The Student Room Group

I've got 0 GCSEs almost 19 should I try go uni or try another year at my sixth form

Next September I'll be doing my 4 th year at my sixth form will I'll be too old

Scroll to see replies

How did you get into 6th form without GCSEs?
My sixth form ain't really that good
Original post by LD1000
My sixth form ain't really that good

Well maybe that's part of the problem. Personally, if I was in your situation I'd enroll at a college and take 5 or so GCSEs including Maths and English, then if I did well in those I'd either take A-Levels/NVQs or do an apprenticeship depending on my ambitions and academic abilities. First decide what career you want, then find out how to get there. I don't see the point of you returning to 6th form -it's obviously not working for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LD1000

You can't go to uni without GCSEs.
Reply 5
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Well maybe that's part of the problem. Personally, if I was in your situation I'd enroll at a college and take 5 or so GCSEs including Maths and English, then if I did well in those I'd either take A-Levels/NVQs or do an apprenticeship depending on my ambitions and academic abilities. First decide what career you want, then find out how to get their. I don't see the point of you returning to 6th form -it's obviously not working for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^^what (s)he said

OP if you don't have a solid knowledge base from GCSEs your going to keep getting chewed out by A levels and waste a lot of time. Just try and go for whatever GCSEs you want (by that I mean at the very least maths, english and double science, and whatever else) and then push forward afterwards. One back 2 steps forward.
I ain't been entered for my maths exam this year must of missed it and I got entered for English man don't feel like going I might just bunk it man
Reply 7
Original post by LD1000
I ain't been entered for my maths exam this year must of missed it and I got entered for English man don't feel like going I might just bunk it man

If you're just going to bunk your GCSE exam then why have you come here asking for advice? Of course we are all going to tell you to do your GCSE's again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True but GCSEs are hard and long
I left school last year with little to no GCSE's and I'm sitting most of them again this year and just doing a pretty simple BTEC at college to keep myself occupied. I dont regret it at this point tbf, I'm glad im re sitting something slightly easier so hopefully when I return to ALEVS this september I will be fresh and ready to go. I would definitely look into maybe doing some of your GCSE's again, a lot of colleges offer at least English and Maths, at least you know you can get into uni then :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by LD1000
True but GCSEs are hard and long

And going to sixth form and doing A Levels isn't.. To be honest, if your not putting in the effort then your not going to get the result. You have to re-do all your GCSE's again at least 5 and then go into sixth form.
Original post by LD1000

When you say you got 0 GCSEs do you mean you don't have any A*-C grades? How many GCSEs did you do and what grades did you get in them?
Yh I don't have no a-c grades at all
Reply 13
Original post by LD1000
Yh I don't have no a-c grades at all

Well then I guess your screwed if you don't have any GCSE's and your not willing to try hard and do them again. Even to be a rubbish collecter you need GCSE's. The best advice we can give is to do your GCSE's again.

This may seem like a harsh advice but its worth it.
Reply 14
Original post by morgan8002
You can't go to uni without GCSEs.

This is very misleading. Yes you can, through access course and taking a foundation year before going into your desired degree.
Original post by kkboyk
This is very misleading. Yes you can, through access course and taking a foundation year before going into your desired degree.

The correct answer is somewhere between our two replies. You won't be able to get onto a foundation year without GCSEs or equivalents, even if you have passed an access course, so that's misleading.
A thing I should have mentioned in my previous post is that there are alternatives to GCSEs, for example IELTS. These can be used instead of GCSEs.
Reply 16
Slackinggggg
Original post by LD1000
Yh mans slacking badly u know I've been through 2 much that's y I couldn't concentrate on ma education n ting is education really that important

My sister's in a similar situation. She's also 19 with no gcses so she's taking this course at a college which offers a substitute path to go to university through access for people who don't have 5 a* to c grades.

The courses are over three years.
Level 1 - equivalent to e-d grade at gcse
Level 2 - equivalent to c-a grade at gcse
Level 3 - equivalent to a pass at a level

Im not sure about the grade specifically but they're about right.

This route is a longer path to university but you can still go. I think you should take it
Original post by undine_monty
My sister's in a similar situation. She's also 19 with no gcses so she's taking this course at a college which offers a substitute path to go to university through access for people who don't have 5 a* to c grades.

The courses are over three years.
Level 1 - equivalent to e-d grade at gcse
Level 2 - equivalent to c-a grade at gcse

Level 3 - equivalent to a pass at a level

Im not sure about the grade specifically but they're about right.

This route is a longer path to university but you can still go. I think you should take it

Isn't Level 1 G-D at GCSE and Level 2 C-A* at GCSE?
Yeah I should take that route I don't wanna go uni I just want a summer part time job and try go back 2 my sixth form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending