The Student Room Group

Question for female runners., do you ever get this?

For years I've been getting this. When I go for a run sometimes after a mile I get period like cramps even though I'm not on a period. I just have to walk them off and they go after 10 mins or so then I'm fine again but I usually just head home. Today was bad though again just after a mile I started getting like spasms (like you do on a bad period) and felt faint because of it. It happens anywhere from mid cycle up to a period this is the window where I often get cramps triggered by running. I'm fine just after a period up to mid cycle I can run all I want no cramps.

I saw the gp years ago because of it and he just said 'some women get pms'. I've got some mefenamic acid capsules but surely I can't take one every time I go for a run in case it cramps..

By the way, the cramps are just triggered by running. If I don't exercise I'm fine I don't get them (unless I'm on a period as normal).
(edited 8 years ago)
Any chance it could be an abdominal cramp? How's your form when running? If you twist your abdomen a lot, or clench your lower abdomen muscles this could cause a larger influx of lactic acid to these areas which is causing you pain. Try holding yourself upright and really focus on relaxing your stomach muscles.
Reply 2
Original post by Eloise_027
Any chance it could be an abdominal cramp? How's your form when running? If you twist your abdomen a lot, or clench your lower abdomen muscles this could cause a larger influx of lactic acid to these areas which is causing you pain. Try holding yourself upright and really focus on relaxing your stomach muscles.

No it's menstrual like cramps as I said, it's nowhere near my stomach muscles ithe pain feels in my uterus and cervix area, it happens a week and half before my period is due and all up to my period. Running makes the cramps worse when it's that time of month too it sets the cramping off. I'm fine and can run as much as I like after the period and up to ovulation time.

Quick Reply

Latest