The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Chlorophile
If you think you'll be happier at Leeds, I'd go with them :smile: It's still a really great university, I've met quite a few professors at places like Imperial who did their undergraduate at Leeds.

Very true. If you honestly did prefer Leeds go with it. I think you should go with what you felt on the day you visited and don't overthink it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mattinj
Morning all.
I have applied for geology BSc, and have recieved offers of ABB, from Southhampton, Liverpool, Exeter and Cardiff.
I am torn between Liverpool and Cardiff. I am aware that liverpool is higher in the Rankings for Geology, but at the moment Cardiff seems to be a bit better all round. i Literally have no idea though.
Any thoughts or ideas would be amazing.

I'd go with the one you liked the look of more - from the sound of it, that's Cardiff. I don't know much about either of their courses unfortunately but I'm going to guess that the differences in quality, if any, will be small. They're both very good universities so the important thing is that you choose the course you'll hopefully enjoy more.
Original post by mattinj
Morning all.
I have applied for geology BSc, and have recieved offers of ABB, from Southhampton, Liverpool, Exeter and Cardiff.
I am torn between Liverpool and Cardiff. I am aware that liverpool is higher in the Rankings for Geology, but at the moment Cardiff seems to be a bit better all round. i Literally have no idea though.
Any thoughts or ideas would be amazing.

Have you visited both uni's? My son went to visit Cardiff Geology dept. with his school and was very disappointed, they weren't shown around by any staff and the labs had one microscope that didn't work properly. However, my other son has a friend studying Geology at Cardiff and he's happy there.
Liverpool are approx 15 places above Cardiff in the Complete University Guide for Geology, I'd definitely visit if you haven't already.
Reply 663
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Have you visited both uni's? My son went to visit Cardiff Geology dept. with his school and was very disappointed, they weren't shown around by any staff and the labs had one microscope that didn't work properly. However, my other son has a friend studying Geology at Cardiff and he's happy there.
Liverpool are approx 15 places above Cardiff in the Complete University Guide for Geology, I'd definitely visit if you haven't already.

Hi there.
Yes I've visited both of them, twice.
i feel liverpool has better facilities, but not necessarily better lecturers. The courses are both very similar in terms of content and field work. I've been told not to look too much into the league tables as they have very random deciding factors that change every other minute (apparently).
I literally have no idea😁😁😁
Hi, can anyone recommend Geology books for wider reading aspect of ucas application? Thanks
Hi, can anyone recommend Geology books for wider reading aspect of ucas application? Thanks

Earth Potrait of a Planet. Stephen Marshak

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nadinelia11
Earth Potrait of a Planet. Stephen Marshak

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, any others guys?
I've got this, and I am chuffed: "I am pleased to inform you that after careful consideration we have selected you for one of our prestigious William Dawkins scholarship awards.", If I meet grade barrier that is, I don't worry that much, got an A*A*A on mocks :biggrin: unfortunately I didn't get one for RHUL, and this is the one I would've desired the most.
I still have not picked my firm, in each one there was something great! I am so undecesive... Is anyone out there that has not picked their firms yet?
Reply 668
Anyone here that has Firmed Uni of Manchester for Earthsciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys just want some opinions here. I do Geology at school but I have no way of knowing how competitive Msc's for undergraduates are.
I got 3 A*s, 6 A's and 1 B at GCSE and am predicted 4 A's at AS level, but that's unlikely to happen seeing as I have found English a nightmare this year and ended up with a C in my mock at Christmas. I think I'm more likely to end up with AAAB at best.
The reason I am concerned is because my school gave out this UCAS guide that said in reality the vast majority of people that get offers on AAB and AAA courses have far higher predictions than the bare minimum.
Basically I've interpreted that to mean that unless I get 3 A's this year (I am paranoid I my slip up in Geography or Biology) I shouldn't bother applying for the Manchester Earth Science Msc or the Birmingham msc Geology.
What are your opinions on this? Do you think that even if I **** up my AS levels in August and say get 2 A's, 2 B's I would be at a complete disadvantage.
Thanks.
Original post by Shane Webb
Guys just want some opinions here. I do Geology at school but I have no way of knowing how competitive Msc's for undergraduates are.
I got 3 A*s, 6 A's and 1 B at GCSE and am predicted 4 A's at AS level, but that's unlikely to happen seeing as I have found English a nightmare this year and ended up with a C in my mock at Christmas. I think I'm more likely to end up with AAAB at best.
The reason I am concerned is because my school gave out this UCAS guide that said in reality the vast majority of people that get offers on AAB and AAA courses have far higher predictions than the bare minimum.
Basically I've interpreted that to mean that unless I get 3 A's this year (I am paranoid I my slip up in Geography or Biology) I shouldn't bother applying for the Manchester Earth Science Msc or the Birmingham msc Geology.
What are your opinions on this? Do you think that even if I **** up my AS levels in August and say get 2 A's, 2 B's I would be at a complete disadvantage.
Thanks.

Hey, imo you shouldn't worry anywhere near as much as you are. Most courses aren't particularly competetive and I know people with offers despite predictions below the entry requirements. Someone I know got BBBD and then an unconditional for an AAB course! If you end up with AABB, your predictions are likely to be something like A*AA in the relevant subjects, and you dont even have to put your AS levels on ucas unless youre applying for oxbridge. So I'd say you've got a pretty good chance of going to manchester or birmingham, and they sometimes offer for the bsc if you meet those requirements, and then you can do a stand alone masters which is better anyway! So yeah, dont worry, you sound like your in a good position to get some pretty tank offers :smile:

I read the map that changed the world by Simon Winchester
Original post by supervolcano
But Royal Holloway has a castle!

I'm with you on that one, its my insurance. :wink:
Anyone else firmed Aberdeen for Geology and Petroleum Geology? :smile:
Anyone here planning on going to Bristol (or any other uni), I've finished my course and I'm looking to sell my first year textbooks. They're super expensive new (don't make the same mistake I did and buy them all new) and any middle man service will take a big cut so I'd prefer to sell to someone directly. I'm pretty OCD about keeping them in good condition so most are like new. Send me a PM if you want details, I've got 11 books to sell which I spent around £300 on
Original post by Shane Webb
Thanks.

Nah i think that's bull**** (sorry if that sounds rude) AAB or ABB are good grades and i think Manchester and Birmingham will accept it.
Reply 676
I got AABB at AS level and i got offered an interview at oxford and have a place at imperial, durham, bristol and saint andrews, so im pretty sure Manchester and birmingham would take you with those grades for earth sciences! :smile:
Hey, iv been watching this thread for a while without really saying much mainly because i felt out of place in the way that most of you are planning on going to incredible universities while im sitting here feeling ambitious about firming a BBB offer from Keele to study Geology with Physical Geography. I also insuranced Aberystwyth. i'm practically inlove with geology, its what i mainly talk about and its my hobby! I absolutly love and dream of studying extreme environments and conducting research in them for a living lol. I'm really excited/nervous for result day and im feeling ready than ever to move on to the next stage and finally studying something that i absolutely love rather than doing a side of 2 other subjects like Maths. Seriously praying i get in either my firm or insurance, i worked extremely hard this year and love the unis i accepted offers from (although it was very hard declining Swansea for Aberystwyth). I literally read geology books for pleasure and (obviously) my friends call me nerds but joke about how if theres a rock that ill marry it... Hello though :P
Does anyone know if I would be able to switch from Geology to Geophysics with physics to only an AS level?
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
Does anyone know if I would be able to switch from Geology to Geophysics with physics to only an AS level?

Check on the university's website for their entry requirements for Geophysics. I'd have thought it'd be unlikely though, most of the universities I applied to for Geophysics wanted Physics as an A2. Having said that, there's no harm in asking - send the admissions department an email. The worst thing they can do is say "No".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending