The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

MSc Software Development September 2015

Is anyone who has passed the aptitude test starting the masters in Software Development in September?

Or is there anyone on the course now, how intense is it? and did you get a chance to do your dissertation on placement?

Scroll to see replies

Hi Stephen, I'm starting this masters come September. Asides from being worried about the intensity of the course, I've never lived in Belfast before nor do I know one person in the area. To say I'm worried about the next year is an understatement.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
I just uploaded my undergrad classification to accept the offer. I am worried because I literally know nothing about programming, and I am terrible at maths, might look over some things over the summer before it starts. The Queens area in Belfast is good, it is mostly all students you will be fine. Were are you from? I think they increased the class number to 100 people as well lol.
...oh where did you hear about the class number? That's more opportunity to make friends! I'm based in Galway city, coming from an arts degree (Sociology, Political Science & English), so I'm in the same boat as you with the lack of maths. Where are you based?

Have you any plan for accommodation ?
Reply 4
Galway is amazing! It says on the course website that there is 100 places. Same I done my BA in politics at queens, should have been doing IT so this course is the best option. I live 20 mins away from queens will be at home for the year. Going to start applying for graduate jobs in Dublin soon after it starts.

Were are you planning on living in Belfast, anything sorted? The course director said some of the best previous students came from arts undergrads, so well be fine hopefully!! Think class is 9-5 3 days too.
...have you met the course director? And only 9-5 for three days? You've got loads of information I wouldn't be able to find. Friends of friends have done the course before coming from BAs and they really enjoyed it. Smart idea applying for jobs, I may venture across the pond job permitting though.

I would like to live in Stranmillis , or any kind of house in a nice close proximity really, but knowing no one will prove difficult to get a house or share with people. Willow walk is always a final resort I guess, but I don't like student accommodation too much, you're treated like children with curfews in many of those places.
Reply 6
Yeah he was at the aptitude test back in February. Thats what the school said when I emailed them it will prop be more no doubt. Stranmillis, lisburn road or willow walk definitely wouldn't recommend the holylands lol. My friends live in stranmillis think it 260 a month each and its pretty good for a student house. Willow walk looks good but in elms its strict can't bring friends in after 11.

I am away on holiday until the 27th September so prop wont make it in the first day.
Reply 7
Hello there,
I'm in the process of deciding whether to do this or a similar course at another uni I found that is totally online, but spread over two years.I figure I'll apply anyway as I hear that they might be running another aptitude test sometime soon.

Can also confirm that you get Wednesday and Thursday off.I've heard that the job prospects are pretty good from this course do you guys know of people who have secured work through it then?
Reply 8
I think the last one was at the start of June but email the school and see if they are running another test. I emailed them when I was applying and they said some students had jobs waiting for them when the course finished. Although maybe we would need some experience after to get a proper graduate job, really not sure wish I knew someone who has done it or studying it now.
Reply 9
Aye I think they're running another if they aren't at capacity after the test in June (according to admissions this is probable)
Just found out a good mate of mine completed this course this year and already has something lined up in England which is good to hear 😃
Reply 10
Some of the questions on the test were so random, most of it was just logical questions. Seems like a popular course UCD in Dublin and Ulster in Coleraine run a similar course. What did your mate do his undergrad in, did he have any prior programming knowledge?

I would have no interest in going to England unless it was London, hope companies in Belfast or Dublin have hired people from this before. The new cyber security MSc looks good but you need either computer science or this conversion masters to get in http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/eeecs/StudyattheSchool/MastersProgrammes/MScCyberSecurity/
Reply 11
Original post by Stephenb93
Some of the questions on the test were so random, most of it was just logical questions. Seems like a popular course UCD in Dublin and Ulster in Coleraine run a similar course. What did your mate do his undergrad in, did he have any prior programming knowledge?

I would have no interest in going to England unless it was London, hope companies in Belfast or Dublin have hired people from this before. The new cyber security MSc looks good but you need either computer science or this conversion masters to get in http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/eeecs/StudyattheSchool/MastersProgrammes/MScCyberSecurity/

Oh o.k, l assumed it would be heavy on numeric reasoning, logical questioning sets my heart at ease.
Thanks for that, I didn't know Coleraine/ UCD ran similar courses, I've had a quick look and it is really hard to compare the courses by simply looking at the modules. At first glance it seems that the computer science course at UCD is perhaps the most comprehensive and as a consequence might be the most future proof from a professional perspective, the prices are similar also, hmmm, I'll have to investigate.

No he came from a totally unrelated field and had no programming knowledge.
Reply 12
No the only maths was basic maths like 50-12 lol it got a bit harder towards the end of each set of questions. Yeah the UCD one looks better but not sure if there is a chance of placement on it. Although, there is a lot more American IT investment in Dublin would probably have a very good chance of getting a job out of it.

Thats good, was worrying a bit because I have literally no knowledge at all in anything software related. Have now from the end of September to look it up.
I just uploaded my undergrad classification to accept the offer. I am worried because I literally know nothing about programming, and I am terrible at maths, might look over some things over the summer before it starts. The Queens area in Belfast is good, it is mostly all students you will be fine. Were are you from? I think they increased the class number to 100 people as well lol.

You don't need maths if it software development but I am curious, why did you decide to go into a subject you have not even bothered reading/doing? There are tons of resources to start now. Remember, most likely they give you a book/resources and you will have to learn on your own.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Juichiro
You don't need maths if it software development but I am curious, why did you decide to go into a subject you have not even bothered reading/doing? There are tons of resources to start now. Remember, most likely they give you a book/resources and you will have to learn on your own.

I have looked into it most of the professional jobs in Northern Ireland now and in the future will be software based, and I have been funded to study it. Also the school system here is shocking they teach people like me when I was doing my A levels 3 years ago the skills for an economy of 20 years ago. I never had the opportunity to study IT apart from at looking online resources.

If people on it now coming from 2:2 undergads in English lit etc with little software knowledge prior to starting it and work in the software industry after completing it hopefully I can as well.
I have looked into it most of the professional jobs in Northern Ireland now and in the future will be software based, and I have been funded to study it. Also the school system here is shocking they teach people like me when I was doing my A levels 3 years ago the skills for an economy of 20 years ago. I never had the opportunity to study IT apart from at looking online resources.

If people on it now coming from 2:2 undergads in English lit etc with little software knowledge prior to starting it and work in the software industry after completing it hopefully I can as well.

That's not a good mindset to have. You should aim to excellence not to mediocrity.
Reply 16
Is anyone who has passed the aptitude test starting the masters in Software Development in September?

Or is there anyone on the course now, how intense is it? and did you get a chance to do your dissertation on placement?

Hi Stephen, and everyone else. I will be starting the MSc in September, just have to wait on my degree classification. The Open University seem to take their time!lol I have some basic knowledge of software engineering having worked for a small tech company here in Belfast for the past 5 years. My role at the minute is as technical trainer for new applications but I rarely get to experience any of the development of this software.

It'll be good to get a feel for how the course is going to be. I'd imagine there will be a fair bit of independent learning but hopefully we will be placed in smaller groups and be able to help each other out. I ordered myself an introduction to software development textbook today to get a good understanding of the types of modules we will be studying.

Here is a link for the book if anyone is interested:
https://wordery.com/software-systems-development-a-gentle-introduction-carol-britton-9780077111038?currency=GBP&gtrck=OUxBR2R1NGFIVnlUOWdWNFVJdGFqdFR4VWlSRUNDQ0RLWVA2V0Q1Q3lFR0FGbDhXRUR6VXIvZ2xPYXJPaEJYV1M1NDEzelpuVVNRWVBXNzA0ek5vVXc9PQ&gclid=CPbViLnsxMYCFayWtAod2LEGmQ

Regards

Michael
I found the NUIG course to be the most diverse but takes two years, second of which is all research. With Queen's you get it all within the year which won it for me. Michael that book looks pricey, is it good? I was thinking of doing some online courses, but I'm not the best self motivator being honest.

p.s. anyone interested in sharing a house? Would be very helpful living with people in the same course
Reply 18
Original post by Clairetoons
I found the NUIG course to be the most diverse but takes two years, second of which is all research. With Queen's you get it all within the year which won it for me. Michael that book looks pricey, is it good? I was thinking of doing some online courses, but I'm not the best self motivator being honest.

p.s. anyone interested in sharing a house? Would be very helpful living with people in the same course

Hi Claire,

The textbook hasn't arrived but I'll let you know if it was worth the cash. It seems to cover all of the major fundamental topics although I'm fairly sure we will be covering some more advanced stuff. Getting familiar with the subject area will be helpful but don't stress too much as the staff are not expecting us to have encountered the material before and will surely have a structure in place to help us learn.
I live in Belfast and am planning on returning to my folks place for the year. You'll have no problem finding postgrad students to live with. I would even suggest starting a new forum discussion about looking for suitable accommodation.

Regards

Michael
Reply 19
Hi Michael,

That is good at least you have 5 years experience, that will put you in excellent standing when we come to apply for jobs next year. That book looks good, I was able to get a few in pdf format from google and off torrent. I uploaded them onto dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hel3aoctrcy8ibl/AAC2lhK432k-8jYUfyQvcZqxa?dl=0 (You might have to download dropbox for the link to work).

Yeah I am sure most people in the class are going to be in the same position, it looks like there is alot of group work throughout the modules. From the website it says we are doing sql, databases, java and software engineering in the first semester, so I will just read those books and watch a few tutorials on youtube on sql etc before we properly start in October.

The estate agents might have some house shares available on their websites :\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending