The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phagocyte1998
A poll to compare average ukcat scores for med/dentistry applicants (2016 entry). I did my ukcat very early and I am interested to know what people are getting. Good luck to all that are yet to take the test :smile:
what was your scores? I am going to do mine next week!
Doing mine in 21 days :wink:
Hoping to mark at least the 700-750 if not 750-800 :biggrin:!!!! We'll see on the 1st of September I guess >.<!!!
Original post by Timewilltellu
what was your scores? I am going to do mine next week!

I got 707.5 average, was reasonably happy but not sure if it's going to be any good this year :') I can only hope
Reply 5
Original post by phagocyte1998
I got 707.5 average, was reasonably happy but not sure if it's going to be any good this year :':wink: I can only hope

Don't worry, sample bias is a thing. People are more likely to post their score online if it's a good one. Just look at last years poll

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=39956

in comparison to last years official deciles

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/Test%20Statistics%20v2.pdf

It's hilarious; only 5.99% of TSR users got a UKCAT score <600, but just over 30% of the entire cohort did. Moreover, if someone is a member of a forum to help with medicine applications, it follows that they are more likely to do better!

Finally, research suggests that people who take the UKCAT earlier do better than those who take it later

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/preparation/test-strategies/ (bullet point 1)

so don't be alarmed by all of these high scores that people are posting. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liam__

Finally, research suggests that people who take the UKCAT earlier do better than those who take it later

Would you say 1st of September is part of this "early" bunch >.>? xD
Reply 7
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Would you say 1st of September is part of this "early" bunch >.>? xD

You're sort of missing the point. You could take it the last day of testing and still do well if you spend a month preparing. What tends to happen is that people quickly take the test last minute without much preparation and therefore do worse (meaning that on average, people that take the test earlier do better). You're at no disadvantage taking the test on 1st September.
I will be applying for graduate entry medicine this year.
I sat the ukcat last week and got 767.5 average, I'm hoping that will be enough for Warwick, and maybe Southampton and Barts
Original post by EssBee_92
I sat the ukcat last week and got 767.5 average, I'm hoping that will be enough for Warwick, and maybe Southampton and Barts

Wowieeee well done :biggrin:!!! Hey a question: when you started out with preparation, were you doing alright or were you like atrocious to begin with and then improved? It's a weird question I know but yeahh haha

No its not at all, but this isn't my first time sitting the UKCAT so I wasn't new to it and I picked it up again relatively quickly. However I remember when I sat UKCAT 4/5 years ago as an undergrad for the first time and I was more than atrocious to begin with I couldn't see any AR patterns, my mental maths was awful but I definitely improved with practice so I wouldn't worry too much if you're not doing too well initially, you should find your speed and accuracy picks up the more practice you do.

No its not at all, but this isn't my first time sitting the UKCAT so I wasn't new to it and I picked it up again relatively quickly. However I remember when I sat UKCAT 4/5 years ago as an undergrad for the first time and I was more than atrocious to begin with I couldn't see any AR patterns, my mental maths was awful but I definitely improved with practice so I wouldn't worry too much if you're not doing too well initially, you should find your speed and accuracy picks up the more practice you do.

Ah okay I see :biggrin:! Thanks that's reassuring haha xD I wish you all the best :smile:
I got 695 average so just within the 650-700 group, hopefully this will be strong enough for my application for this year!
Reply 13
What raw scores are people getting on mock tests? I can barely finish the sections in the time limit
Reply 14

what sort of raw scores were you getting on the section? sitting mine the day before results day and I'm nervous
Original post by 6548412
what sort of raw scores were you getting on the section? sitting mine the day before results day and I'm nervous

I haven't kept track of my raw scores but I was getting about 90% of DA questions correct and 70% correct for QR and AR and I was doing really badly in my medify VR practices (20-40%)

I ended up getting
760 VR :s-smilie:
730 QR
840 AR
740 DA This score really surprised by this because I was getting almost full marks for this section on medify and around 80/90% in the 600Q book so I thought it would be my highest score

I would just focus on finding a technique that works well for you and practise questions with time limits. I don't know how UKCAT scores are worked out but I think its more important to work on timing rather than trying to guess what score your raw score would get you in the actual exam.
Reply 16
Original post by LaurenCocking
I got 695 average so just within the 650-700 group, hopefully this will be strong enough for my application for this year!

I'm in the same boat too! *fingers crossed*
Original post by enaomie
I'm in the same boat too! *fingers crossed*

where are you thinking of applying?:smile:
Reply 18
Original post by LaurenCocking
where are you thinking of applying?:smile:

Leicester and Durham. Not sure about my other two choices yet. You?
Original post by enaomie
Leicester and Durham. Not sure about my other two choices yet. You?

Leicester, Sheffield, HYMS, (Manchester/Leeds/UEA) not sure on the 4th!

Latest

Trending

Trending