The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PupillageAhh
187 FS rejections out post 2nd round.

Sorry to be really needy here but was it email? Gateway style? Was it personalised? Sorry, it's just the waiting is killing me and they'd said they were sticking to the timetable 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LegalPoodle
Sorry to be really needy here but was it email? Gateway style? Was it personalised? Sorry, it's just the waiting is killing me and they'd said they were sticking to the timetable 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we are all pretty needy right now so you are not alone! The waiting is just awful
Original post by Vivalasvegas2015
I think we are all pretty needy right now so you are not alone! The waiting is just awful

I know logically why the offer day is important... But right now I'm finding it very hard to cling to that 😅. It's good to know in not the only one going crazy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3183
I know logically why the offer day is important... But right now I'm finding it very hard to cling to that 😅. It's good to know in not the only one going crazy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going incredibly crazy! One more week guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am literally checking this site multiple times a day to see if anyone mentions one of my sets. I know it is stupid and in fact there is only a week to wait but it is proving impossible. Especially when we know some people have good news already but we do not know which sets
Yeah it was an email from the gateway so maybe if you didn't get it then it may be good news? ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone else struggle with these (usually second round) tasks, that you have to prepare for 15-30 mins when arriving for the interview? I just struggle to give a really good argument.
This is torture. I am 99 per cent sure I'm not going to get Pupillage (I am only waiting on one interview outcome) this time around, but it's that 1 per cent of hope that kills you, isn't it?
Original post by louise_23
Does anyone else struggle with these (usually second round) tasks, that you have to prepare for 15-30 mins when arriving for the interview? I just struggle to give a really good argument.

I have found it quite a step up between first and second rounds. I am pre BPTC and some tasks have been frankly very difficult for me as I have had no exposure to the sort of application I have been asked to do. I have always given it my best attempt but have come away feeling uncertain as to what was expected.
anyone heard from crown office row (brighton) post second round?
Original post by firelady
anyone heard from crown office row (brighton) post second round?

I can say from last year's experience that they really do stick to the timeline. If you get an offer it's likely to be relatively early in the morning and reserves closer to lunch/one-ish.

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just hate the not knowing and as a result wanting to take any small thin as an indication of either a rejection or that there's hope. It's killing me trying not to get my hopes up. It's like my brain doesn't know any form of self-preservation 😣!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can say from last year's experience that they really do stick to the timeline. If you get an offer it's likely to be relatively early in the morning and reserves closer to lunch/one-ish.

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they send post-second round rejections out before the 3rd or were those on the day too?

Yes... I think they are quite a poor reflection of what practice will be like, and I think sets should move to a model of sending you papers in advance.
Original post by firelady
Did they send post-second round rejections out before the 3rd or were those on the day too?

I'm 99% sure they did rejections on offer day. I remember the head of pupillage making a big deal about not violating the timetable at interview (even though they're not gateway) and then that we wouldn't hear anything until offer day irrespective of what the response was (this was in an email post-second round).

I assume they would be of the same mindset this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A week is definitely too long to wait! so tempting to post gratuitous questions here like 'has anyone ever got pupillage even after all their second rounds going really badly' just to make myself feel better, although any answers obviously make absolutely no difference to the outcome which has probably already been decided!!
Original post by baristaboy
A week is definitely too long to wait! so tempting to post gratuitous questions here like 'has anyone ever got pupillage even after all their second rounds going really badly' just to make myself feel better, although any answers obviously make absolutely no difference to the outcome which has probably already been decided!!

Ha are you reading my mind!?
Reply 3197
Original post by baristaboy

One of my second rounds went soo badly it was frightening :tongue:

I doubt it could have gone worse had I jumped over the table and punched the head of chambers.
Original post by Konran
One of my second rounds went soo badly it was frightening :tongue:

I doubt it could have gone worse had I jumped over the table and punched the head of chambers.

non-identifying details please!!!

I had one in which I had to read a judgment before hand and prepare for what I thought would be a general chat about it. got in and they asked me which presentation topic I had prepared...turns out there were two questions I just hadn't read and you were supposed to choose one and do a 5 min presentation! Don't know how I got that so wrong!

If you'd like, you can PM me with what the task was and your answer, and I can do my best to give you some pointers as to the strengths and weaknesses of your response. Bearing in mind of course that my response will be my own view, so certainly shouldn't be taken as the secret to cracking second round pupillage interviews. It should be without saying that my view may well differ from another practising barrister, or anyone who was on your panel, for a whole host of reasons. But at the same time I often find that the biggest issues for candidates with these questions and tasks is the mindset when formulating an answer, so it may be that the feedback I provide could be of some use going forwards.

That offer is extended to anyone who has had any such second round tasks and would like some feedback, incidentally. If you'd prefer to alter some details of the question to anonymise then feel free, but there isn't really any need to.

I was going to suggest starting a thread for that purpose, but if I get more than a handful of people PMing me I may have enough information to offer generic advice as to areas that people may want to look out for when preparing for second round interviews. If I am in such a position I'll just start a thread of my own. And so we're clear, whilst I may well use the specific examples provided to me in PM in such a thread, I won't ever say which Chambers they're from or which member sent me the questions/answers originally, so your anonymity (such as it is on an internet forum anyway) won't be compromised.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending