The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Onlyheretoask
Want to be realistic here.

2A / 4B / 4C / 1D @ GCSE
3x BTEC Distinction Level 2 (music / public services / aviation studies) (former air cadet)
Grades 1-7 inc. Piano
B (business studies), C (geography), D (german) A Level
Repeating A Levels this year. aiming for A*AA (+A at AS Further Maths)
Got a SW from 1st year uni
IBD Internship this summer in Asia
Lots & lots & lots of other extra curricular activities I wont bore you with...

Im trying to be realistic and hope I can pray my way into Cambridge etc. so, rate my chances of getting into a target (more specifically, semi targets - which ones are the most highly recommended?)

Can't comment on IBD/MC but it's not possible to get into Cambridge with just A*AA
Original post by Onlyheretoask
Want to be realistic here.

2A / 4B / 4C / 1D @ GCSE
3x BTEC Distinction Level 2 (music / public services / aviation studies) (former air cadet)
Grades 1-7 inc. Piano
B (business studies), C (geography), D (german) A Level
Repeating A Levels this year. aiming for A*AA (+A at AS Further Maths)
Got a SW from 1st year uni
IBD Internship this summer in Asia
Lots & lots & lots of other extra curricular activities I wont bore you with...

Im trying to be realistic and hope I can pray my way into Cambridge etc. so, rate my chances of getting into a target (more specifically, semi targets - which ones are the most highly recommended?)

If you are in track for those grades, most of the semi targets and maybe UCL and Warwick might take you on - subject dependent however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is Warwick considered strong as an entire uni or is it just the maths and econ departments? I know warwick is a target but would a science degree from there suffice? (For IB/MC)

Also science at notts and bristol - any good?

Also if I took up extra a levels in my gap year to make my cv look nice and kushti would banks ignore this as I will be doing them in my third year of a levels even though I only studied the subjects for a year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Chances of landing a job in ib? Abb in a levels maths physics econs, attending Edinburgh university for econs and finance degree, currently serving 2 years national service in military. Hoping to get into lse or imperial for masters as well.
Original post by ahmedst3
Chances of landing a job in ib? Abb in a levels maths physics econs, attending Edinburgh university for econs and finance degree, currently serving 2 years national service in military. Hoping to get into lse or imperial for masters as well.

a levels might be a little bit of struggle relative to your peers, uni is fine (although not many people i know in ib are from edinburgh). you have a shot, apply and see what happens
I'm an international student currently waiting for results and have applied to Nottingham for economics. My visa officer said that if I were to have any luck in getting a job I should play an "English" sport. Apparently it's a part of the criterion that employers look for. Is this the case for IB ?
Original post by rehan1996
I'm an international student currently waiting for results and have applied to Nottingham for economics. My visa officer said that if I were to have any luck in getting a job I should play an "English" sport. Apparently it's a part of the criterion that employers look for. Is this the case for IB ?

no
Ok, I have a few courses that I want to know if they are good for IB.

A&F @ Warwick
Computer science @ Warwick
A&F @ Durham
Geography @ Durham
Law @ Durham
Geography @ LSE
BIEMF @ Bocconi
Original post by xXxSharkxXx

A&F @ Warwick
A&F @ Durham
Geography @ Durham
Law @ Durham
Geography @ LSE
BIEMF @ Bocconi

Find a course that you actually want to do and then do it a good uni.

Bocconi, LSE and Warwick are all target unis whilst Durham is a semi-target (but a fairly strong one at that).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xXxSharkxXx

A&F @ Warwick
A&F @ Durham
Geography @ Durham
Law @ Durham
Geography @ LSE
BIEMF @ Bocconi

As above, any degree from the targets: Warwick, LSE and Bocconi is fine and is likely to put you in a good position for getting a foot in the industry.
Just incase medicine doesn't work out, what about an engineering degree from Imperial?

To be specific, the 4-year MEng Design Engineering course?

Good enough for IB?
Original post by WannaBDoctor
Just incase medicine doesn't work out, what about an engineering degree from Imperial?

To be specific, the 4-year MEng Design Engineering course?

Good enough for IB?

Doesn't matter. You'll be at Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to find out what it takes to make it in this industry, and how you can set yourself apart from the competition, you should really check this page out. It has loads of information and insight about banking internships and the banking industry.
Reply 9694
Land Econ at Cambridge good enough for an IB position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pvdp
Land Econ at Cambridge good enough for an IB position?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Cambridge good enough for IB?!?!

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having second thoughts on Design Engineering @ Imperial lol, and medicine altogether.

So, I was wondering if a Chemistry degree from Warwick or UCL good enough for FO trading or M&A at a BB? Or is it better to do a weaker subject such as theology or geography albeit at Oxbridge?

So in essence, Oxford/Cambridge theology/geography or Warwick/UCL chemistry.

I do know they are both targets and degree doesn't really matter but if you was going off just these two factors alone, who would you pick?
Reply 9697
^Oxbridge no doubt (ceteris paribus). You don't need a science/maths degree for a lot of those roles.

Ultimately geography/theology doesn't matter or 'disadvantage' you if you come from oxbridge, it does if you come from, say, nottingham or something.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nottingham Industrial economics BSc?
Original post by Audi
Nottingham Industrial economics BSc?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending