The Student Room Group

How to achieve Distinctions on Access Course

I'm struggling to achieve the two units at distinction i need for my place at Queen Mary University. Can someone explain to me what is meant by analysis and evaluation to achieve distinctions. #thisstruggleisreal :confused:
The way I've always seen the two is that an analysis is breaking down something to look at it in more depth with it's pros and cons, whereas an evaluation you offer your own opinion to give value to something after looking at it's strengths and weaknesses.

Hope that helps :smile:
I've had distinctions in all my assignments so far. Id say have a good look at the assignment brief first, the make sure you have met the criteria on the brief as well as to make sure you have met the demands of the grade descriptors.
Break it all down, and make sure you tick all the boxes.
Back up any facts used with a reference of where you got it from.
The money shot is usually in the evaluation and conclusion (so long as you have demonstrated a good understanding of the topic in the body of the assignment and have referenced it well).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Nininho20
I'm struggling to achieve the two units at distinction i need for my place at Queen Mary University. Can someone explain to me what is meant by analysis and evaluation to achieve distinctions. #thisstruggleisreal :confused:

Just a little side thought for you. Mention to your teacher the grades you require. Really make sure they understand that you need certain units at distinction and that it is vital that you get them. Show them how much effort you are willing to put in to get those grades.

I nearly missed out on my first choice uni by getting a merit when I needed a distinction. I spoke to the teacher, and made sure all my work after that was of the highest standard (I did practice maths questions 5 hours a day, 7 days a week for quite some time). She recognised this and let me resit the test where I got a merit. Colleges want their students to go to the best unis they can, and are often willing to help out.
Analysis:

The best advice I can offer here is to say that there are two elements you need to look at - comprehensiveness and coherence/cohesion.

How comprehensive is the idea/book/data/whatever you're analysing? Is it uniformly applicable? Right now I'm reading a report that argues that a 100% tax/publicly funded healthcare system would deliver better patient outcomes. Crucially, the report doesn't take (for instance) mismanagement or fluctuating tax revenues into account so in an assessment I could argue it isn't a comprehensive argument.

How coherent/cohesive is the 'thing' you're analysing? Does that argument it makes seem logical and consistent? How about when it's challenged by competing ideas?

Evaluation:

Use the above to form some kind of idea about whether you agree with 'it' (whatever 'it' is - a person, a book, an academic theory - whatever) and accept it as credible. If you don't, it's not enough to say you don't- for a distinction you're going to need to do independent research to find something to rebuff an original claim and back up your opinion with something that has more academic merit than an access to HE essay.

When analysing or evaluating, don't let yourself get put into a box. Not every source you will encounter will be something you agree with or even see as credible - that's fine.

Source: I did an access course last year and finished with 54 distinction 6 merit.
Reply 6
Original post by Nininho20

Good evening

One further comment I would like to make is don't forget to try and make the content your own with an interesting interpretation of the assignment. This could come in the form of very current up to date research or just a unique view. For instance in arguments regarding the ethical issues in the use of animals in psychological experiments for one assignment I offered the option of the current research into the development of computer neural networks simulating the animal brain and the future potential of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending