The Student Room Group

Article: Parental advice that makes students mad

Scroll to see replies

Advice before the exam:

"Don't make silly mistakes and don't run out of time" - So very helpful.
"Whatever you get, I'm going to be proud of you.... But get a B or below, and I'm going to take away your phone and etc.".... Thanks for the vote of confidence, mom :smile:

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Reply 22
You live in a house with 4 other people, you can't expect quiet when you revise.
Just use your headphones, and add even more noise to an unbearably loud environment.
Reply 23
When do you find a job? :rant:
"Cheer up"
"Focus"
"Take breaks"
"Study harder"
"Don't panic"
"Do the best you can, we won't be disappointed"

Annoying because they're clichés and I've heard them so many times in my life.
'Have you done past papers?' 'What's your average score on the past papers?' 'I can help you revise' HOW ARE YOU GOING TO BE OF ANY USE TOWARDS MY REVISION IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT FREE RADICAL SUBSTITUTION IS??!!!😡😡😡
Reply 26
'You should get out more.' He says when I have 2 weeks left until exams start.
When I say that I've done 5 hours of revision AND a past paper, they both look at me and go:

"well why didn't you do 6 hours?" Exams are getting closer you know."

I know they mean well but it makes me feel like I'm not trying hard enough when in reality I'm working my tits off.
For years my mum has said get a job. I stay unemployed just to thwart her lol
When I'm cooped up inside for the whole day revising, and don't pay any attention at all to my physical appearance, Mum's like- BRUSH YOUR HAIR- every single minute of the day:angry:
"back when I was a wittle girl, we did 12 A Level equivalents!"

"we had 5 years of uni. 3 years is a joke!"

Yep, from my Russian parents.
Reply 31
Me: "These exams I'm taking are hard."
Parents: "Well maybe you should have taken easier subjects that you can actually do."

Amazing :smile:))
Original post by Katty3
You live in a house with 4 other people, you can't expect quiet when you revise.
Just use your headphones, and add even more noise to an unbearably loud environment.

I disagree, it's not much to expect your family to show a bit of restraint and keep the noise down when you're revising.
Original post by roo98
I don't care for none of that. What infuriates me is when my mom questions why I feel the need to work hard at school or aspire for a career as a girl when I should aspire to marry into a good family, well off husband and suggest that I shouldn't work to be independent but for the sake of a degree to present to suitors!
I'd be glad if my mom ever encouraged me to aspire to work, to study and work hard for myself and not for a man, to have a good future built on my own achievements and to be defined by my own character.
Sure, your parents may be judgemental and harsh but at least they mean well.

Same. I asked genuinely about a career path I was interested in and instead of advice I got told I must marry a guy with that job. Just a reminder, this is the 21st century and I got told that instead of being ambitious and independent I should rely on a man.
You don't have to be old to be wise, it seems. I wish you luck in whatever you want to do, though. It's your life. I'm glad you think differently to your mother!
Being compared to my dropout of a brother and being pressurised to do the same.
Telling my mum to stop going on about an exam I pretty much failed as I can't change anything and she still goes on.
Not having any encouragement at all; having a father who doesn't know what an A level is.
Being told a B grade isn't good enough when it's the highest I'll get.

They might as well tell me to cross my fingers and wish upon a star. That might even be more helpful.
Typical Asian parents stuff...
So the other day my dad turns round to me and says "I want 13 A*s"
I already know that's impossible because I only do 11 subjects :facepalm:
Reply 37
Original post by daydreamer394
Same. I asked genuinely about a career path I was interested in and instead of advice I got told I must marry a guy with that job. Just a reminder, this is the 21st century and I got told that instead of being ambitious and independent I should rely on a man.
You don't have to be old to be wise, it seems. I wish you luck in whatever you want to do, though. It's your life. I'm glad you think differently to your mother!

its so sad because there are so many other girls in the 21st century developed world that struggle with this and its such a neglected issue.
i wish you lots of luck and hope that yu will akways stand up for your right to an education abd independance :smile:
The only thing I get from them, and very deservingly so is:

-Don't leave everything for the last second!! Why you ALWAYS leave everything until the last second! ARGHHHHH *argument ensues*
*I go to a really good school for context*

"Well, you might have done badly compared to the school, but you've probably done really well in the whole country!"

Not when the tests are STANDARDISED, mother !!

Quick Reply

Latest