The Student Room Group

IB help please

I go to a non-target studying Maths, just finished first year I'm expecting to get a first.

i have completed one spring week at hsbc and that's it, there's nothing else in my cv related to IB. I can also do vba programming.

Currently I'm reading a detailed guide on m&a deals and also trying to learn a bit of financial modelling. Is there anything else I should be doing right now as I don't have much to do over the summer?

Other questions I wanted to ask are:
what exactly do IB summer internship background checks involve?
How likely is it that you would get a full time offer after a summer internship?
Original post by Vorsah
I go to a non-target studying Maths, just finished first year I'm expecting to get a first.

i have completed one spring week at hsbc and that's it, there's nothing else in my cv related to IB. I can also do vba programming.

Currently I'm reading a detailed guide on m&a deals and also trying to learn a bit of financial modelling. Is there anything else I should be doing right now as I don't have much to do over the summer?

Other questions I wanted to ask are:
what exactly do IB summer internship background checks involve?
How likely is it that you would get a full time offer after a summer internship?

They usually check your A-level grades and gcse's to see if they match, also check to see if you are actually at the university you say you are at. Along with criminal record questions etc..

depends which bank, and the calibre of interns.
lol bro **** financial modelling man, learn that just before ur interviews as chances are you'll forget.

do some volunteering, relevant work experience (in finance, if possible), indulge urself in ec's. if all else fails.. have fun, as its probs gonna be ur last summer for a long time.
Reply 3
Original post by gr8wizard10
lol bro **** financial modelling man, learn that just before ur interviews as chances are you'll forget.

do some volunteering, relevant work experience (in finance, if possible), indulge urself in ec's. if all else fails.. have fun, as its probs gonna be ur last summer for a long time.

Where should I look for this finance experience?

Cos atm everything is finished
Reply 4
Original post by Vorsah

Linkedin search for alumni, try contacting them for informal work exp/shadowing, look for firms in your area and cold call/email as much as possible asking for summer work experience

And also any family/friends in finance can make your life a lot easier - if you have that opportunity utilize it as much as possible to gain experience
Original post by Vorsah

cold call, everything is not finisehd as i got a call recently regarding an interview..

if there's no official apps, call managers in firms and pitch yourself
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10
cold call, everything is not finisehd as i got a call recently regarding an interview..

if there's no official apps, call managers in firms and pitch yourself

I plan to email my cv and cover letter to loads of boutique IBs, not asking for a summer internship, but just 2 or 3 days where I can go their office and get an insight. Is this a good idea?

Congrats for the interview is it for BB or a boutique?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vorsah
I plan to email my cv and cover letter to loads of boutique IBs, not asking for a summer internship, but just 2 or 3 days where I can go their office and get an insight. Is this a good idea?

Congrats for the interview is it for BB or a boutique?

Was for a firm called fisher investments, just something finance related

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending