The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benrichards1996
What are people's opinions on Nelson House, Unite House then Culver House? Would have recently have had hip surgery, so I want to stay close to the city centre.

Well all three of those residences are in great locations - Culver and Unite are both on Park Street and are extremely close to the university (probably only the Hawthorns is closer!). Nelson is further from Uni but right near the centre of town - however the area isn't great, and there are building works going on next door which are pretty loud.

They all have fairly similar facilities since they're all owned by Unite (with maybe Unite edging it since it has a common room with table football and pool table etc.).

It just depends whether you want to face the entire hill and lots of stairs to the Uni (Nelson) to be closer to the centre, or start off closer to Uni. However, if you're a first year then you do get a free bus pass which goes up the hill anyway so that might sway it for you.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Opinions on self catered and catered accommodation when doing courses like veterinary science with lots of contact hours..?
Also, which is the best accommodation for veterinary science, like where is closest to the building we're taught in?
The accommodations run by Unite seem to be less popular...Why is that?
Original post by Para42
The accommodations run by Unite seem to be less popular...Why is that?

Less value for money - more expensive for less facilities on the whole. Also tend to be a little more mixed in terms of sociableness.
Also I don't think the city centre is a good location at all but lots of people on this thread this year disagree for some reason.

Original post by harrii_walker
Also, which is the best accommodation for veterinary science, like where is closest to the building we're taught in?

You guys are all around royal fort gardens with other sciences; so anywhere near st michaels hill - those smaller ones or the hawthorns for instance.

I suppose city centre counts as 'close' er than SB too.

Self/catered depends. I assume you guys are full days in which case you can easily go to the catered breakfast and be back in time for dinner.
Really depends what you want, unless you plan to skip breakfast and dinner time constantly and not get meal replacements.
I think catered is superior anyway :smile:
2 things, is the social side of the city halls really that bad, like does everyone does stay in there room?! can't be dealing with that if so

and, what this personal statement type thing you have to write when you apply to accommodation, I've heard about it but what are you supposed to write
Original post by dfghjk
2 things, is the social side of the city halls really that bad, like does everyone does stay in there room?! can't be dealing with that if so

and, what this personal statement type thing you have to write when you apply to accommodation, I've heard about it but what are you supposed to write

1) really depends on the intake, it's more likely to be risky and mixed in terms of sociability compared too the v popular halls I'd say. Larger halls would be better there.
If the opinion of commenters on this thread is anything to guess by, I'd say it will be a little more popular this year.

2) Just about what kinda people you might wanna live with - so if you want to be social, put that and stress you'd like to be with more outgoing/sociable people and hopefully that'll help. I put I like tea :smile:
I think the first person to reply to you is actually a bit unsure of where the centre is, well, I live here, in Favell, so I can review it.

It was not one of my choices, the prices were fair, but the contract was about 5 weeks longer than UoB. So an extra £500 or so, which is probably why it is less popular. That might be where the value for money comment comes from, but the facilities are the same, since you can make use of anything at SB.

Reasons to choose:

- Location won't be beaten: Best for food Shopping, Best for general Shopping, Best for getting to uni (excluding Hawthorns), best for going out. You won't need a taxi anywhere, and you won't have to wait for the ****ty bus (you still get a pass if you wanna go to SB).
Also on this topic, I nearly always walked back to mine for lunch, so I could cook some soup or something. Which you can't do at SB.

- 4 foot beds.

My experience here, and probably reasons not to choose:

- The walls are made of the same material as the curtains, I can hear my neighbour breathing.
- There is an obnoxious prick you rides to work at ungodly hours to the building opposite, and it is super loud, it often doesn't start too making you want to punch him more.
- Every door must be blast proof, they each weigh 5000kgs and are difficult to open.
- Sound seems to reverberate around the room too, hard to explain but its ****ed up.
- It is extremely close to some pubs and clubs, so it can be very noisy at night.
- There are often beggars by the shop, which is awkward.
- The maintenance team is distinctly average, and 'repairs' show that.
- The dust that collects is kinda weird too..
- They don't use a deposit scheme so can charge you whatever the **** when you leave.
- To wash and Dry your clothes will cost you £4 a go, plus your detergent or whatever.
- In Favell, the fire alarm DOES NOT ****ING STOP.

Social life: Exactly the same as any other hall really.

To add, being catered is MUCH better value than catered, I would go catered if I didn't have a clue in the kitchen, but otherwise you can spend 10-20 per week and live easily. To add, if you were to be catered, you still have to buy lunch - you sort of have the facilities to make it, but **** me, do people just steal **** like there is no tomorrow from catered (communal) fridges.

Would not recommend Unite, would choose Goldney if I could choose again.
Original post by beaverdestroyer
I think the first person to reply to you is actually a bit unsure of where the centre is, well, I live here, in Favell, so I can review it.

If that was aimed at me, I am well aware of where the centre is since I go through there about 3+ times a week let alone when I go there for other things.
I just think the location is poor.
What halls normally have rooms left for people with insurance offers?
Questions qwq
1 As far as security is concered, how is the SB area compared to the CC?
2 What is the average timetable like for engineering students? 30hrs per week?
3 Is Courtrooms-Durdham-Northwell a reasonable combination for someone who isnt that into social activities?
Thx in advance
Reply 11011
Hi, I'm applying for accommodation at Bristol and was wondering what Will's Hall is like? And if it's not great, what would be recommended?
Original post by PC96
Hi, I'm applying for accommodation at Bristol and was wondering what Will's Hall is like? And if it's not great, what would be recommended?

Depends what you're looking for in accomodation... I'm guessing you've been on the website? What is remaining after you've applied your filters (i.e whether you want catered, en suite, Stoke bishop etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Para42
Questions qwq
1 As far as security is concered, how is the SB area compared to the CC?
2 What is the average timetable like for engineering students? 30hrs per week?
3 Is Courtrooms-Durdham-Northwell a reasonable combination for someone who isnt that into social activities?
Thx in advance

Can't comment much on security in comparison, largely depends on whether people are dumb enough to tell the code randomly, leave main doors propped open and let strangers in.
Again, unsure but generally full days in uni.
Probably; can't comment on first as not done yet but others should be fine. Durdham is nice.

Original post by PC96

Wills Hall is perfect and the best ever <3
How is hiatt baker (catered)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could anyone say what Manor Hall is like? Not talked about much on here
Could someone say what Manor Hall is like? Not talked about much on here
Original post by Gerrard123
Could anyone say what Manor Hall is like? Not talked about much on here

Sat in here now. So so much better than my last hall (UH). Much more of a community feeling. Also, the pictures on the site are really old, it has since been refurbished.
Any chance of you (or another current student) uploading some more recent photographs? For example Library, Kitchens, Toilets and Shower rooms, Bedroom if feeling generous. Would be a huuuuge help. Been searching for ages. Thank you!
Original post by grant-m-s
What halls normally have rooms left for people with insurance offers?

When I went through the process there was Hiatt Baker (catered), Unite and Culver. Maybe some other Unite properties as well. And I imagine this year will be a similar story with even more Unite properties on offer. They're generally unpopular.

Latest

Trending

Trending