The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
See post 2 on this thread.

Universities will generally prefer to accept lower grades from firm students than attract students with those lower grades through clearing.

Thank you for the reply, I have read the first post and it says that we can check old clearing lists in old newspapers but will have to find them in the library. Is there anywhere I can check online for old newspaper editions?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Thank you for the reply, I have read the first post and it says that we can check old clearing lists in old newspapers but will have to find them in the library. Is there anywhere I can check online for old newspaper editions?

No. Ucas don't allow online archives
Helloo, the grades I need to get onto my uni course this september is MMM but I think I'm going to get MMP, do you think I'll be okay? :frown: I'm so scared I'm not going to get into any uni
Original post by jAzztaylor
Helloo, the grades I need to get onto my uni course this september is MMM but I think I'm going to get MMP, do you think I'll be okay? :frown: I'm so scared I'm not going to get into any uni

Please take the time and trouble to read the two long posts at the top of this thread. This isn't a thread for us to try and guess what will happen to you. It's a thread to explain that we can't do that, and why.
Don't get why people keep asking if they'll be okay with the grades they think they'll achieve. Nobody can say yes or no. It's frustrating to keep seeing people ask about their grades when the first page clearly states why nobody can say for sure if you'll get in if you miss the grades! Sorry for the rant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I agree. I just think it's a matter of self assurance / denial from the possibility you might not actually get in.
ok chill out! I didn't realise there were another 2 pages of threads.
Do you think that the courses currently in extra are a good indicator of what will be available in clearing? So if a course isn't on extra, it's likely that it wont feature in clearing either? :smile:
Original post by ayshac94
Do you think that the courses currently in extra are a good indicator of what will be available in clearing? So if a course isn't on extra, it's likely that it wont feature in clearing either? :smile:

Don't think there is any direct correlation between the two.

My course had several options last year on extra but only 2ish in clearing.

Number of vacancies available depends on your course and how fussy you are about where you study I reckon. Popularity/demand/number of unis offering course - things like that.

What are you hoping to study?
Original post by AmyPilot
Don't think there is any direct correlation between the two.

My course had several options last year on extra but only 2ish in clearing.

Number of vacancies available depends on your course and how fussy you are about where you study I reckon. Popularity/demand/number of unis offering course - things like that.

What are you hoping to study?

Oh I see, do you think that even though some don't feature in extra they may still appear on clearing?

Hoping to study radiography!
Clearing ALWAYS depends on how many of current Firmers have achieved their required grades on Results Day.
Extra has nothing to do with this. So no, there is no link at all - and so all attempts to second-guess what might be Clearing using this 'method' are pointless.

PS. Radiography is unlikely to be in Clearing - its a highly competitive course that usually interviews.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Clearing ALWAYS depends on how many of current Firmers have achieved their required grades on Results Day.
Extra has nothing to do with this. So no, there is no link at all - and so all attempts to second-guess what might be Clearing using this 'method' are pointless.

Come to think of it, that does make sense. Thanks for the info!
Oh I see, do you think that even though some don't feature in extra they may still appear on clearing?

Hoping to study radiography!

Last year there were a few radiography courses in clearing - bangor, Cumbria, derby, Portsmouth, Liverpool, Sheffield hallam and a couple of others.

Of course that doesn't mean there will be places this year but you never know.

Good luck
Reply 53
I think I'm going to clearing after that OCR F324 exam....

No - a lot of unis don't enter Extra but put quite a few courses in Clearing when they have final numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeus579
I think I'm going to clearing after that OCR F324 exam....

same... :frown:
I would recomend taking a look at Uni Stats
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

Look up your university and course and see the entry information tab. This will show you the Ucas Tarrif for people who are on that course. If it appears the Ucas scores go below what you were offered it is more likely you will be allowed in or that Uni below your offer or they will be in clearing.
Does anyone know if say you just missed your grades by a little bit if you can call up the uni and try and persuade them to take you? (Especially this year as caps are off) I have a feeling I will just miss my grades but will be very close to what I've been asked for. Anyone know if this ever works? Or is it game over once they have said no? I also have relevant work experience for my course which should in theory help my application if I fall short but I know unis are all about grades! (Especially Birmingham which is where I've applied!) any advise would be great
Original post by lilychapmanxx
Does anyone know if say you just missed your grades by a little bit if you can call up the uni and try and persuade them to take you? (Especially this year as caps are off) I have a feeling I will just miss my grades but will be very close to what I've been asked for. Anyone know if this ever works? Or is it game over once they have said no? I also have relevant work experience for my course which should in theory help my application if I fall short but I know unis are all about grades! (Especially Birmingham which is where I've applied!) any advise would be great

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1727737&p=33161254#post33161254
This is an old post, but one of the best ever on TSR in my opinion. Some things have changed but the principle is the same: if it says unsuccessful on Track, it's game over. If it's still unchanged, you might, just might, be lucky. But don't count on it;
Original post by lilychapmanxx

No-one can stop you phoning. Every year hundreds, probably thousands, will make that call, and a number you can probably count on the fingers of two hands will get in and most of those will be non-typical applicants in some way or another. Meanwhile others are taking the best places in clearing by phoning universities who might want them, rather than universities that definitely don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending