The Student Room Group

B at AS?

I'd hate to make another one of those "Am I good enough" threads..
But what if I were to achieve AAB at AS, but the two As were 100% UMS?

That would mean, if my predicted grades were to be the same as what I would achieve at AS (which is what my school does), I would be predicted A*A*B.

It would average to like 90+% but the 'B' doesn't meet the minimum AAA offer.

I'm just so confused, even though the average UMS is high enough, does the fact that one of the AS grades is a B mean one wouldn't be able to apply?

Is that where predicted grades come into play? As kind of a separate question, if someone achieved AAB at AS but were predicted to achieve A*A*A at A2, would they be able to apply? Does Cambridge even give a damn about predicted grades?

Sorry for the surplus of questions, I'm just so curious.
Reply 1
Hypothetically (100+100+79 ) / 3 = 93 so that's definitely worth applying, although UMS is just one part of your total application. And it may also depend on the subjects you are offering and degree you are applying for.

A UMS average > 85ish should get you an interview.

Cambridge doesn't give much attention to predicted grades (because they are often wrong).

Oh and minimum offer is not AAA at A-level, it's typically A*AA for arts and A*A*A for sciences.
Agree with the post above,
It also depends on what you are applying for, if you are applying for natsci with an inclination towards biochemistry and you have 100% in chemistry and biology whilst a B in physics whilst it will affect the application, the high marks in the relevant subjects will be much more important. I'm surprised as you are implying you only did 3 AS levels?
Reply 3
Original post by Wsupermain2
I'm surprised as you are implying you only did 3 AS levels?

If I do apply, I'll be applying for the PBS (Psychological and behavioural studies) course, which I believe is slightly less demanding and competitive than natsci.

My third (worst) grade will be in French, which isn't hugely related anyway so let me know if it'll still affect it as much.
Well you're doing easy AS levels so a B would most likely be considered pretty awful, but 100% in any subject is okay so still apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending