The Student Room Group

Article: Medical school GCSE requirements

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thank gosd some that c at gcse level so happy
Reply 2
thank god some take c at gcse level
Just a 2Q's-
Does getting a C in literature hinder your chances?
Even if you meet their requirements and do better, how much do the GCSEs even contribute to your application?
Original post by brithday
thank god some take c at gcse level

Be careful. They might accept Cs, but if the other applicants all have higher grades they'll be the ones getting places.
Original post by mangomango
I'm a year 10 student. I just did 4 GCSEs quite recently through early entry and will be doing the rest in November and next summer. I heard that GCSE retakes aren't favoured in medicine or dentistry and really affect getting accepted into universities offering these. Is this true because I'm getting put in for some retakes next year and I'm worried that this will affect my chances of getting accepted into medical school. Do I have a reason to worry?

Not really. If your GCSEs are taken within the two-year span only, you're okay. Your certificate shows the year of completion, and seeing as you'd probably not finish those subjects until next year anyways, the universities won't know you retook anything.
Original post by FrustratedHorse
Just a 2Q's-
Does getting a C in literature hinder your chances?
Even if you meet their requirements and do better, how much do the GCSEs even contribute to your application?

Short answer: yes. There will be other applicants with Bs/As/A*s in english Literature. Moreover, English is a core subject, so you'll need an A/A*, if possible, for the best chances.
GCSEs aren't major factors for most medical schools, although some, such as Oxford, hold them in fairly high regard. They'll more be used to distinguish between two applicants who are closely matched.
Reply 7
can you tell me which uni do not focus on gcse and if a b at math will be ok
Original post by brithday
can you tell me which uni do not focus on gcse and if a b at math will be ok

Have a look at the article to see which one's aren't so GCSE heavy. A B grade in GCSE Maths should be fine for some Medical Schools - you'll just need to avoid applying to places that have a higher requirement.
Reply 9
English language is more important and that's what colleges and universities look at.
(edited 8 years ago)
i done my half of the specification for gcses this year therefore they accepted my medical notes to compensate for the other half of the specification so i got my grades im not happy with them... if i retake the gcse year with a medical reason would universities like oxbridge mind because i didnt do it in the 2 year gcse span ..
GCSE results (full courses):
1 A* In maths
5 A's: Bio, chem, phys, computing, additional maths(FSMQ)
5 B's: Eng. lang+lit, geog, DT, French
Short courses:
1 A*- R.S
1 A- Citizenship studies

According to the information above, I would be accepted by a good portion of the universities however my GCSE's still aren't up to par with the competition. If i achieve well in my A levels, would it compensate?
4 A*'s, 7 A's and 3 B's. Good enough?

B's in Chemistry, Physics and English Literature
I got 4a* 5a and 2b but I have good work experience and have got a scholarship to a private school, do I have a chance? (I'm scared my gcses aren't good enough)
Reply 14
Original post by UnicornSparkle13
Short answer: yes. There will be other applicants with Bs/As/A*s in english Literature. Moreover, English is a core subject, so you'll need an A/A*, if possible, for the best chances.
GCSEs aren't major factors for most medical schools, although some, such as Oxford, hold them in fairly high regard. They'll more be used to distinguish between two applicants who are closely matched.

Hi, I'm on the same boat, I also got a C in literature but an A in English language. Will the C in lit affect me dramatically dipite the A in lang?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by averageteen16
I got 4a* 5a and 2b but I have good work experience and have got a scholarship to a private school, do I have a chance? (I'm scared my gcses aren't good enough)

No your gcse grades are awful lol :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by kosvengali
No your gcse grades are awful lol :smile:

Are you being for real?
Original post by Myaow
Are you being for real?

No I'm being sarcastic.
This might be a stupid question, but how do they decide your English grade?
For instance, I achieved and A in English Literature and and A* in English language. Do they calculate an average or just look at your higher grade?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 19
Does it matter if the A in english is lit or lang? (i got an A in lit, B in lang). Some unis specify english lang but others just say english so i'm slightly confused

Quick Reply

Latest