The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Student life at Royal Holloway

Hello:smile:

I know student life, clubbing and going out shouldn't be my main reason for a going to a particular Uni but the only downside to RH is that its student life isn't good... is this true? What is the nightlife like? and also Egham and shops? Is it easy to get a job?

Thanks!!
Original post by maddieh19
Hello:smile:

I know student life, clubbing and going out shouldn't be my main reason for a going to a particular Uni but the only downside to RH is that its student life isn't good... is this true? What is the nightlife like? and also Egham and shops? Is it easy to get a job?

Thanks!!

Okay so firstly it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Okay so you have to walk/train every where but it's really not that bad if you're used to public transport.

So nightlife - Yep on campus it is basically the SU on Wednesday/Friday for a clubbing night at the uni and you will hear people constantly complain about how 'boring' it us but they do run fun events (paint/UV/foam parties and theme nights) to be honest its kind of who you go with. All I can say is i come from Exeter and i'd take the SU over a night out there any day. Either way the Local student pub Monkeys Forehead run Monkeys Monday which is always super popular with students, you will learn to love it. Also monkeys to a £7 Trip clubbing to Windsor on Thursdays that includes transport, entry and a shot wich aint bad! Plus in groups taxis to Windsor can be really cheap Gems Cars does £5 per car which between 4 is decent. Also clubs there run promos for students especially for groups of girls.

Now Egham/shopping - Its like a 15/20 minute walk into Egham (Though drunkly once I ran to the station in 8 ... it is possible :biggrin: ) In terms of food shopping Tesco delivery is the best thing that ever happened so don't bother walking down for food! There are some nice pubs/restaurants to go for food in Egham though there aren't many, as well as your classic Subway and Costa coffee. For decent shopping you can head into Staines (1 stop away on the train, no one ever checks tickets) or Windsor. Both are decent for shopping/going out for meals, Staines also has the nearest cinema Vue.
Only other thing I can say is don't worry about jobs! During early October the Uni holds a jobs fair that you can go to and meet local businesses looking for workers plus all the on campus jobs available.
Hope this helps :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending