The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Well yeah it's mostly that post like obviously it's one individual, but also the number of people picking arguments with each other over nothing and its just generally pretty annoying

I might leave the group tbh but I don't want to miss anything that might give me an insight into what it might be like next year

It's a shame because it's only about 20 individuals who seem to think the group is an appropriate place to post all their (very strong and potentially offensive) opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't use FB but what is on there?? If you don't mind telling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeah it's mostly that post like obviously it's one individual, but also the number of people picking arguments with each other over nothing and its just generally pretty annoying

I might leave the group tbh but I don't want to miss anything that might give me an insight into what it might be like next year

It's a shame because it's only about 20 individuals who seem to think the group is an appropriate place to post all their (very strong and potentially offensive) opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did I miss? :lol:

I just skip past the posts by certain people...
Original post by physicsmaths
I don't use FB but what is on there?? If you don't mind telling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by L'Evil Fish
What did I miss? :lol:

I just skip past the posts by certain people...

It was just a deeply misogynist post about "bagging women" before they put on weight, I'm not sure if it was meant to be a joke or what but obviously it's not funny, I just cannot understand why someone would think that's an appropriate thing to put on an offer holders group?? Hmm it's not like I'm massively offended, but I'd hoped I'd be mixing with a more civilised group of people

In general physicsmaths the whole group is clogged up with certain people who over post and seem to like stirring up arguments, I'm all for political debate but I'm not sure posting on a group with potential university friends is the place to be so aggressive

And fish I know exactly who you mean some people just need to chill, the occasional post would be fine but it's every day ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was just a deeply misogynist post about "bagging women" before they put on weight, I'm not sure if it was meant to be a joke or what but obviously it's not funny, I just cannot understand why someone would think that's an appropriate thing to put on an offer holders group?? Hmm it's not like I'm massively offended, but I'd hoped I'd be mixing with a more civilised group of people

In general physicsmaths the whole group is clogged up with certain people who over post and seem to like stirring up arguments, I'm all for political debate but I'm not sure posting on a group with potential university friends is the place to be so aggressive

And fish I know exactly who you mean some people just need to chill, the occasional post would be fine but it's every day ergh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably a troll

Tbh I think it's the ones who post less often who we will end up talking to, I don't know what to make of the group tbh haha

Like I guess it's better than no one speaking, but some are just like... Pointless and for attention

Lol. People know I'm fish on there now cos I've said it
(edited 8 years ago)
...... but I'd hoped I'd be mixing with a more civilised group of peopleIn general physicsmaths the whole group is clogged up with certain people who over post and seem to like stirring up arguments, I'm all for political debate but I'm not sure posting on a group with potential university friends is the place to be so aggressive And fish I know exactly who you mean some people just need to chill, the occasional post would be fine but it's every day erghPosted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what to make of the group tbh haha Like I guess it's better than no one speaking, but some are just like... Pointless and for attentionLol. People know I'm fish on there now cos I've said it

wait until A-level results come out and the offers confirmed. JCRs of your college will start its own college's freshers fb. That'll be really nice & friendly & useful and, more importantly, that's where you'll meet the people that'll be important part of your life in Cambridge. My daughter or any of her friends never got involved in the pan-cambridge offer holders fb. They told me there wasn't anything they could get out of it.
Probably a troll

Tbh I think it's the ones who post less often who we will end up talking to, I don't know what to make of the group tbh haha

Like I guess it's better than no one speaking, but some are just like... Pointless and for attention

Lol. People know I'm fish on there now cos I've said it

I think so too although I'm sure most of them are really nice people and just play up to Facebook for likes and confrontation

I did see who you were :wink: I've never posted so you won't be able to work out who I am hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else feel pretty disgusted by the offer holder fb page?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am... I feel sorry for the people who comment right at the top when the conversation's still normal and then have to sit there while their notifications blow up as everyone goes mental.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else feel pretty disgusted by the offer holder fb page?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that rugby guy was a complete tool. Also, literally any post will turn into random comments that are difficult to follow/understand or a political 'debate'.

I'm worried that I'm one of the ones that annoy you! I'm definitely one of the top 30 posters because it's a good source of procrastination. :wink:
Original post by Renascence
Hello all, I was hoping you guys could help me out with the situation I'm in right now.

So I've been offered a place at Cambridge to study Economics, but I'm now having doubts about what course I really want to do. To be honest, I only chose econ at the start of the year because I thought it would help my career options the most (and I do actually like it quite a lot), but I've realised the subject I'm most passionate about is Physics. I've looked up the Natsci course for Cambridge, and there are a lot of courses that really interest me throughout the 4 years. I know that this is quite a leap. I emailed Cambridge admissions a couple of weeks ago to see whether they could clarify my future options, but they just advised me to email my college now. What do guys think I should do? I fear my offer will be rescinded if I email my college (which I don't want to happen because I would still love to learn economics, I just prefer Physics), so I reckon it would be wiser to ask about a course change once (if) I'm there in October? I really have no idea what to do tbh.

Additional info: I'm predicted A* in maths, further maths and physics, but just an A in economics (offer is A* in FM and economics, A in maths/physics - I know I will need 4A* if I want to be admitted and switch to Physical Natsci).
I would think hard about emailing your college now, regardless of admission tutor advice. If your exams go well and you think you've made your grades you could ask then but if you slip a grade your place may go to someone more committed. Cambridge dont make many more offers than they have places (except in Maths) so they would be looking at whether they could offer you a place in preference to someone who has missed a grade but shown more commitment to the subject. They might suggest a gap year and reapply, possibly the best course of action if you are sure about your preference.

Once you are at Cambridge if you work hard and get decent results the college will try to help if you want to switch course. You are also able to attend any lectures you want. So you could try Physical NAtsci and see if you really prefer it. You might find you had to do an extra year, dont know enough about the courses to say,
Original post by parentlurker
I would think hard about emailing your college now, regardless of admission tutor advice. If your exams go well and you think you've made your grades you could ask then but if you slip a grade your place may go to someone more committed. Cambridge dont make many more offers than they have places (except in Maths) so they would be looking at whether they could offer you a place in preference to someone who has missed a grade but shown more commitment to the subject. They might suggest a gap year and reapply, possibly the best course of action if you are sure about your preference.

Once you are at Cambridge if you work hard and get decent results the college will try to help if you want to switch course. You are also able to attend any lectures you want. So you could try Physical NAtsci and see if you really prefer it. You might find you had to do an extra year, dont know enough about the courses to say,

why do you lurk, parent/.
Original post by Elcor
Yeah, that rugby guy was a complete tool. Also, literally any post will turn into random comments that are difficult to follow/understand or a political 'debate'.

I'm worried that I'm one of the ones that annoy you! I'm definitely one of the top 30 posters because it's a good source of procrastination. :wink:

are you tom? to be honest, the posts are just hilarious. its sad how some people care so much about arguing their point across, on random assed topics

and its always the same people...out of about 3000 coming up to Cambridge. going to be awkward for them when they start as everyones already sussed them out
I wouldn't join the Facebook group until after results day..... Would be proper awks having to leave :hide:. Tbh it doesn't sound like I'm missing much :tongue:. Maybe at this point people are trying to be intimidating?

Posted from TSR Mobile

while I get what you mean about the fb page, most of the comments are pretty pathetic and make me question how sad some peoples lives are, you don't want to be at the other end of the self-righteous spectrum with remarks like that
no ones trying to be intimidating. why would they...what is there to be intimidating about...its an offerholders group, everyone has offers. Likelihood of people leaving (other than half the mathmos) is minimal, so it makes sense to sign up if youre non-mathmo.

But its just basically same bunch of people who spend waaaay too much time posting and commenting about everything on thr group. Andd debate lads about crap no one cares about. Its pretty funny to watch how boring some of these people are...but eventually you get bored yourself trawling through all the comments.

to be fair, its a Cambridge offer holder group, what did you expect...some of the people are going to fit the loser Oxbridge stereotype
Original post by frigg113
no ones trying to be intimidating. why would they...what is there to be intimidating about...its an offerholders group, everyone has offers. Likelihood of people leaving (other than half the mathmos) is minimal, so it makes sense to sign up if youre non-mathmo.

But its just basically same bunch of people who spend waaaay too much time posting and commenting about everything on thr group. Andd debate lads about crap no one cares about. Its pretty funny to watch how boring some of these people are...but eventually you get bored yourself trawling through all the comments.

to be fair, its a Cambridge offer holder group, what did you expect...some of the people are going to fit the loser Oxbridge stereotype

I kind of got the impression that there were a lot of self-righteous, bolshy people putting forward strong views, which imo comes across as a bit intimidating?

Sorry if I was wrong :smile:.
Original post by ILovePancakes
I kind of got the impression that there were a lot of self-righteous, bolshy people putting forward strong views, which imo comes across as a bit intimidating?

Sorry if I was wrong :smile:.
p
i agree with that. But i dont see how its intimidating. If you dony agree with them, what does it matter. You dont have to follow their views...and theyre not pretty convinving either way lol.

Like frigg said, its just a bit boring how much some people post. If they were revising instead they might get some stellar grades
And now they're making fun of transgender people. I'm getting really tempted to leave this group

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mini-Me
And now they're making fun of transgender people. I'm getting really tempted to leave this group

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then leave. If youre going to get affected by what a bunch of randoms say then its best if you do. Cant you just ignore it...the majority of the group are because most of these people convos on there are just pathetic.

If you feel that strongly, speak up about it on the group..
Lol fb group actually just got funny for once
Original post by frigg113
Lol fb group actually just got funny for once

Has it? :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending