The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Studying Optometry at the University of Bradford: Ask your questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi
Would you be able to tell me what grades you accepted through clearing last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by ray96
Hi
Would you be able to tell me what grades you accepted through clearing last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the query ray96.

Last year our Optometry BSc (Hons) course was made available through UCAS Clearing and as a result we were more flexible with our entry requirements. The applications we received through Clearing were assessed and dealt with on a case by case basis.

Please note there is no guarantee the Optometry course will be made available this year through Clearing and if it is, there’s no guarantee the entry requirements will change.

I do hope you find this response useful and if you require any further information or advice please do get in touch again.
Reply 22
hi, I've put bradford as my insaurance choice, but if I did get into my firm choice, and wanted to come to bradford, is that possible?
Reply 23
Original post by ray96
Is anyone applying here? Worried I won't get an offer as I'm a resit applicant with CCD, anyone with similar grades got an offer from here and are bradford lenient?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive appiled here! It's my insaurance choice, but I'm thinking i actually want to go to bradford now rather than my firm choice, Im a resit applicant aswell, I got ACD, so resitting.
Original post by jeslene
hi, I've put bradford as my insaurance choice, but if I did get into my firm choice, and wanted to come to bradford, is that possible?

Hi Jeslene, it's great to see you've selected our Optometry BSc (Hons) course as your Insurance choice.

If you wanted to go with your Insurance choice whilst holding an Unconditional offer with your Firm choice, you’d need to contact your Firm choice Institution and ask to be released. Once released your Insurance choice with automatically change to your Firm choice and if you meet the conditions of your offer this will automatically change to Unconditional.

If you would like any more in-depth information about this process please feel free to email our admissions Team at [email protected]

I do hope this makes sense and if you require any further information or assistance with anything at all do get in touch.
Reply 25
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi Jeslene, it's great to see you've selected our Optometry BSc (Hons) course as your Insurance choice.

If you wanted to go with your Insurance choice whilst holding an Unconditional offer with your Firm choice, you’d need to contact your Firm choice Institution and ask to be released. Once released your Insurance choice with automatically change to your Firm choice and if you meet the conditions of your offer this will automatically change to Unconditional.

If you would like any more in-depth information about this process please feel free to email our admissions Team at [email protected]

I do hope this makes sense and if you require any further information or assistance with anything at all do get in touch.

Hi! It's a conditional offer at my firm choice aswell. so If i do meet the reqirements for my firm choice, and do meet the reqirements for bradford, is there any chance i would be able to change to coming to bradford rather than my firm?
Original post by jeslene
Hi! It's a conditional offer at my firm choice aswell. so If i do meet the reqirements for my firm choice, and do meet the reqirements for bradford, is there any chance i would be able to change to coming to bradford rather than my firm?

Hi Jeslene, sorry for not making this clearer in my earlier response I was assuming you’d be waiting until August.

Pre-Clearing you’d need to contact your Firm choice University and ask for your offer to be declined or changed to have them as your Insurance choice. You’d also need to email our Admissions Team making us aware of what you wanting to do ([email protected]). Finally you’d need to contact UCAS and inform them. Once you’ve done this both our Admissions Team and your other University Choice will contact UCAS and have the changes made accordingly.

I hope you find this information helpful and let me know if you require any further assistance.
Reply 27
Hi Jeslene, sorry for not making this clearer in my earlier response I was assuming you’d be waiting until August.

Pre-Clearing you’d need to contact your Firm choice University and ask for your offer to be declined or changed to have them as your Insurance choice. You’d also need to email our Admissions Team making us aware of what you wanting to do ([email protected]). Finally you’d need to contact UCAS and inform them. Once you’ve done this both our Admissions Team and your other University Choice will contact UCAS and have the changes made accordingly.

I hope you find this information helpful and let me know if you require any further assistance.

ok, thankyou soo much for all the help!
Original post by jeslene
ok, thankyou soo much for all the help!

You're very welcome Jeslene. If you need any further advice or info let me know :smile:
Reply 29
Hi, I was wondering if through clearing the non-resit applicants at Bradford are given priority over the resit applicants if you dont meet the entry requirements
Original post by lewy456
Hi, I was wondering if through clearing the non-resit applicants at Bradford are given priority over the resit applicants if you dont meet the entry requirements

Thanks for getting in touch lewy456.

When applicants don’t meet our offer, then, provided that there are still places available, our Admissions Team will look at every application individually and make a decision about whether they're still able to accept them. Our Admissions Team and Academic staff will look at all aspects of an application before making this decision.

I hope you find this information helpful and if you require any further assistance or advice do let me know.
Reply 31
Hi but what I mean is if two students went through clearing exactly the same grades only difference is one is a resit/gap year student will the non-resit student be given priority
Original post by lewy456
Hi but what I mean is if two students went through clearing exactly the same grades only difference is one is a resit/gap year student will the non-resit student be given priority

In such a situation, we would still look at all aspects of the application, such as the personal statement and work experience when making our decision. Whether an applicant has resit may be a factor in this but we would take a holistic view of the application.

I hope you find this information more useful and let me know if you'd like any further assistance.
In such a situation, we would still look at all aspects of the application, such as the personal statement and work experience when making our decision. Whether an applicant has resit may be a factor in this but we would take a holistic view of the application.

I hope you find this information more useful and let me know if you'd like any further assistance.

Do we need to give references for oure work expreince ? I didn't but is there a time where we may have to??
Original post by Student23478
Do we need to give references for oure work expreince ? I didn't but is there a time where we may have to??

Hi Student23478, thanks for getting in touch!

We prefer our Optometry BSc (Hons) applicants who have undertaken some relevant work experience to provide a reference if possible after submitting their application.

The reference or the referee contact details can be sent via email alongside your UCAS Personal ID number to [email protected].

If you have any further queries or concerns relating to this or the course/university in general do get back in touch. I hope you find this information useful.
Hi Student23478, thanks for getting in touch!

We prefer our Optometry BSc (Hons) applicants who have undertaken some relevant work experience to provide a reference if possible after submitting their application.

The reference or the referee contact details can be sent via email alongside your UCAS Personal ID number to [email protected].

If you have any further queries or concerns relating to this or the course/university in general do get back in touch. I hope you find this information useful.

I didn't send me reference because they didn't ask? Is it ok if I leave it as that then as I got an offer as well?
Original post by Student23478
I didn't send me reference because they didn't ask? Is it ok if I leave it as that then as I got an offer as well?

If you've received an Unconditional offer I wouldn't worry about supplying a reference. If you've received and Conditional offer just double check to see what the conditions are. If there is no mention of supplying a reference in your offer don't worry about.

In fact if you PM me with your full name and UCAS Personal ID number I can give you a more accurate answer about what is needed from you after assessing your offer. I can also contact the Admissions Team on your behalf and double check with them to see whether a reference is required.

Hopefully this helps and I'll keep an eye out for your PM.
According to Unistats website Bradford course structure is more theroy based and less practical/placement based like cardif and Cali. Wonder it will affect job prosp after graduation.

Also 4% of graduate are umemplyed. Where as 100% emplayment for cardif and cali and manu.

Not sure how correct these stats are but any thoughts on it please.

Thanks

UOTE=University of Bradford;52893159]We at the University of Bradford usually require A Level applicants to achieve a total of 340 UCAS tariff points (A,A,B) from 3 full A Levels. We require the A,A grades to come from 2 pure science subjects (this includes Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Mathematics). The third A Level can be any subject excluding general studies. One re-sit per subject may be acceptable.
In addition to this we expect all applicants to have a minimum of 5 GCSE's to include English Language, Mathematics and Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Combined Science.
Further information relating to our Optometry BSc (Hons) course can be found on our website at http://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/view/?c=optometry-bsc-3-years
I can see from your post that you're already an applicant with us. If you email our Course Enquiries Department at [email protected] with your UCAS reference number we can speak with our Admissions Department and give you more specific advice and assistance.
Reply 38
If i get into a university which does 3 years eg Bradford, is it possible to do the fourth masters year at a different uni or anyway?
Original post by athar2015
According to Unistats website Bradford course structure is more theroy based and less practical/placement based like cardif and Cali. Wonder it will affect job prosp after graduation.

Also 4% of graduate are umemplyed. Where as 100% emplayment for cardif and cali and manu.

Not sure how correct these stats are but any thoughts on it please.

Thanks

All of our Optometry students get hands-on, practical experience right from the beginning of the course in the first year, through to the final year where students will work with real patients in the university’s eye clinic. From 2017 onwards, Optometry will move to brand new facilities as part of the university’s new Integrated Health and Well-being Centre, which will include brand new equipment.

We help our final year students find placements but ultimately it is up to individual students to apply for the pre-registration placements themselves. We typically have over 100 final year students and almost all of them are successful at getting a good pre-registration placement. You can read about one of our Optometry graduands who is about to start his placement in the latest issue of Optometry Today: http://www.optometry.co.uk/news-and-features/features/?article=7458

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending