The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Friday 5th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by 8472
Me neither. Seems ages away atm.

5th, 9th, 9th, 16th, 16th, 23rd, 24th

Not liking the look of that double double!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 861
Yes I was thanks, not sure how to quote on this. Do you have a picture of a declining gradient graph when it's an overestimate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 862
Okay, so I done every paper from Jan 06 to June 2014 for C3 and i've done all the papers from June 10 to June 2014 twice each. That's good preparation right?
Reply 863
Original post by Tiwa
Okay, so I done every paper from Jan 06 to June 2014 for C3 and i've done all the papers from June 10 to June 2014 twice each. That's good preparation right?

I've done the same except starting from Jan 05 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 864
Original post by Lukee97
Yes I was thanks, not sure how to quote on this. Do you have a picture of a declining gradient graph when it's an overestimate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This video should help. Watch from 11:33.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 865
Original post by CD223
Haha. I hope it's an okay paper. I just really really want 90 in C3 and C4. It takes the pressure off M2 basically completely haha.

What advice would you give if I was to finish the June 2014 paper tomorrow? As in, how can I prepare having done all past papers twice :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that is nice for you! Hopefully it will be an easier one, I've got to do FP1 straight after :/

Hmmm I'm not really very helpful with this because all I do for maths is all the past papers once (and last year it was more like four past papers once :tongue:) but if you've got a textbook that might have more questions in, if you haven't done them? I know ours had a section of mixed questions at the end of each chapter which were pulled from very old/different spec exam papers. Otherwise are there any questions on the past papers that are still tripping you up after two goes.
Reply 866
Original post by Lau14
Yeah that is nice for you! Hopefully it will be an easier one, I've got to do FP1 straight after :/

Hmmm I'm not really very helpful with this because all I do for maths is all the past papers once (and last year it was more like four past papers once :tongue:) but if you've got a textbook that might have more questions in, if you haven't done them? I know ours had a section of mixed questions at the end of each chapter which were pulled from very old/different spec exam papers. Otherwise are there any questions on the past papers that are still tripping you up after two goes.

Good idea :smile: I'll try some in the revision guide and some in the class books :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have never really asked to draw cotx, so they could ask for that and for some reason think they will ask us to sketch |cotx|.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jimmy20002012
They have never really asked to draw cotx, so they could ask for that and for some reason think they will ask us to sketch |cotx|.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a laugh a minute for those of us with graphical calculators :wink: haha! I wouldn't be surprised if they did though :smile:
Reply 869

Original post by HennersPD
That's a laugh a minute for those of us with graphical calculators :wink: haha! I wouldn't be surprised if they did though :smile:

Lol, I bought a graphical calculator for those very questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you guys have ran out of past papers have a look at the pilot papers. They were set a few years ago as core 3 and core 4 combined with the same AQA style of questions. They are slightly more challenging but good for practice.
Reply 871
Original post by problemq
If you guys have ran out of past papers have a look at the pilot papers. They were set a few years ago as core 3 and core 4 combined with the same AQA style of questions. They are slightly more challenging but good for practice.

Brilliant thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much!! What is it like papers for another maths a level or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much!! What is it like papers for another maths a level or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They were an alternative to core 3 and core 4 for the same maths a level. They stopped doing them now but the questions are the same style just slightly longer. I sat c3 and c4 in jan 2013 and I found them really useful for practicing harder questions.
Reply 874
They were an alternative to core 3 and core 4 for the same maths a level. They stopped doing them now but the questions are the same style just slightly longer. I sat c3 and c4 in jan 2013 and I found them really useful for practicing harder questions.

That's very kind of you, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 875
How do people tend to reject roots when finding the inverse of a function?

I put this for June 2014 question 5:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433239046.410643.jpg

Would that be clear enough that I'm reflecting the original curve for x3x \geq 3 in the line y=xy=x?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 876
Original post by CD223
How do people tend to reject roots when finding the inverse of a function?

I put this for June 2014 question 5:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433239046.410643.jpg

Would that be clear enough that I'm reflecting the original curve for x3x \geq 3 in the line y=xy=x?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say it's fairly clear, but in the markscheme I think it often just wants to see evidence that you knew it could be +- and rejected one, not reasoning or anything?
Reply 877
What would people say the hardest paper has been? :holmes:
Reply 878
Original post by Lau14
I'd say it's fairly clear, but in the markscheme I think it often just wants to see evidence that you knew it could be +- and rejected one, not reasoning or anything?

Oh okay! I just always see "rejected negative root" and wonder if they mean they want a justification.

Personally, what would you say if you were to give a reason?

Just that "the domain is restricted so that x can only be greater than or equal to 3, which when reflected gives an inverse function of f1(x)=3+x+4f^{-1}(x) = 3 + \sqrt{x+4}"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 879
Original post by 8472
What would people say the hardest paper has been? :holmes:

Personally June 2014 has some nice tricks, although we did it in the mock so :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending