The Student Room Group

PG studies in film and media: Bournemouth Uni or Edinburgh Napier?

I'm new in this forum, so hi, everyone!I would like to hear some opinions on which university to choose. Obviously I have made a lot of research before sending my applications, but since now I am in that happy position to be able to choose from several options, I would like to hear some information from "real people".I have been accepted to study a postgraduate degree in film in both Bournemouth University and Edinburgh Napier.I come from Norther Europe, and I am 29 years old, so I guess I could be considered a bit more on the mature side when it comes to studying. I have approx. three years of working experience since graduation.When picking up which universities to apply to, I based my decisions roughly on these things:- price (less than £9,000)-Creative Skillset- location (because my budget is quite tight, I prefer lower living costs- overall reputation (newpaper articles etc.)It would have been lovely to go to study in London, for example, but since I have to pay for the tuition fees myself, I wouldn't be able to cover for example the monthly rent of £800 for a room etc.I have heard many good things about studying media in Bournemouth. The departments are working in close co-operation with each other, there are great visiting lecturers because it is only two hours from London, the animation department is considered quite prestigious these days, the students are getting their ideas and scripts produced and the studio is very well-equipped.When learning more about Edinburgh, I have gained the idea that the films made there are quite well-presented in film festivals, and being a part of the Screen Academy Scotland has brought privileges.I am looking forward to receive an MFA after gaining my MA, so being able to continue my studies is also something I keep in mind, not to mention the employment prospects. During the year of study I would like to enhance my portfolio with as many various projects as possible.So, I would like to hear your opinions about these two universities of choice. Since I am not living in the UK myself, I am not fully aware of their reputation etc.Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Northern_Nomad
I'm new in this forum, so hi, everyone!I would like to hear some opinions on which university to choose. Obviously I have made a lot of research before sending my applications, but since now I am in that happy position to be able to choose from several options, I would like to hear some information from "real people".I have been accepted to study a postgraduate degree in film in both Bournemouth University and Edinburgh Napier.I come from Norther Europe, and I am 29 years old, so I guess I could be considered a bit more on the mature side when it comes to studying. I have approx. three years of working experience since graduation.When picking up which universities to apply to, I based my decisions roughly on these things:- price (less than £9,000)-Creative Skillset- location (because my budget is quite tight, I prefer lower living costs- overall reputation (newpaper articles etc.)It would have been lovely to go to study in London, for example, but since I have to pay for the tuition fees myself, I wouldn't be able to cover for example the monthly rent of £800 for a room etc.I have heard many good things about studying media in Bournemouth. The departments are working in close co-operation with each other, there are great visiting lecturers because it is only two hours from London, the animation department is considered quite prestigious these days, the students are getting their ideas and scripts produced and the studio is very well-equipped.When learning more about Edinburgh, I have gained the idea that the films made there are quite well-presented in film festivals, and being a part of the Screen Academy Scotland has brought privileges.I am looking forward to receive an MFA after gaining my MA, so being able to continue my studies is also something I keep in mind, not to mention the employment prospects. During the year of study I would like to enhance my portfolio with as many various projects as possible.So, I would like to hear your opinions about these two universities of choice. Since I am not living in the UK myself, I am not fully aware of their reputation etc.Thanks! :smile:

Hi Northern_Nomad,

I am currently a student at Bournemouth University, so hopefully can give you some more information about the town!

Bournemouth is a seaside town and the beach is beautiful. Especially in hotter months when you can really appreciate it. It's a sandy beach and has a pier. There also lower gardens which a pretty park which has mini golf, a hot air bloon and a band sometimes plays there. Bournemouth also has a shopping centre with all the high street brands, It also has all the other things you would expect to see in a town like a cinema, theatre, restaurants, cafes, pubs, bars and clubs... basically you won't get bored in Bournemouth!

Gemma :smile:
Original post by Northern_Nomad

Also.. carrying on from my last post. I currently study Television Production,so am part of the media school. It really is a great place to study, we have lots of TV, radio, animation and journalism studios as well as editing suites. We also have industry standard kit and a kit room where you can book all the stuff out. There's always stuff going on in the school, so the atmosphere is great and lot to get involved with.

The media school is also highly regarded as its UK's only centre for excellence in media practice and we have lots of important speakers come in most weeks.

I've personally never been to Edinburgh or know anything about the course, so don't want to give you any false information! However I do know it is a city and capital of Scotland so will be a lot larger than Bournemouth. It depends what you prefer, I thought I would like to study in a city but actually I love being by a sea side town!

Gemma :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hi Northern_Nomad :smile:

I'm currently studying an MA at Bournemouth in Video Editing. As you've touched on in your post, my favourite thing about the course is how the different media MA students work together - the Editors edit, the Directors direct, etc. It feels like a professional production team on a smaller scale.

The facilities at Bournemouth are great; 2 Arri Alexas, 3 Canon C300s, lots of other Panasonics and Canon 5Ds, as well as lighting and sound kits. There is a large green screen TV studio, as well as the uni's own TV and radio stations where you can get some extra experience.

The industry links are very good - from September to March we had a guest speaker almost every Tuesday. It's gives us the opportunity to meet people, network and possible gain some work experience/future job opportunities.

Bournemouth itself is beautiful, and I've absolutely loved being so close to the sea :smile:

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Ali

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending