through, everything else can be found through sites such as M&I. Thanks for the offer, I'll PM you.

Wow. Horrible.

That is unfortunate, and you seem to have great initiative !

If anyone else has any feedback then please do tell me, it would be very helpful for me.

Follow-up questions
1. What type of information would you require? Do you think an introduction book would be useful for individuals in your age bracket
2. Do you think you would have payed money to spread for mentoring over a certain period with lets say a Msc student at a Top 5 institution with plenty of experience? Instead of one day. Covering things like balancing university time, with specific extra-curricular etc etc.

Thanks anyone else who has a response/ideas this would be helpful.
Original post by elle77

Yeah I felt the same way haha. Just brief information and nothing more.
Reply 6
Yeah I felt the same way haha. Just brief information and nothing more.

So would you not recommend this at all? There is another opportunity to go on 12 July and I am currently looking into this. Can you give any more information on how the day went?
Thanks a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was just a power point presentation, with a few speakers vaguely explaining the roles, and also a few case studies.(just looked like generic questions to me).
Reply 8
It was just a power point presentation, with a few speakers vaguely explaining the roles, and also a few case studies.(just looked like generic questions to me).

Thanks for getting back to me. That's a shame! Yet will it be something you can still mention in a CV/Personal statement etc? And do you still intend to head towards that career?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be putting it on my cv, you might as well go and see for yourself. Look's good for initiative I suppose.
I went on the Young Investment Banker Programme last year when I was in upper sixth and found it massively useful. I knew pretty much nothing about the career beforehand except that it was well-paid and glamorous! I came out of the course knowing a lot more detail about what it involves and the case studies were really interesting and fun. I think it's one of those things that you appreciate more when you get to university - a lot of the guys in my year want to do banking but I'm much more clued-up than they are so I guess doing something like this in sixth form gets you a step ahead. I also kept in touch with one of the bankers who taught on the course and he's given me some really good advice - we met up for coffee recently.
im looking to go on the young investor banking programme in February any recommendations regarding if i should or shouldn't go?
Original post by mubashir_ellahi
im looking to go on the young investor banking programme in February any recommendations regarding if i should or shouldn't go?

It is a waste of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mubashir_ellahi

Spend a day reading through Mergers and Inquisitions and you'll learn just as much. http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/articles/
Reply 14
Original post by Princepieman
It is a waste of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Sorry for bringing this year old thread up)
Is it not good to put on a CV though? Doesn't it show initiative?
Original post by IMZL
(Sorry for bringing this year old thread up)
Is it not good to put on a CV though? Doesn't it show initiative?

No.. You can show initiative by applying to a-level/year 13 insight days (or programmes) at the banks themselves. I see 0 reason to fork out money for something when there's a literal goldmine of information about the career online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Princepieman
No.. You can show initiative by applying to a-level/year 13 insight days (or programmes) at the banks themselves. I see 0 reason to fork out money for something when there's a literal goldmine of information about the career online.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair point, well made. What are the best websites, other than M&A?
This is a complete waste. I made the mistake of attending this, and they will advertise saying how you get to meet representatives from the top IB's, however literally everyone that was there when I went was a FORMER IB employee. Which makes complete sense, I mean, if they actually worked for an IB, they wouldn't exactly have time to mess around with this **** on a weekend.

Also its heavily biased towards S&T. So if M&A is what you wanna do, then its ****ing useless, the only benefit is that you get to go through a proper DCF valuation and another M&A case study.

You also get Assessment Centre exercises (the Group ones) but they too are beyond helpful. Firstly, its done in groups of 10, which you'll rarely see at an AC. But more importantly, the people that assess you are the former employees, and some of them don't really pay attention to how you perform, so you can't really improve.

Not worth the money basically. If it was about £150 less, I would consider it worth it, but otherwise, would not recommend going.
I thought it was awesome - a lot of the stuff you get from banks is self-serving marketing drab. These guys are independent and found them v useful. Not sure what you mean by the groups of 10 thing not being useful - where else can you practice an assessment centre with people you don't know and get feedback. Also loads of them are still working at IBs - I got in touch with the girl from Morgan Stanley; we went for coffee recently and she's letting me put her name down on my app!

Original post by Fas
This is a complete waste. I made the mistake of attending this, and they will advertise saying how you get to meet representatives from the top IB's, however literally everyone that was there when I went was a FORMER IB employee. Which makes complete sense, I mean, if they actually worked for an IB, they wouldn't exactly have time to mess around with this **** on a weekend.

Also its heavily biased towards S&T. So if M&A is what you wanna do, then its ****ing useless, the only benefit is that you get to go through a proper DCF valuation and another M&A case study.

You also get Assessment Centre exercises (the Group ones) but they too are beyond helpful. Firstly, its done in groups of 10, which you'll rarely see at an AC. But more importantly, the people that assess you are the former employees, and some of them don't really pay attention to how you perform, so you can't really improve.

Not worth the money basically. If it was about £150 less, I would consider it worth it, but otherwise, would not recommend going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending