The Student Room Group

Gamsat 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi, hope everyones revision is going well :smile: With a month to go, i was wondering if the griffins review is worth getting? so far ive used gold standard for S1 and S2 (hate the part for S3!) and using a level revision guides for S3. Going to get acer papers as its almost mandatory. My main reason for wanting to get griffins is as its the closest you can get to a syllabus and theres so much to cover! I know most of it is organic chem? will the acer papers be enough to give an idea of the recurring material? So expensive, im registering for gamsat today!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, how much time should someone spend preparing for the GAMSAT? is it worth registering to take it in September or should I just wait for the next cycle?
Hope everyone's prep is going well.

Out of interest, what does everyone think will happen with the cut-offs?
Hard to get the cut-offs pre-2013 but between 2013 and 2014 most went up a significant amount.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to re-sit in Sept or not. I sat it last Sept and got 62, 69 and 56 so overall 61 (62 using the friendlier weighting).
Notts is my number one choice so I'm bang smack in the middle of uncertaintyland.
Sorry for all the questions, first timer here! Seeing as no calculator is allowed in the exam, does that mean calculations such as rates, Kc etc isnt included in the Chem parts?
Reply 344
Original post by HesMedJim
Hope everyone's prep is going well.

Out of interest, what does everyone think will happen with the cut-offs?
Hard to get the cut-offs pre-2013 but between 2013 and 2014 most went up a significant amount.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to re-sit in Sept or not. I sat it last Sept and got 62, 69 and 56 so overall 61 (62 using the friendlier weighting).
Notts is my number one choice so I'm bang smack in the middle of uncertaintyland.

I think it's very hard to say.

Looking at the Irish percentile curve for 2015 it would suggest a slight increase. But I'm not sure if UK universities factor in Irish GAMSAT results with the UK results.

The 58 I scored in March was about top 27% for 2015 and about top 15-20% for 2014.

Until September results are released with the percent curve and without knowing if the quantity of places has changed for each university it's difficult to speculate.
(edited 8 years ago)
This may be a stupid question but why are there only answers to some of the questions for the ACER sample questions? e.g. in section 1. where can I get the rest of the answers?
Original post by butterscotch_
This may be a stupid question but why are there only answers to some of the questions for the ACER sample questions? e.g. in section 1. where can I get the rest of the answers?

YouTube has talk throughs of all the questions. Just how in which Paper it is. It is the Gold standard videos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello! I'm planning on sitting the GAMSAT Ireland in March next year. Does anyone know if we get given a sheet of formula or do we have to remember them?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Hello! I'm planning on sitting the GAMSAT Ireland in March next year. Does anyone know if we get given a sheet of formula or do we have to remember them?

You have to remember formulas. Sometimes they give you them, but it'll be per question not a formula sheet. Important ones you should know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
YouTube has talk throughs of all the questions. Just how in which Paper it is. It is the Gold standard videos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! but it's only answers for section 3 and not 1? I can't find all the answers to section 1 sample qs
Original post by butterscotch_
Thanks! but it's only answers for section 3 and not 1? I can't find all the answers to section 1 sample qs

Ye I found that annoying too but all the solutions are on YouTube!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to remember formulas. Sometimes they give you them, but it'll be per question not a formula sheet. Important ones you should know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
I guess I'll have to put them all up on my wall :biggrin:
Ye I had sticky notes everywhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353
Original post by MeNerves
Seeing as this is one of the more active GEM threads.

What kind of experience are you all expecting to have at time of application?
Applying from Ireland where there's no requirement for work experience or shadowing for GEM so it's hard to get a clear idea of what's required.

3 weeks of shadowing doctors in 3 different hospitals, a week of shadowing GPs and the odd bit of volunteering at my local hospice. Compared to others it doesn't sound like much. I'll probably try and get a HCA position somewhere if I don't succeed in getting in this year.
Original post by kethan
3 weeks of shadowing doctors in 3 different hospitals, a week of shadowing GPs and the odd bit of volunteering at my local hospice. Compared to others it doesn't sound like much. I'll probably try and get a HCA position somewhere if I don't succeed in getting in this year.

I have 10 months working as an HCA at a GP practice doing clinical and administrative roles. 3 years volunteering in a youth movement with who I ran a summer camp last year for 2 weeks and was in charge of 50 kids and 20 sub leaders. I have weeks here and there of shadowing in hospitals in Manchester and one in London. Though these aren't recent and around 3-5 years ago. I volunteered at a old peoples home for a year when I was 18. I don't know if I can still include that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 10 months working as an HCA at a GP practice doing clinical and administrative roles. 3 years volunteering in a youth movement with who I ran a summer camp last year for 2 weeks and was in charge of 50 kids and 20 sub leaders. I have weeks here and there of shadowing in hospitals in Manchester and one in London. Though these aren't recent and around 3-5 years ago. I volunteered at a old peoples home for a year when I was 18. I don't know if I can still include that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean include it in the personal statement? I don't have place for my work old dated experience (the ones I did younger) so just mentioned in detail what I did recently also popped into the actual work history part of the UCAS the paid part time homecare type stuff (but did not actually go into it in the personal statement just hoping they pick it up from there) its tough with the word count...
Original post by Gazoula
Do you mean include it in the personal statement? I don't have place for my work old dated experience (the ones I did younger) so just mentioned in detail what I did recently also popped into the actual work history part of the UCAS the paid part time homecare type stuff (but did not actually go into it in the personal statement just hoping they pick it up from there) its tough with the word count...

I just mean in general is it still considered valid experience? I do not have space for it so I'll probably focus on the HCA job and volunteering

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just mean in general is it still considered valid experience? I do not have space for it so I'll probably focus on the HCA job and volunteering

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just my personal opinion but if you are in an interview stage and you've gained something valuable from an experience no matter how long ago it would be valid, like you said unless there was something outstanding going in the past -the most recent stuff maybe more relevant for the personal statement.
On the other hand, I also think it shows that you've been thinking about this career for a long time hence have made active choices since you were 18 (not just an overnight though of becoming a doctor) so that could also play nicely? If only we had more space :smile:)
Original post by Gazoula
Just my personal opinion but if you are in an interview stage and you've gained something valuable from an experience no matter how long ago it would be valid, like you said unless there was something outstanding going in the past -the most recent stuff maybe more relevant for the personal statement.
On the other hand, I also think it shows that you've been thinking about this career for a long time hence have made active choices since you were 18 (not just an overnight though of becoming a doctor) so that could also play nicely? If only we had more space :smile:)

Yes I know! But I think I'll leave that for interview if I'm lucky and focus on the more recent stuff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 359
Hey guys! Hope everyones revision is coming along nicely :smile: Decided to go ahead and get the gold standard which is pretty comprehensive and helpful with regards to setting out a curriculum, so if anyone needs any guidance on the depth of knowledge required for S1-3 then let me know and I'd be glad to help.

Since everyones talking about shadows and general entry requirements heres my spiel: graduated in pharmacology with a 1st class (its wicked and I'm not at all trying to rub my ego but as I've gotten a good degree will they be expecting a stronger GAMSAT score or does the higher mark requirement only apply to those with 2:2?). Regarding experience I've got about 3 weeks of hospital, a week in a physio clinic, couple days with a paramedic practitioner, 3 surgeries and 2 days with a GP. I also have been volunteering with the stroke association for about 4 months, am involved with a paeds. heart defect charity my aunt has set up and volunteered at a hospice for 6 months when I was in college plus extracurricular stuff eg long-standing sports and job at Waitrose (sounds silly but retail and medicine are similar from an interpersonal skill POV). Started my personal statement as-well but dont really know if I should mention all my experiences or only the ones that best reflect salient points of why I want to be a medic. I know theres a general GEM 2016 entry thread but you all seem very nice and open to other Q's.

Cheers all, cuts

Quick Reply