The Student Room Group

The 'I Love my PGCE' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flamingoshoes
Just an extra point to make you feel even better - my undergrad degree isn't remotely related to my PGCE, I had about 3 days of school experience before I started and didn't know a thing about educational theory before I started. It took me about 3 weeks to work out what 'pedagogy' means. So it just goes to show, you can be so clueless before you start (not that I'm saying you are haha) and still be just as successful as people who have been TAs for the best part of 20 years. So don't worry about any of it :smile:

That's amazing, I'm really pleased to hear its gone really well for you!

This thread has been a blessing, another huge thanks for the support :biggrin:
Reply 41
I'm 25 and I feel a lot more confident in myself at this age, I have travelled a lot and lived abroad and have lots of ideas obtained from that experience that I can really inspire children with. I do feel more of an adult to teach at this age than at 21. In the interview I met so many undergrads who did seem so so young, but I met two that really had a together mature attitude, I think perhaps those are the ones who do get through I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by seafairy
I'm 25 and I feel a lot more confident in myself at this age, I have travelled a lot and lived abroad and have lots of ideas obtained from that experience that I can really inspire children with. I do feel more of an adult to teach at this age than at 21. In the interview I met so many undergrads who did seem so so young, but I met two that really had a together mature attitude, I think perhaps those are the ones who do get through I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too. I'm 28 and didn't feel old enough at 21. I felt mature but it's a confidence thing I suppose. Instead I've served in the military, done a postgrad, worked abroad etc. I wanted a larger gap between my oldest pupils and I feel my experiences will be useful as a teacher. I can't wait to get started!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start my primary PGCE at Durham Uni in September and it's nice to hear some positives in place of the criticism I usually read on these forums.
Reply 44
Original post by Hula129
Im sure ill end up with lots of neg rep for this...but i for one absolutely hate PGCE's!
Fair enough if someone goes to university to study teaching and completes the proper course..but these days it seems to be just people who have gone to uni, done a mickey mouse degree and then thought sh** what do I do with it now? Its no wonder the education system is spiraling out of control!

No it isn't, i have chosen to do a different degree then a PGCE even though i know that i want to teach and i did get onto the primary education degree but i decided that i don't want to do my degree in teaching and that i'd rather do a PGCE.
Original post by Hula129
Im sure ill end up with lots of neg rep for this...but i for one absolutely hate PGCE's!
Fair enough if someone goes to university to study teaching and completes the proper course..but these days it seems to be just people who have gone to uni, done a mickey mouse degree and then thought sh** what do I do with it now? Its no wonder the education system is spiraling out of control!

There's always one :rolleyes:. Were you rejected after a 'proper' degree or something? I did my MA at a very good university because I wanted to teach after graduation.

Also, posting to sub :smile: It's so nice to hear positive things before we embark on our courses!
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie
There's always one :rolleyes:. Were you rejected after a 'proper' degree or something? I did my MA at a very good university because I wanted to teach after graduation.

Also, posting to sub :smile: It's so nice to hear positive things before we embark on our courses!

Haha! Im still wondering what they meant by the proper degree! No reply as of yet!
Original post by myblueheaven339
Haha! Im still wondering what they meant by the proper degree! No reply as of yet!

A little look at her previous posts indicates that she may be a nurse, which is fairly hilarious because I think the NHS is probably in even more dire straits than education! Also, just so she knows, there are very few Secondary Education BA degrees that you can take as an undergrad. You usually need a first degree, and then take a PGCE. But why let facts get in the way of a badly spelled moan about something you don't understand?
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie
A little look at her previous posts indicates that she may be a nurse, which is fairly hilarious because I think the NHS is probably in even more dire straits than education! Also, just so she knows, there are very few Secondary Education BA degrees that you can take as an undergrad. You usually need a first degree, and then take a PGCE. But why let facts get in the way of a badly spelled moan about something you don't understand?

Indeed. Why bother with the truth when you can just run your mouth off and make yourself look like an idiot!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 49
Original post by myblueheaven339
Indeed. Why bother with the truth when you can just run your mouth off and make yourself look like an idiot!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Very true, plus the absence of a response from our hater speaks volumes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
I am writing this because I struggled at the start and almost quit my scitt course, but I pushed through and started to love it once I got to my second placement. The negative comments on sites like this really freaked me out, so I thought writing this may hopefully help people! I have included my experience and my top tips...sorry about the essay (English teacher). Please also excuse any errors- I'm on half term!! Overall, I am really enjoying my pgce now and am looking forward to starting my job in September.

Why it was tough and how to overcome it:

For me, the toughest thing was being anxious and abit rubbish at teaching the start of the course, so my advice would be to expect this so you are prepared and can plough through it. I am a scitter, so stareted teaching in seotember. I was so anxious i wasn't myself in the classroom- for me this took time. Now I am relaxed and free to enjoy it.

Also, it is tiring but the holidays are amazing! It is nice to work really hard and then totally chill in the holidays- I am organised so this has been possible. You enjoy your free time so much more when you really need and deserve it! Here I should add that you should have a hobby and keep doing it as much as you used to once you start your pgce...people told me I wouldn't have time to surf, but I prioritsed it and still get in about four days a week...work comes second and always gets done! If you are happy, rested and excercised, you will teach better!

Another thing I would say is to ignore negative teachers...i am an English teacher and in my first placement everyone constantly complained. Try to ignore this and find positive teachers who enjoy their job to talk to to keep you positive (I find levels of positivity depend on the school).

I have four weeks left now, I look forward to my lessons where I can have fun and try out my strange ideas...such as getting the class to act out a scene from Shakespeare in fancy dress and filming it on my phone for them to review (and laugh at) next lesson. In what other job could you do this?!

Hope this helps!
Hi Everyone

I am starting in Sept too. I'm doing the SCITT route with WRPITT :smile:

My degree was in Child Psychology, which I got back in 2010.

Finally, found the time to be able to go back to uni to do the career that I have always wanted to do :smile:

It's so refreshing to find a group with positives, instead of just moaning/negatives. I understand there will be stress and prob tears.
However, I am so determined to be a brilliant primary KS1 teacher, that I can deal with a few hiccups.

Not long now

Lisa xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a lovely idea for a thread! I remember being in your position last year; desperate to get started and keen to know what to expect. I was stocking up on contact lenses/toiletries/work clothes/stationery etc as I tried to get prepared. I'm currently coming to the end of a SDS Primary course (with PGCE) so my top tips would be:

1) Get organised. The people who have fared best on the course (by far) are those who have excellent time management skills. If you have been given work to do, then do it - don't procrastinate. I believe this is particularly key with your PGCE assignments. As soon as you know what you're writing about, get cracking. If you get the assignment done early then you'll have time to edit and improve your work. Get lots of folders and file things as soon as you're given them.

2) Make the most of every minute at school. Some days you'll need an hour lunch break, but most days you can have a quick 15 min break and then crack on with marking if you can. Particularly if you're in upper KS2, the marking will quickly get out of control. Spend your breaks getting it done. The more you get done at school, the less work you have to take home.

3) Get a diary and fill it in every day. Note down what year group you taught/observed and what subject/topic. If you have training, make a note of it. If you attend a staff meeting, make a note of it. When it comes to putting your evidence together you'll be able to refer back to it.

4) Observe as many teachers as you can. On an SDS course, the expectation of you in terms of teaching hours is very high so you may not get a great deal of opportunity to do this. However, if you can, then do. You'll see teachers that are amazing, that you aspire to be like, and you'll observe teachers who teach in a way that seems alien to you. They're all good opportunities. One teacher might have amazing behaviour management techniques, another amazing assessment for learning techniques (don't worry if you don't know what AfL is as yet....it took me months to get my head around it).

5) Don't expect your mentor to be your best friend. My mentor clearly didn't want the role and made it clear that she was lumbered with me. I found this very difficult to come to terms with and as such my first half term was very tough and I didn't want to go back after half-term. My second placement mentor was the total opposite. It is unfortunate if you don't have a great mentor (especially when others on your course do) and I'd say it's probably the biggest inconsistency within the PGCE course. Until you meet them, you have no idea whether you'll get on, or whether they even wanted the mentor role.

6) Remain professional. It's really tempting to vent/bitch in the staffroom but don't do it. Equally, stay away from those people who are constantly negative and tell you not to become a teacher because it sucks. These people will suck all the positivity out of you if you let them. Smile graciously and leave them to it - you've probably got shed loads of marking to do anyway, haven't you?

7) Don't book a holiday for Autumn half-term. I did, thinking it would be nice to have something to look forward to, but I ended up working the entire time. I'm glad I did work though as the second half-term was easier, having caught up with a lot of paper work whilst on holiday. Also, warn your friends/family that your social life will be put on hold for nine months. You'll be working most evenings/weekends - time to accept that fact!

8) Don't be too hard on yourself. You're a trainee, not a teacher so don't beat yourself up if you get 'requires improvement' on some of your observations. You are learning. You will get better if you take on board the advice you're given. Be kind to yourself and don't think that everyone else is doing really well apart from you - they're not. Everyone will have their own pressure points.

9) Make sure your subject knowledge is good. If you're doing a Primary course, could you confidently explain Level 6 maths to a Year 6 pupil? If not, spend the summer getting up to speed. This will save you time when you're planning/teaching lessons later on. You should be capable of challenging and stretching the most-able Year 6 pupil as well as supporting the lowest ability Reception child.

10) Try to enjoy it....I know it's hard when you're tired, stressed, desperately trying to plan an 'outstanding' lesson for your formal observation but having a sense of humour is essential!

I've had some serious low points on this course, as I've mentioned above, and really didn't want to go back after the first half term. Now I have my NQT job lined up, I've received distinctions in all of my PGCE Level 7 assignments and am hoping to qualify as an outstanding NQT. The best thing about the course is the children (obviously). Make a note of the funny things they say to make you laugh and read them back when you're questioning your sanity.

I mentioned to my class that it was my daughters birthday a few weeks ago, so the entire class burst into song:
'Happy Birthday to your daughter'
'Happy Birthday to bellylaugh's daughter'

Made me laugh so much! :smile:
Ah I forgot to add - lock down your social media ASAP!
Change your security settings on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram - whatever you're on, go in NOW and make sure the settings are as secure as possible. Particularly on Facebook - make sure only your friends can read your posts/tag you in pictures/see your photographs etc.
Original post by bellylaugh
Ah I forgot to add - lock down your social media ASAP!
Change your security settings on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram - whatever you're on, go in NOW and make sure the settings are as secure as possible. Particularly on Facebook - make sure only your friends can read your posts/tag you in pictures/see your photographs etc.

Done it :smile: I know some parents of the children where I volunteer, so I changed my name a while ago, so I'm harder to find. Especially as the children (year 2) have Facebook!! The little mites found out my first name too haha.

All my security is water tight :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just wanted to write to thank all of those who are replying with encouraging comments :smile: I'm starting my PGCE in the IOE this September and I was getting slightly anxious after reading all those other threads full of complaints...
Original post by bellylaugh
What a lovely idea for a thread! I remember being in your position last year; desperate to get started and keen to know what to expect. I was stocking up on contact lenses/toiletries/work clothes/stationery etc as I tried to get prepared. I'm currently coming to the end of a SDS Primary course (with PGCE) so my top tips would be:

1) Get organised. The people who have fared best on the course (by far) are those who have excellent time management skills. If you have been given work to do, then do it - don't procrastinate. I believe this is particularly key with your PGCE assignments. As soon as you know what you're writing about, get cracking. If you get the assignment done early then you'll have time to edit and improve your work. Get lots of folders and file things as soon as you're given them.

2) Make the most of every minute at school. Some days you'll need an hour lunch break, but most days you can have a quick 15 min break and then crack on with marking if you can. Particularly if you're in upper KS2, the marking will quickly get out of control. Spend your breaks getting it done. The more you get done at school, the less work you have to take home.

3) Get a diary and fill it in every day. Note down what year group you taught/observed and what subject/topic. If you have training, make a note of it. If you attend a staff meeting, make a note of it. When it comes to putting your evidence together you'll be able to refer back to it.

4) Observe as many teachers as you can. On an SDS course, the expectation of you in terms of teaching hours is very high so you may not get a great deal of opportunity to do this. However, if you can, then do. You'll see teachers that are amazing, that you aspire to be like, and you'll observe teachers who teach in a way that seems alien to you. They're all good opportunities. One teacher might have amazing behaviour management techniques, another amazing assessment for learning techniques (don't worry if you don't know what AfL is as yet....it took me months to get my head around it).

5) Don't expect your mentor to be your best friend. My mentor clearly didn't want the role and made it clear that she was lumbered with me. I found this very difficult to come to terms with and as such my first half term was very tough and I didn't want to go back after half-term. My second placement mentor was the total opposite. It is unfortunate if you don't have a great mentor (especially when others on your course do) and I'd say it's probably the biggest inconsistency within the PGCE course. Until you meet them, you have no idea whether you'll get on, or whether they even wanted the mentor role.

6) Remain professional. It's really tempting to vent/bitch in the staffroom but don't do it. Equally, stay away from those people who are constantly negative and tell you not to become a teacher because it sucks. These people will suck all the positivity out of you if you let them. Smile graciously and leave them to it - you've probably got shed loads of marking to do anyway, haven't you?

7) Don't book a holiday for Autumn half-term. I did, thinking it would be nice to have something to look forward to, but I ended up working the entire time. I'm glad I did work though as the second half-term was easier, having caught up with a lot of paper work whilst on holiday. Also, warn your friends/family that your social life will be put on hold for nine months. You'll be working most evenings/weekends - time to accept that fact!

8) Don't be too hard on yourself. You're a trainee, not a teacher so don't beat yourself up if you get 'requires improvement' on some of your observations. You are learning. You will get better if you take on board the advice you're given. Be kind to yourself and don't think that everyone else is doing really well apart from you - they're not. Everyone will have their own pressure points.

9) Make sure your subject knowledge is good. If you're doing a Primary course, could you confidently explain Level 6 maths to a Year 6 pupil? If not, spend the summer getting up to speed. This will save you time when you're planning/teaching lessons later on. You should be capable of challenging and stretching the most-able Year 6 pupil as well as supporting the lowest ability Reception child.

10) Try to enjoy it....I know it's hard when you're tired, stressed, desperately trying to plan an 'outstanding' lesson for your formal observation but having a sense of humour is essential!

I've had some serious low points on this course, as I've mentioned above, and really didn't want to go back after the first half term. Now I have my NQT job lined up, I've received distinctions in all of my PGCE Level 7 assignments and am hoping to qualify as an outstanding NQT. The best thing about the course is the children (obviously). Make a note of the funny things they say to make you laugh and read them back when you're questioning your sanity.

I mentioned to my class that it was my daughters birthday a few weeks ago, so the entire class burst into song:
'Happy Birthday to bellylaugh's daughter'

Made me laugh so much! :smile:

This is absolutely invaluabe advice, thank you! I'm going to save this for when I'm ready to use it pre-PGCE!

Do you have any advice on how you chose where to study for a PGCE? I'm finishing up a postgrad degree next year and have got a longterm placement confirmed in a school and another 1 week placement in another school so I am all organised for that (I think I'll buy a diary just for the placement so I can refer to the classroom experience in my interviews!) but I'm struggling to decide out of three universities, which I would choose as 1st choice, 2nd choice etc - how did you decide where to study for your PGCE?
Reply 57
I'm going to jump in, be controversial and say that I honestly don't feel my PGCE has been the hardest year of my life, or anywhere close. Maybe that's because I used to work in a very stressful, high-pressured job before coming into it, or maybe it's because I have a lot of friends who are teachers and I appreciate how limited the PGCE workload is compared to that of a 'real' teacher. My tips for having a relatively stress-free PGCE year...

1. Choose a provider that *feels* right - if you are lucky enough to have the choice of more than one, go with your gut instinct about how you felt at the interview. Where were the people friendlier? Which was the best organised? It's likely to be a good indicator of what the PGCE will be like.

2. Make the most of your time in college, especially at the start. Don't kill yourself trying to do every piece of optional reading. Take these as down time where you get to start at 9am and take a full lunch break. Use them to bond with your colleagues and get to know the tutors. The hard work is on placement so don't burn yourself out too quickly.

3. As I mentioned above - develop good relationships with your tutors. I've been lucky enough to develop a really strong personal working relationship with both my placement tutors and it's made a world of difference. Don't just go to them when something bad happens - share good things that happen too - it'll help build a positive picture of you as a student.

4. Keep your head down at the start of your placements and continually watch and listen to what's going on around you. Take time to find out how the school works, get to know the different personalities and what's the 'done' thing. I've seen people go into placements all guns blazing, determined to get noticed from the very beginning and do nothing but rub people up the wrong way.

5. Don't make life unnecessarily hard for yourself. Yes - put 110% into every observation lesson and make every effort to ensure the kids have fun and learn, but I started my first placement with a kind of martyr attitude of making my own resources for every lesson and planning from scratch. If the school subscribes to a scheme of work - use it. If a colleague offers you some resources - take them. They might not be exactly the way you would do it, but you'll kill yourself trying to do everything 100% perfectly and by yourself.

6. Take control of your Standards folder as early as you can and work on it regularly - even for half an hour during PPA every week. Don't get to the end of your placements and look back and think 'oh what could I use for my folder?'. Keep on top of it, work out where your gaps are and deliberately set out to fill them. Need to tick off something about summative assessment? Plan it specifically, don't just expect it to happen 'at some point'. At the end of the day this is what you will be judged on, don't let it run away from you.

7. Expect to have some meltdowns. I've had one big one on each placement - where a bad lesson or a dodgy observation, something one of the kids said completely shook my confidence and reduced me to tears of 'I can't do this'. Teaching is stressful, and bad lessons happen. Listen to your teachers and mentors when they tell you that this happens to everyone, even experienced teachers. Wallow for a little while, seek sympathy from PGCE friends, and then dust yourself off and get on with it. Nothing is a better pick-me-up after a bad lesson than a really good one!

8. Have a life. Don't subscribe to those who say 'oh be prepared to give up your social life for 9 months!' Yes there's a lot of work and paperwork... but use every minute you can at school. I usually work either evenings or weekends - so if I'm going away at the weekend I'll work later in the evenings, but if I work on a Sunday it usually means I don't have to work late on weekdays that week. You'll have a lot more work as an NQT so get used to carving out a work life balance.

9. Appreciate how quickly the day goes. If you've ever done an office job, compare it to watching the minutes tick away as you stare at a screen. It's the best, most varied, fun job and the kids are hilarious.
Original post by sunflowerprint
This is absolutely invaluabe advice, thank you! I'm going to save this for when I'm ready to use it pre-PGCE!

Do you have any advice on how you chose where to study for a PGCE? I'm finishing up a postgrad degree next year and have got a longterm placement confirmed in a school and another 1 week placement in another school so I am all organised for that (I think I'll buy a diary just for the placement so I can refer to the classroom experience in my interviews!) but I'm struggling to decide out of three universities, which I would choose as 1st choice, 2nd choice etc - how did you decide where to study for your PGCE?

My choice was based purely on proximity. I have a daughter so there was no way I could go to a placement school that was an hour away as I'd never get time to pick her up from nursery etc. I also chose a provider that offered School Direct Salaried positions as I left a well-paid job to re-train as a teacher so having a salary was essential. I was really lucky and got placed in a school which is a ten minute drive away!
This is such a refreshing post! Great to hear some of the positives. Most people just roll their eyes and look at you in sympathy when you say you're going into teaching...

Any experiences from post-16 Further Ed trainees? I'm going onto this particular course, I'm not sure how much it will differ from a primary/secondary PGCE.

I'm in a position where I've been able to quit my job for the summer and have some time travelling, seeing family, and relaxing before the PGCE (I have been building up to this moment for over a year so feel like I deserve it!) which is great, gives me lots of time to prepare but I have a tendency to over-planner and don't want to overdo it.

In response to the negative comment from one poster saying how 'easy' it is to get onto a PGCE and complete, that we just finish our mickey mouse undergrads and go into teaching, I'll share my story briefly as well. I finished a Combined Honours English and Sociology degree (some may say the latter is 'MM', but I personally find it absolutely fascinating, and fail to see how understanding and challenging societal norms/behaviours is pointless, but hey ho,) at a Russell Group University in 2011. As a student I never had a particular profession I wanted to go into although I did some work experience in schools. I finished University and panicked slightly, head for a fancy corporate job in London (detested it and only lasted 10 months before coming back to the Midlands), got another office job. A year ago I decided to commit to becoming a lecturer/teacher. I was still undecided as to what age group I wanted to teach. I managed to compress my office hours into 4 days rather than 5 days and spent my Fridays, lunch hours and evenings working with migrants teaching English, in a SEN school placed in a class of 11-12 year olds with a range of different needs and working as an eating disorders support group facilitator in the evenings to see what it would be like to engage with people who are potentially marginalised from society, unhappy, and see if I could personally cope with that and if I could make a difference. I found I could. I also completed an evening class at college, as I was flirting with the idea of FE so wanted to see what it would be like to be back in that environment albeit as a student myself, and I loved it. (I studied Counselling Concepts). I read TES, I read educational policy, I spoke to friends who teach in all different subjects and age groups. I found myself pulled towards FE, and recently read an article that a lot of us in FE can be the teacher-therapist types which is definitely me. Yes, I want to teach, educate and inspire students but I'm very much drawn to the down and outs of the world, I love making a positive difference, and I want to steer my career in that direction.

I'm going to specialise in English in the post-16 sector and see where it goes. I don't plan to work in mainstream colleges teaching A Level English although I may well do that, I see myself working in prison education or something similar but ultimately that's how FE captured me. I love diversity and I get bored easily!

Anyway, basically... this has been a long, long time coming, and I don't enter the PGCE or the profession lightly. I expect the course to be consuming and demanding but I also expect to enjoy it despite that. I feel so wasted and useless as an office drone, despite not being paid for all my other work that makes me feel alive, useful, helpful, excited. I know I have a long way to go but I embrace it!

It would be great to hear from a FE trainee to see if your experience(s) has differed or had any particular FE specific issues..?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending