The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megan__
Hello, im about to apply for accommodation at Edinburgh university and I'm just wondering can your only apply for either 3 catered or 3 self catered? Is it not possible to apply for say two self catered options and one catered? :-)

it's either, or I'm afraid. So 3 catered or 3 self catered
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 401
Original post by UPSDGoat
it's either, or I'm afraid. So 3 catered or 3 self catered

Ah right ok, thank you for replying!:smile:
When will I get my accommodation offer! First choice is Sciennes and I'm so excited wish it would hurry up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
Yeah, i'm first choice Abbeyhill, but I think i'll probably end up in Murano Place as it doesn't seem quite as popular, and i'm so anxious to hear back! So many people have already and I'm getting worried :3
Quietist halls????
Original post by Underc0verEmily
Quietist halls????

Can you be a little more specific?
Overall it's hard to give a quietest halls, as quietness could be ruined by a bad flat mate or by having a party flat next door for example.
I stayed at Beaverbank in 1st year, I hated it because it was AGES away from everything else. Overall it was pretty quiet but I had one party animal flatmate and one other noisy one. So it's hard to give you a quiet halls as you'll have to be lucky to find a completely quiet one.
Reply 406
Hi, when applying for catered halls, what does it mean by "Traditional block A" etc.. I cant find info on these halls anywhere
Original post by paj7797
Hi, when applying for catered halls, what does it mean by "Traditional block A" etc.. I cant find info on these halls anywhere

all of the traditional blocks are Baird/Ewing/Turner/Lee/Grant - theyre all so similar and the same price so within those ones they assign people randomly, the letters don't necessarily correspond with specific houses. It's just so that you can put those 3 as your 3 choices if you wish :smile:
Applied for Abbeyhill, Blackfriars Street and Deaconess. Happy with anything, really, though. Exchange student, so I don't know anything about the flats, but they all seem decent.
Original post by senorchang
Screw it. I'm just going to rent a flat. Means I've got somewhere to park the car. And I can eat breakfast nude if I want.

Hey can I share your flat, we can eat breakfast naked together!
Reply 410
Original post by amouat
Yeah, i'm first choice Abbeyhill, but I think i'll probably end up in Murano Place as it doesn't seem quite as popular, and i'm so anxious to hear back! So many people have already and I'm getting worried :3

Who has heard back already?? :/ My first choice is Abbeyhill too btw :smile:
Hello!

I am a visiting PhD student from Brazil and already have an unconditional offer. I am planning to submit my application in the next days but have some questions and hope you could help me. I will study at the Little France campus, and I am thinking about living near the city centes. My options are 1. Morgan Court 2. Blackwood 3. Holland Anexe. What do you think?

After receive my accommodation offer, how long can I wait to accep/reject the offer? Is there a deadline? Because I am going to arrive in Edinburgh in the first week of July, so I am thinking if it is better to apply now or wait until I get there and can look for a private accommodation.

Other question: is that possible to receive guests in my room? Is there an maximum time they can stay? If my boyfriend manage to go visit me in Edinburgh, can he stay in my room with me?

Hope to get an answer from you! Regards
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Filippo T
Hello guys :smile: I can't decide between catered and self-catered accomodations. As far as the prices are concerned I would surely choose the self-catered option (maybe with a shared bathroom, like Warrender Park Road, Robertsons Close or Sciennes). Cooking wouldn't be a big issue: with all the money I'd save by not going to Pollock, I could easily buy already-made meals from time to time, and having fixed meal times could be either good or bad. But I do have doubts about the different kind of social life these two options offer you: I don't really love the idea of being in a flat with just guys and no girls, and if you do not get on well with them, well, you'll have to bear with them for the rest of the academic year. Being in halls kind of makes me feel more independent, meaning that I'd have a wider pool of friends to choose from, even though I'd be less "free" in terms of meal times (again, this could even be helpful in terms of life rythm).

I was giving some thought to what will happen during Freshers Week. I'm not very fond of dance clubs and very seldom drink alcohol (hardly ever) and I'm kind of shy, at least before I get to know someone, so I really wouldn't go around knocking on others' doors, nor would I hang out every night until 5 a.m. I'm just worried that being in a flat with maybe 5 other people who do go out would make me feel/be left out, whereas perhaps, in a more independent atmosphere where there's no such thing as flats, I would just be me and could find people who like something different, and perhaps join an event organized by some interesting society. Moreover, basically all my friends are girls and I rarely get on well with guys.
Any advice? :smile:
Do you know anything about the Traditional Blocks (catered accomodations)?

I've just finished first year being in catered halls (I was in one of the traditional houses) and I would definitely recommend Pollock. I can't really speak for self-catered, but the general impression I get is that you meet more people in Pollock. There is literally always something going on, the social life is top. As for meal times, they really aren't that constricting - dinner is served from 5-7:30 every night and then breakfast from 7:15-10:30. Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a big deal. I was in one of the older houses (traditional blocks) - don't bother applying for Chancellor's/John Burnett unless you desperately care about having an ensuite. The smaller houses are generally more social. I appreciate that the extra cost of catered accommodation makes some prospective students hesitant but I would advise you to pick Pollock in a heartbeat. You'll end up meeting so many people and just generally having a great time. I miss it so much already, make the most of it! Wish I could go back and do it all again!
I was really excited to accept my place in College Wynd, Cowgate although I've seen a few people talking about noise which doesn't really bother me. No one seems to have posted anything that has actually stayed in the flats. Does anyone have any personal experiences?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by beth97_p
I was really excited to accept my place in College Wynd, Cowgate although I've seen a few people talking about noise which doesn't really bother me. No one seems to have posted anything that has actually stayed in the flats. Does anyone have any personal experiences?

I know people who have stayed there and really enjoyed it, I don't know much more than that though
Hello everyone!

I have an offer for Classics (at Edinburgh, obviously), and am about to do my accommodation! I need to have self-catered accommodation so I hope that maybe someone at Edinburgh could possibly help me with a quandary;

Do you think that If I put

1. Deaconess
2. Darroch Court

I would be likely to get either? I have heard good things about both.

Secondly, I really would prefer a quieter location, so anything on Cowgate seems to be off limits! Can anyone recommend me a good third option? New Arthur place seems quite small from the photos, but that can be a poor judge of size.

I will be based at Teviot place, off Bristo square so don't really want to be more than 15 minutes away from it in case of unexpected lie ins!

Many Thanks.
Got my offer for Abbeyhill! So excited, and quite nervous, as this is getting serious now. I am moving to Edinburgh!
Original post by Linaria
Got my offer for Abbeyhill! So excited, and quite nervous, as this is getting serious now. I am moving to Edinburgh!

When you went into the online service did you click the "Accept Contract" to view your offer? It's the only thing I can see but I don't want to click it incase it accepted the offer without me even seeing it haha
Original post by Scottish17
When you went into the online service did you click the "Accept Contract" to view your offer? It's the only thing I can see but I don't want to click it incase it accepted the offer without me even seeing it haha

Never mind. I clicked it and it brought it up! Abbeyhill too! :biggrin:
Original post by Scottish17
Never mind. I clicked it and it brought it up! Abbeyhill too! :biggrin:

Congrats! :biggrin:

Maybe we'll be neighbours :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending