The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Why do you care whether a university that you definitely won't be happy at and know that you won't want to go to, would take you again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A top 30 uni is better than no uni
Original post by Intellectuallyty

You don't have to go to university this year and you certainly don't have to go to a university you dislike.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilychapmanxx
I got offered places at 5 top unis on AAC including Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool and Exeter so that simply isn't the true. AAC are well regarded grades and the same amount of ucas points as ABB. Top Universities are likely to take individuals with AAC.

For what course
Original post by golden tribe
For what course

Philosophy and politics :smile:

However I have been working full time in my year out so that probably helped. AAC isn't the standard offer, it would usually be ABB/AAB. But it just shows how AAC will be considered
(edited 8 years ago)

A year out is better than dropping out or failing because you made a poor decision and ended up miserable.
Hi,
I know i have the grades to meet my firm (ABB)
but i don't want to go there anymore.
Should i risk releasing myself into clearing now ahead of results day
or should i wait to see if i qualify for adjustment,
I DEFINITELY won't be happy at my firm and i KNOW i don't want to go there, at all.
I'm a bit worried because universities such as Manchester have written on their page
Sorry, we no longer have places available through clearing for 2015 entry.
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applications/clearing-adjustment/

Ahead of results day.
I think it's worth the risk.
Will my firm retake me in if i decide to apply through clearing,
My reasoning is more complex than just not wanting to go there. I also might need to stay in London due to having to care for a family member, this is not definite this is a maybe. If i explain this to them and the situation changes will they let me reapply?
Thank you.

If you know you don't want to go to your firm, then ask to be released. It will save faff on results day if you aren't eligible for Adjustment, and taking a gap year is much better than going to a uni you won't be happy at.

FWIW, I would be VERY surprised if Manchester isn't in Clearing after A Level results day. I can't tell you if your subject will definitely be in Clearing, but as a whole the university almost certainly will be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I feel that I have missed my grades for both my firm and insurance, though my insurance is based on points. I did not know about the points state in year 12 when choosing my a levels and had I known I would not have taken chemistry (which I failed) so I don't rely on that AS for points. But anyway, would it go in my favor to contact my insurance choice before results day asking whether they could still consider me knowing that I won't meet their points? I ask because I've read that universities prefer committed offer holders than those in clearing and I do really want to go to my insurance choice.
Original post by natto97
Hi. I feel that I have missed my grades for both my firm and insurance, though my insurance is based on points. I did not know about the points state in year 12 when choosing my a levels and had I known I would not have taken chemistry (which I failed) so I don't rely on that AS for points. But anyway, would it go in my favor to contact my insurance choice before results day asking whether they could still consider me knowing that I won't meet their points? I ask because I've read that universities prefer committed offer holders than those in clearing and I do really want to go to my insurance choice.

The only reason to contact your universities at this stage is if
a) you've changed your mind and don't want to go there any more
b) you had some sort of personal crisis around the exams (ideally this information should come from your referee)
c) you'd like to ask them to consider you for alternative courses with lower entry requirements if you miss the grades of your offer.

Pre-emptive begging isn't going to work in your favour.
Original post by PQ
The only reason to contact your universities at this stage is if
a) you've changed your mind and don't want to go there any more
b) you had some sort of personal crisis around the exams (ideally this information should come from your referee)
c) you'd like to ask them to consider you for alternative courses with lower entry requirements if you miss the grades of your offer.

Pre-emptive begging isn't going to work in your favour.

Ok. How about on/after results day?
Original post by natto97
Ok. How about on/after results day?

See below - only ring your universities in the circumstances it says.

results day flowchart

Some Uni's have the list of which courses will be in their clearing already and the new required points for them you will need when applying through clearing...
Reply 131
How can clearing vacancies be released now when they don't have results yet/know how many people they can take on their course and what space will be left?
Original post by Juuuuh
How can clearing vacancies be released now when they don't have results yet/know how many people they can take on their course and what space will be left?

The government has uncapped the number of UK & EU students that universities can take this year, so it means that there are far more spaces available. This, combined with the fact that the number of 18 year olds in existence is falling year on year, means that there are places that universities simply haven't managed to fill.
Reply 133
Original post by Origami Bullets
The government has uncapped the number of UK & EU students that universities can take this year, so it means that there are far more spaces available. This, combined with the fact that the number of 18 year olds in existence is falling year on year, means that there are places that universities simply haven't managed to fill.

So are the courses they have listed official or are they subject to change on the day? I ask this because my course is not in clearing for a uni I was looking at.
Original post by Juuuuh
So are the courses they have listed official or are they subject to change on the day? I ask this because my course is not in clearing for a uni I was looking at.

I think it'll change on the day. If the courses on clearing now fill up then they will no longer be in clearing. Same goes for if a course isn't in clearing now but doesn't fill the places due to missed offers then it may be in clearing..who knows!!
Apologises if this has been asked before but....

If your course is available in clearing, does that mean if you don't meet the expectations (300 points) and get say (260/80) would they be more lenient as it's in clearing and not have enough people?

Thanks
Original post by withlove
Apologises if this has been asked before but....

If your course is available in clearing, does that mean if you don't meet the expectations (300 points) and get say (260/80) would they be more lenient as it's in clearing and not have enough people?

Thanks

Not necessarily. They may be entering clearing with the hope of getting people who missed a 320 or 340 point offer and got 300. You cannot guess what they are thinking, because you have too few facts to work with.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Not necessarily. They may be entering clearing with the hope of getting people who missed a 320 or 340 point offer and got 300. You cannot guess what they are thinking, because you have too few facts to work with.

Oh F never thought of it like that, thanks for the reminder! Worth a shot anyway!
Original post by withlove
Oh F never thought of it like that, thanks for the reminder! Worth a shot anyway!

I don't mean to remove your hope. This year is a very unpredictable one as far as clearing places go because the cap on numbers has been removed and there are probably more places around than before, plus, someone told me the other day, there are fewer 18 year olds this year than usual, so there is less competition. That may well mean that universities may be lenient. I think you should continue to hope. However, as I said, there is nothing anyone can say about anything with any real certainty.
Original post by Juuuuh

They will change on the day - some will come out and some will go into Clearing as the A Level results become known.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending