The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

I Am A Second Year Studying Biomedical Science, AMA!

Hey Guys;

Well, as the title says, I am a second year Biomedical Science student.
So, if you have any questions about the university itself or the Biomedical Science course, please ask.

Want to help as many people as I can who are starting in September. =D
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How close are the nearest supermarkets from frenchay? One thing I forgot to check out on the open day last year... There isn't like a real long bus ride is there..?
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by JustCoNa
How close are the nearest supermarkets from frenchay? One thing I forgot to check out on the open day last year... There isn't like a real long bus ride is there..?

Sainsbury's 5 min walk.
Asda/Poundshop/B&M/McDonalds/Nandos (All in one area) - 10 min walk.

So, trust me. You won't find yourself short on places to shop.
Reply 3
Original post by Scienceisgood
Sainsbury's 5 min walk.
Asda/Poundshop/B&M/McDonalds/Nandos (All in one area) - 10 min walk.

So, trust me. You won't find yourself short on places to shop.

Thanks, also do all the rooms on campus come with any sort of clothes rack/horse to dry clothes? or do we just bring our own ? :P
Original post by JustCoNa
Thanks, also do all the rooms on campus come with any sort of clothes rack/horse to dry clothes? or do we just bring our own ? :P

Couldn't tell you that, have never lived on campus before. =l
Sorry.
Reply 5
Ah that's ok! Thanks anyway :smile:
Any other questions?
(edited 8 years ago)
Would like to say congrats to anyone and everyone who made it through this year!
No one wants to ask me anything?
Do you regret picking this course& would you recommend it?
No one wants to ask me anything?

could you provide me with a list of recommended books/websites for the course
Original post by Real_jenn
Do you regret picking this course& would you recommend it?

No, I most certainly do NOT regret picking the course, it is absolutely amazing!
Saying that though, it is FAR from an easy course.

My least favourite module was Cells Genetics and Biochemistry...
Favourite module - A tough choice between Anatomy and Physiology and Pathophysiology of Disease...

Biomedical Skills - You can't really go wrong in though. =)
Are you going into your first year of Biomedical Science?
Original post by Commando1
could you provide me with a list of recommended books/websites for the course

I only bought two books in my first year.

They were the following;

The Principles of Anatomy and Physiology

Essential Cell Biology

The first one is ESSENTIAL if you want to pass Anatomy and Physiology...
Second one, useful if you are more of a visual learner for the Biochemistry section of Cell Genetics and Biochemistry.

Pathophysiology of disease, the reading list is too extensive and thus would be EXTREMELY costly.
I would recommend you just use the library wherever and whenever you can. =l
What is the mix between chemistry and biology in the first year?
Original post by skyonline123
What is the mix between chemistry and biology in the first year?

In Biomedical Skills, there isn't really a mix, it is either plain Biology (albeit INCREDIBLY a small section for that module, literally 5 exam questions throughout the entire year) and Chemistry (is 20% of Semester 1's paper and 50% of Semester 2's paper) and is almost entirely questions involving techniques such as mass spec, Proton NMR, etc...

Anatomy and Physiology - No chemistry whatsoever

Pathophysiology of Disease - No Chemistry at all (Entirely biology, symptoms of disease, diagnosing disease, cures and parasites/microbiology).

Cell Genetics and Biochemistry - Is a lot of Biochemistry, so, the Krebb's Cycle, Light dependent reaction, independent reaction, Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, citric acid cycle etc...

All the processes involve enzymes and I will provide you with images of one of the things you have to learn (enzymes included as well as the steps in order).
(edited 8 years ago)
Images of one of the 7 cycles you will be expected to memorise for Cell Genetics and Biochemistry.
Do you agree that biochemistry should be killed with fire?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Do you agree that biochemistry should be killed with fire?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and no...
They can be interesting, however, they are certainly a pain in the ass with the amount of work needed to go into revising them...
In Biomedical Skills, there isn't really a mix, it is either plain Biology (albeit INCREDIBLY a small section for that module, literally 5 exam questions throughout the entire year) and Chemistry (is 20% of Semester 1's paper and 50% of Semester 2's paper) and is almost entirely questions involving techniques such as mass spec, Proton NMR, etc...

Anatomy and Physiology - No chemistry whatsoever

Pathophysiology of Disease - No Chemistry at all (Entirely biology, symptoms of disease, diagnosing disease, cures and parasites/microbiology).

Cell Genetics and Biochemistry - Is a lot of Biochemistry, so, the Krebb's Cycle, Light dependent reaction, independent reaction, Glycolysis, Gluconeogenesis, citric acid cycle etc...

All the processes involve enzymes and I will provide you with images of one of the things you have to learn (enzymes included as well as the steps in order).

Thank you very much :smile:
If anyone needs any help (first years as I have done it =P), PM me and maybe I can help you.
Maybe we can meet up too at one stage on campus/in the library. =)

Good luck at Fresher's guys!

Bought 2 tickets myself, 1 for Closing Fresher's Party and the other is Pizza and Bowling. =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending