The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

Your chances of being let in having missed a grade are higher when:

You've only missed one a grade e.g. you were asked for ABB and got ABC.

The grade you missed isn't in a subject directly relevant to the course, e.g. the C was in French, and you want to study history.

It's not a GCSE grade. Grades for GCSE English and maths are usually pretty hard requirements, if you miss the B or C grade the uni is asking for, you probably won't get a place even if you achieve/ exceed the A-level grades you need.

Everyone else has done badly as well!

Do points 2 and 3 cancel if you miss a grade in a GCSE subject that's not directly relevant to the course?
Original post by PQ

I have no offers - that means I can apply through clearing in July doesn't it?

Although Clearing opens in July YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CLEARING OFFERS UNTIL YOU HOLD YOUR RESULTS. Clearing offers are all unconditional (the UCAS code for them is UCC "Unconditional Clearing Choice" ).

All of your results or just A-level?
Original post by morgan8002
Do points 2 and 3 cancel if you miss a grade in a GCSE subject that's not directly relevant to the course?

All of your results or just A-level?

There is generally not a lot of leeway for GCSE results. If a course requires a grade then missing it will usually mean a straight rejection.

If you are waiting on gcse results you likely wont know if you are in clearing until gcse results are released.

In general it isn't advised to apply for courses with gcse results pending - it puts you in a very poor position if you miss your gcse grades. I'd suggest preparing for a ga year if you think you are likely to miss gcse conditions - clearing might offer some options but it is best not to rely on it.
Remember also that GCSE results come out a week after A levels. This means that you wont know if you are accepted by your Uni for a week after most other people.
If you have failed to get into that Uni (for whatever reason) then you will be a week behind on Clearing - and the vast majority of desirable places will have gone. This is another reason for taking a Gap Year and applying with known grades.
Original post by PQ
There is generally not a lot of leeway for GCSE results. If a course requires a grade then missing it will usually mean a straight rejection.

If you are waiting on gcse results you likely wont know if you are in clearing until gcse results are released.

In general it isn't advised to apply for courses with gcse results pending - it puts you in a very poor position if you miss your gcse grades. I'd suggest preparing for a ga year if you think you are likely to miss gcse conditions - clearing might offer some options but it is best not to rely on it.

I know, but I'm not sure exactly how it is weighted. If you double or triple the A-level offer, is there a small chance you could be accepted?

Can you ask to be released from your firm and insurance offers and apply to others via clearing before GCSE results?

Are there any clearing courses for maths and/or physics that don't require GCSE English? I know clearing places sometimes have lower requirements. All of the non-clearing ones require it.

Surely you're in the same position if you apply and fail as you are if you don't apply? Also, you have a chance of passing or failing and being accepted, so I don't see why it wouldn't be advised.

I do have plans for a gap year, but I really don't want to go on a gap year.
Original post by returnmigrant
Remember also that GCSE results come out a week after A levels. This means that you wont know if you are accepted by your Uni for a week after most other people.
If you have failed to get into that Uni (for whatever reason) then you will be a week behind on Clearing - and the vast majority of desirable places will have gone. This is another reason for taking a Gap Year and applying with known grades.

I know.
Reply 65
Original post by mck9777
Hiya, my course is asking BBB, i think i should get AAC, any ideas on my chances? :frown:

What uni wants BBB? If you get AAC, you'd certainly have a good pick of top uni's (it's close to ABB )
I know, but I'm not sure exactly how it is weighted. If you double or triple the A-level offer, is there a small chance you could be accepted?

Can you ask to be released from your firm and insurance offers and apply to others via clearing before GCSE results?

Are there any clearing courses for maths and/or physics that don't require GCSE English? I know clearing places sometimes have lower requirements. All of the non-clearing ones require it.

Surely you're in the same position if you apply and fail as you are if you don't apply? Also, you have a chance of passing or failing and being accepted, so I don't see why it wouldn't be advised.

I do have plans for a gap year, but I really don't want to go on a gap year.

Without gcse English you're likely to struggle to get a job post university. Unis are reluctant to accept students for a degree if they lack the gcse requirements (regardless of A levels) because they will be setting students up for failure post-degree.
Original post by PQ
Without gcse English you're likely to struggle to get a job post university. Unis are reluctant to accept students for a degree if they lack the gcse requirements (regardless of A levels) because they will be setting students up for failure post-degree.

I know, but if I got into university without passing I'd have 4 years to pass, with multiple entries each year so a reasonable chance of passing I think.
Original post by AR_95
If you get AAC, you'd certainly have a good pick of top uni's (it's close to ABB )

But not close enough. Unis asking for A grades will want consistent academic ability across 3 subjects, not 'good at two'.

PS. its not much help saying things like 'you'll have your pick of top Unis' when actually you have no idea.
Original post by returnmigrant
But not close enough. Unis asking for A grades will want consistent academic ability across 3 subjects, not 'good at two'.

PS. its not much help saying things like 'you'll have your pick of top Unis' when actually you have no idea.

I got offered places at 5 top unis on AAC including Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool and Exeter so that simply isn't the true. AAC are well regarded grades and the same amount of ucas points as ABB. Top Universities are likely to take individuals with AAC.
Reply 70
Original post by lilychapmanxx
I got offered places at 5 top unis on AAC including Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool and Exeter so that simply isn't the true. AAC are well regarded grades and the same amount of ucas points as ABB. Top Universities are likely to take individuals with AAC.

Yeah this was the point I wanted to make

Most unis only ask for GCSE English and maths, and they usually ask for the minimum grade needed to cope with the course, usually a C or a B. Unis don't want to set people up to fail, so if they don't think you have the English and maths skills needed to cope with the course, they won't give you a place.

Also, as has been said, GCSE results come out a week after A-level results. That means unis have had an extra week to fill places via adjustment.

It's not impossible you'd be let in if you missed a B grade by a few marks and got a C, but it's very unlikely you'd be let in if you missed a C grade.
does anyone know where i might find a list of unis in clearing last year and with what subjects, just to maybe get an idea of what it will be like this year/? have looked everywhere but can't seem to find one! Thanks
Original post by scaredaboutfutur
does anyone know where i might find a list of unis in clearing last year and with what subjects, just to maybe get an idea of what it will be like this year/? have looked everywhere but can't seem to find one! Thanks

I have also tried to find this list! I think they take them all down..
I have also tried to find this list! I think they take them all down..

i wish someone had copied and pasted or something for the next generation aha

Me too! Would be really useful to know the sorts of things going!

Me too! Would be really useful to know the sorts of things going!

You need to go to the library and ask for the relevant copies of the Telegraph. They aren't kept online for copyright reasons. That said, what happened in years gone by is of no relevance to this year. It's like the July sales. If the shop's buyer bought too many lime green polo necked jumpers with three arms, and they are all left unbought, it would be stupid to buy in too many of the same things in the next year. In the same way, universities adjust numbers on courses to try to correct the clearing problems of the previous years, so things are never the same.
Got a couple questions:

Applying to do maths at Nottingham, the entry requirements quite high but I reckon I've got it apart from in film studies, which I need an A for as part of my entry grades, and i reckon I've got a B. They asked for AAA along with an A* in maths OR an A in AS Further maths. I reckon I've got the A in further maths and I'm borderline A* for maths, not sure atm. But say I slip to B in film but reach the rest of my offer (possibly get A* in maths and A in FM), what are the chances they'll let me in?
Plus, if I look at UCAS on results day and I've missed the grades for Nottingham and they haven't let me in, and I've been accepted into my insurance, is it still worth ringing Nottingham up to try and get a place?
Original post by jubilant_joej
Got a couple questions:

Applying to do maths at Nottingham, the entry requirements quite high but I reckon I've got it apart from in film studies, which I need an A for as part of my entry grades, and i reckon I've got a B. They asked for AAA along with an A* in maths OR an A in AS Further maths. I reckon I've got the A in further maths and I'm borderline A* for maths, not sure atm. But say I slip to B in film but reach the rest of my offer (possibly get A* in maths and A in FM), what are the chances they'll let me in?
Plus, if I look at UCAS on results day and I've missed the grades for Nottingham and they haven't let me in, and I've been accepted into my insurance, is it still worth ringing Nottingham up to try and get a place?

If you missed the A in film and got a B they may still take you depending on numbers and how everyone else who applied did. For example if there are 60 places and 50 reach the offer they will look for the 10 with the closest grade requirements, however if 60 get the grades you may not get in. If you do get the A* you'd be in a really good position! Especially as that's in the subject you want to take so they are likely to take you even if you get the B in film (although they are not obliged to as technically it doesn't meet the offer) but good news, caps are off this year meaning they can let in as many students for each course as they like. I am counting on this anyway if I don't meet the requirements! :smile:
Original post by jubilant_joej
Got a couple questions:

Also I will be calling up my firm if I just missed the grades! They might have other courses they could offer. But you will need to be released by your insurance before you can do this as you will hold an offer elsewhere and this can take up to 14 days!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending