The Student Room Group

Graduate in Philosophy: what will I have to do to study medicine?

Hey everyone. I'll keep this short. I have quite strong academics from school, with a fairly middle of the road 2:1 degree in Philosophy, from a respected university. The only science subject I did at A-Level was Biology.

My questions are:

-Will I do an accelerated course as a graduate?
-Will I need to do A-Level Chemistry?
-What are the chances of me getting a place to study medicine? (Will I need lots of work experience?)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Original post by hpjm1337
Hey everyone. I'll keep this short. I have quite strong academics from school, with a fairly middle of the road 2:1 degree in Philosophy, from a respected university. The only science subject I did at A-Level was Biology.

My questions are:

-Will I do an accelerated course as a graduate?
-Will I need to do A-Level Chemistry?
-What are the chances of me getting a place to study medicine? (Will I need lots of work experience?)

Any help would be much appreciated.

1) It's certainly possible, but no one can say for certain here (i.e. reconsider the use of the verb "will"!).

2) Not necessarily - apply to GEPs which don't require chemistry A level. There are a lot.

3) Again, it's not easy to make these sorts of predictions. 2:1 is certainly a good start. Work experience requirements vary from med school to med school. Some have a certain number of hours/weeks you will need to have completed, others don't. Generally, go for quality over quantity however.

More info here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide
All of these questions can be answered by reading any given medical schools website and/or the TSR wiki.
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
1) It's certainly possible, but no one can say for certain here (i.e. reconsider the use of the verb "will"!).

2) Not necessarily - apply to GEPs which don't require chemistry A level. There are a lot.

3) Again, it's not easy to make these sorts of predictions. 2:1 is certainly a good start. Work experience requirements vary from med school to med school. Some have a certain number of hours/weeks you will need to have completed, others don't. Generally, go for quality over quantity however.

More info here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide

Many thanks man

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending