The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninjasinpjs
Hey bro i had a bit of difficulty finding the eigenvector (1) because if any other value was used of y,z instead of x first you get a completely different vector, can you explain why?

You can't use any other value for y and z, you can only do that when you have 3 comparative variables. When solving your 3 simultaneous equations,

x+2z=x

z can only be 0 when you solve by cancelling x's

if you had x=2z and z=2y

then you can set one to whatever you like and figure the other 2 out, but y and z can only take the value 0 in this case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
You can't use any other value for y and z, you can only do that when you have 3 comparative variables. When solving your 3 simultaneous equations,

x+2z=x

z can only be 0 when you solve by cancelling x's

if you had x=2z and z=2y

then you can set one to whatever you like and figure the other 2 out, but y and z can only take the value 0 in this case

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I have to look at the 3 simultaneous and decide what values i can use.

The three equations given were :
x + 2z = x
4y + z = y
5y = z

But if it were like this: [situation 1]

2z = 3x
4y + z = y
5y = z

I could then use any value for x?

What if it were like this : [situation 2]

3x = 0
4y + z + x = y
5y = z

Thanks for Help, this has confuse me for a long time
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
Does anyone know if we need to know the equations of a tangents and normals to Ellipses, Parabolas, Hyperbolas or Rectangular Hyperbolas - the book seems to indicate that we need to learn these, but I haven't yet seen an exam paper which you need to know them
Reply 383
can we be asked stuff from fp2 ?
Original post by rachu
can we be asked stuff from fp2 ?

not at all, you don't have to do both fp2 and fp3 for further maths
Reply 385
Original post by luckystar1900
not at all, you don't have to do both fp2 and fp3 for further maths

thank you :smile: I thought so too but wasnt sure!
whay matrix 'proofs' do we need to know?
hey guys by the way are graphic calcs allowed for fp3 ?
Just a question: I don't mean this to sound cocky or anything so please don't think I'm being arrogant but basically I've done all the papers which are available from the current specification (all the normal, international, specimen, IAL papers etc). Are there any other papers which are FP3 papers which anyone has found for us to do?
Original post by Skitee
Just a question: I don't mean this to sound cocky or anything so please don't think I'm being arrogant but basically I've done all the papers which are available from the current specification (all the normal, international, specimen, IAL papers etc). Are there any other papers which are FP3 papers which anyone has found for us to do?

Same here try ocr or just do the review exercise. By the way are g calcs alloed ?
Original post by ninjasinpjs
Is it possible to get the vector equation of a plane from the scalar form? If so, whats the method? Thanks

no i don't think so, they will always give you extra info if needs be
Original post by thing789
Hi,
Does anyone know if we need to know the equations of a tangents and normals to Ellipses, Parabolas, Hyperbolas or Rectangular Hyperbolas - the book seems to indicate that we need to learn these, but I haven't yet seen an exam paper which you need to know them

It will be good to know them (saves time) but as long as you know how to derive them, you don't need to memorise it.
is this the last year of these modues or will they be continued next year?
invariant.pngThis is Review Exercise 2 Q31 in the Edexcel textbook. For a the answer states that the image is the point (2, -1), but the image I get is the line x = 2 as the y value still contains a parameter?
[ln(e^1)] ^ (x +2)

this expressions can equal to (1) - if power rule not used or (x + 2) - if power rule used?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
invariant.pngThis is Review Exercise 2 Q31 in the Edexcel textbook. For a the answer states that the image is the point (2, -1), but the image I get is the line x = 2 as the y value still contains a parameter?

for the parameter you would sub ur x value, thiss gives an answer of (2,7) the book made a mistake, look at the same q here https://9ccd9b5f157a67423e5533d7dfd0e5e5186eb606.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYS0c3WFFVYXFSYzg/REV2.pdf
the initial matrix given is wrong
Original post by HashiramaSenju
By the way are g calcs alloed ?

Depends on the model, I know some of them are and others aren't... there's probably an official list on the edexcel website somewhere
Original post by mmms95
for the parameter you would sub ur x value, thiss gives an answer of (2,7) the book made a mistake, look at the same q here https://9ccd9b5f157a67423e5533d7dfd0e5e5186eb606.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYS0c3WFFVYXFSYzg/REV2.pdf
the initial matrix given is wrong

If that matrix in the book were correct you get (2, 4t - 1); I don't think you'd sub in x = 2 as the parameter; the initial x value of the line you mapped would be t, if I mapped (4,9) for instance I would get 2, 15 (2, 4*4 -1)
But good to know it was the book's fault...thanks very much for the link, my live text thing doesn't let me go to those solutions for some reason
Original post by Skitee

Didnt know there were IAL FP3 papers, if so where can i find them?
Original post by chemlover12
Did you get it in the end or are you still confused?

The mark scheme said something different, could you do it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending