The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Friday 5th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by Tiwa
The integration by substitution question I found the most difficult as the substitution was x=cosecθ x = cosec\theta . You had limits of 2 2 and 2 \sqrt 2 and you had to put your answer to 3 sf.

Ah I remember that. Horrid. Hope this year's is easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking about it why does x^2-6x+5 have an inverse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 502
Original post by Jimmy20002012

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would think it has an inverse when the domain is restricted to make it one to one?
Reply 503
Original post by Lau14
I would think it has an inverse when the domain is restricted to make it one to one?

If you complete the square:

[br]x26x+5[br][br]x^{2} - 6 x + 5[br]

[br](x3)29+5[br][br]\therefore \left(x - 3\right)^{2} - 9 + 5[br]

[br](x3)24[br][br]\therefore \left(x - 3\right)^{2} - 4[br]

So for a function f(x)=x26x+5f(x) = x^{2} - 6x + 5, then the inverse equals f1(x)=±x+4+3f^{-1}(x) = \pm \sqrt{x + 4} + 3

So the domain of f(x)f(x) would have to be restricted so that one of the possibilities for the inverse function f1(x)f^{-1}(x) can be dismissed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How else can aqa confuse us in terms of inverse questions, like last years quadratic inverse question. Is there anything else they could throw in there that could confuse us at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 505
How else can aqa confuse us in terms of inverse questions, like last years quadratic inverse question. Is there anything else they could throw in there that could confuse us at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they can do anything beyond what they did last year as it would be off the specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 506
Any tips for an A* in maths? How useful are the soloman papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 507
Original post by Kriterz
Any tips for an A* in maths? How useful are the soloman papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Solomon papers are good. Try them if you run out of other papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I don't think they can do anything beyond what they did last year as it would be off the specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I thought so, guessing the hardest they can throw at you is like a tough identity or a 9 mark Integration question. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 509
Yeah I thought so, guessing the hardest they can throw at you is like a tough identity or a 9 mark Integration question. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be incredibly harsh :wink:

Hope it's a fairly alright C3 paper. C4 I don't mind if it's too hard as boundaries will be low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That would be incredibly harsh :wink:

Hope it's a fairly alright C3 paper. C4 I don't mind if it's too hard as boundaries will be low.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By the way do you know if we need to know these standard integrals as it is my textbook but never seen it come up before. Thanks :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432381688.350691.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 511
By the way do you know if we need to know these standard integrals as it is my textbook but never seen it come up before. Thanks :smile:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432381688.350691.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

No we don't. That was the old spec :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 512
Original post by CD223
Solomon papers are good. Try them if you run out of other papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thanks I've run out of papers so I will definitely try them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by CD223

Could they test us on self-inverse functions? Do we need to know those for the exam?
Original post by Pumuki63
Could they test us on self-inverse functions? Do we need to know those for the exam?

What is a self inverse fucntion? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is a self inverse fucntion? :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Say f(x) is (3x-5)/(x-3). If you do ff(x) you get the answer as x.
The input equals the output so the function is self-inverse.
It's in my textbook but I don't know if we have to know it?
Did you guys find core 3 2014 quite difficult or easy? I am wondering if this year they would give us a paper with a similar difficulty level.
If anyone is looking for a challenge I recommend OCR June 2011 C3 paper. Think some OCR c3 is AQA C4 but nonetheless all good practice. That paper is a bitch 😋
Reply 518
Original post by Kriterz
Cool thanks I've run out of papers so I will definitely try them!

No worries. Let us know how you get on.

Original post by Pumuki63
Say f(x) is (3x-5)/(x-3). If you do ff(x) you get the answer as x.
The input equals the output so the function is self-inverse.
It's in my textbook but I don't know if we have to know it?

Sorry, I don't follow, are you saying that if you reflect that function in y=x it gives the exact same graph?

What are the features of this kind of function? How do you spot one?

Original post by geeky_penguin
Did you guys find core 3 2014 quite difficult or easy? I am wondering if this year they would give us a paper with a similar difficulty level.

Last year was the hardest C3 paper imo. I think they'll be of similar difficulty this year.

Original post by CAulet567
If anyone is looking for a challenge I recommend OCR June 2011 C3 paper. Think some OCR c3 is AQA C4 but nonetheless all good practice. That paper is a bitch 😋

Ah cheers - will look it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries. Let us know how you get on.

Sorry, I don't follow, are you saying that if you reflect that function in y=x it gives the exact same graph?

What are the features of this kind of function? How do you spot one?

Last year was the hardest C3 paper imo. I think they'll be of similar difficulty this year.

Ah cheers - will look it up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I think so, it will be the same graph reflected. I don't know what the features for spotting it other than simply doing ff(x) and seeing if you end up with x.

It's a short section in the pure Core Maths 3&4 book by Heinemann.
It says "Suppose you take the reciprocal of 5. You get 1/5 = o.2. Taking the reciprocal of 0.2 gives 1/0.2 = 5. Doing the operation twice brings you back to the number you started with. This is an example of a self-inverse function operation"

I don't know whether we need to know this but no one seems to have done it so I think I'm just going to leave it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending