The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by junior.doctor
(like changing the units for Hb - what was that all about?!)

I have no clue; I think it was the typical bull**** about standardising with the EU. I've only just graduated and I (and most of my cohort that I've worked with, at least) still use the 'old' Hb units, that change was probably only two years ago.

It seems totally nonsensical given that all they did was literally multiplied the existing units by 10, and that was it. It changed from g/dL to g/L. Why? Because somebody thought it'd be better standardised that way. **** them, tbh.
Original post by Friar Chris
I have no clue; I think it was the typical bull**** about standardising with the EU. I've only just graduated and I (and most of my cohort that I've worked with, at least) still use the 'old' Hb units, that change was probably only two years ago.

It seems totally nonsensical given that all they did was literally multiplied the existing units by 10, and that was it. It changed from g/dL to g/L. Why? Because somebody thought it'd be better standardised that way. **** them, tbh.

Why is it such an issue that they've changed it? Are you similarly peeved about the changes to HbA1c units?

Of course it should be standardised - a value of 19 could be interpretted catestrophically misinterpreted if two clinicians are using different scales...
I thought these were ubiquitous in the NHS these days? Trick is to withdraw the needle enough to have a wiggle but keep that damned 'safety tip' just within the end; though that's easy for me to say having learnt on these admittedly evil contraptions in the first place.

We've got a sort in my trust I've not seen elsewhere. There's not a port on top for flush/meds etc, everything just goes in the back which has an extension you attach to it.

Plus they have a valve which means blood doesn't come out unless you stick something in, so no messy pillows.

I absolutely love them, but do worry that if I go back to the normal type I'll be useless. Blood everywhere, dropping the bung etc.
Original post by hoonosewot
dropping the bung

I lol'd for some reason. Time for bed, perhaps.
Original post by Captain Crash
Why is it such an issue that they've changed it? Are you similarly peeved about the changes to HbA1c units?

Of course it should be standardised - a value of 19 could be interpretted catestrophically misinterpreted if two clinicians are using different scales...

Missing the point totally.

A) She's not an imbecile
B) IT ALREADY WAS STANDARDISED AT g/dL, bewfore interfering ***** got involved.

A) She's not an imbecile

Working in a US-influenced area was a ****ing nightmare due to all the units being different. International standardisation makes sense. For similar reasons I was appalled when Cameron said we're going to keep teaching kids imperial units :facepalm:

For all the arguments you've provided, I'm sure you will be able to deal with it. Next up its urea/creatinine units...
Good luck to all the new house officers shadowing and then starting in 10 days time. I remember my parents dropping me off in accommodation the night before my first day and I was absolutely terrified of starting the next day. I was really apprehensive and I didn't want my parents to leave. haha sounds pathetic when I read that. I was not a very hands on medical student and getting good at basic ward procedures was a really steep learning curve and I'm sure I pissed off a fair few patients, nurses and doctors in the process. It was fine though. It's always fine (I mean generally, not just procedures) and I learnt so much, made so many new friends and developed a passion for medicine that actually wasn't there at medical school. FY1 ended up being the most fun year of my life I'd say and although now I'm counting down the handful of days before I can call myself a first year registrar rather than sho I really miss the camaraderie and togetherness we had in our fy1 group. It's golden and it gets you through. My only advice would be to enjoy it, help eachother and not be a lazy or rude ****.

A) She's not an imbecile

It wasn't standardised - during my medical degree and working since, I have worked at a variety of UK hospitals that used the different units before it was standardised. Not to mention standardisation with the rest of the metric world...
Original post by hoonosewot
We've got a sort in my trust I've not seen elsewhere. There's not a port on top for flush/meds etc, everything just goes in the back which has an extension you attach to it.

Plus they have a valve which means blood doesn't come out unless you stick something in, so no messy pillows.

I absolutely love them, but do worry that if I go back to the normal type I'll be useless. Blood everywhere, dropping the bung etc.

We had these when I was an F1/F2. Then took a year out not doing any cannulas. Now in a trust where they have the normal ones. I was rubbish at first as it took me a while to get back my skills!

I only put grey ones in now anyway :redface:
Woah.

Had an ominous brown envelope delivered to my ward yesterday. Thought it was something to do with non-compliance with my mandatory training.

Found out I've been nominated for 'Employee of the year' here! It's one of 600 nominations so I'm not going to win, but it's made me smile in an otherwise thankless job!
Original post by visesh
Woah.

Had an ominous brown envelope delivered to my ward yesterday. Thought it was something to do with non-compliance with my mandatory training.

Found out I've been nominated for 'Employee of the year' here! It's one of 600 nominations so I'm not going to win, but it's made me smile in an otherwise thankless job!

PRSOM, that's great!

My small victory for the day was being complimented by one of the scariest anaesthetic consultants I've ever worked with. And I only have to do one more case tomorrow to get my module signed off - fingers crossed there are ICU beds!
Original post by fishfacesimpson
Good luck to all the new house officers shadowing and then starting in 10 days time. I remember my parents dropping me off in accommodation the night before my first day and I was absolutely terrified of starting the next day. I was really apprehensive and I didn't want my parents to leave. haha sounds pathetic when I read that. I was not a very hands on medical student and getting good at basic ward procedures was a really steep learning curve and I'm sure I pissed off a fair few patients, nurses and doctors in the process. It was fine though. It's always fine (I mean generally, not just procedures) and I learnt so much, made so many new friends and developed a passion for medicine that actually wasn't there at medical school. FY1 ended up being the most fun year of my life I'd say and although now I'm counting down the handful of days before I can call myself a first year registrar rather than sho I really miss the camaraderie and togetherness we had in our fy1 group. It's golden and it gets you through. My only advice would be to enjoy it, help eachother and not be a lazy or rude ****.

Thank you for this. I have been terrified for the last few weeks (accentuated by the people who say how s*** F1 is) but arrived a few days ago and everyone is LOVELY (staff and other F1s) and I cant wait to start. Fully appreciated how rubbish im going to be over the next few weeks but I cant wait for the time I feel more confident and able to do the job!
I've never had any juniors. Ever. I want F1s! (I'm nice honest).
Original post by Sarky
I've never had any juniors. Ever. I want F1s! (I'm nice honest).

I only had them for 3 months as an F2, which barely counted. I think I will get some next week, but they won't be F1s. And I'm pretty nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably shouldn't be too noisy about where I am as it would make it incredibly easy to figure out who I am, but I think I've really landed on my feet here. Everyone is just so damned nice! The consultants are lovely, the regs are friendly and my firm has ANPs who essentially do the work of an extra F1 combined with the experience of somebody who has worked in this specialty for a long time. Really demonstrates what a well lead unit with a positive culture looks like.
How's everyone's shadowing going?
Original post by Medicine Man
How's everyone's shadowing going?

I literally don't know how the FY1 can remember 30 patients, let alone why they're in hospital, what xyz investigation was and what the plan is.
I am feeling really sorry for the shadowing F1s at my hospital. They are currently reworking the whole rota for medicine/elderly/surgery and a lot of the Core trainees, Registrars and consultants are really quite angry about it. Very heated discussions keep happening over lunch in the mess and some of them look like they are going to cry. I have to keep giving them reassuring smiles and telling them that it is a lovely hospital and that it will all be fine :frown:
Original post by Etomidate
I literally don't know how the FY1 can remember 30 patients, let alone why they're in hospital, what xyz investigation was and what the plan is.

That is literally their job. Not much more to it unfortunately!! The actual medicine is pretty simple.

TFIC. Well, sort of.
The consultant surgeon admired my knot-tying skills today. That is possibly one of the highlights of this current attachment. :proud:

Latest