The Student Room Group

The Sony Playstation Society V

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GuppyFox
I've tried it 3 times on PS3, PS Vita and PS4, it just never clicked with me!

Original post by somemightsay888
Same, it just felt aimless and boring to me :dontknow:

Do you guys enjoy any 'Metroidvanias'? As the very best recent example, Axiom Verge is superb.
Original post by Illusionary
Do you guys enjoy any 'Metroidvanias'? As the very best recent example, Axiom Verge is superb.

I liked Castlevania and I liked the Original Metroid games, I tried Axiom Verge only a few days ago and I just didn't like it :dontknow: I'm sick of 8 bit art styles as well, Axiom Verge is really ugly even for its style imo
I liked Castlevania and I liked the Original Metroid games, I tried Axiom Verge only a few days ago and I just didn't like it :dontknow: I'm sick of 8 bit art styles as well, Axiom Verge is really ugly even for its style imo

Sorry to hear you feel that way - you're *badly* missing out on this one.

In regards to the recurring 8-bit NES style, I do agree its grown tiresome. It worked very well in Retro City Rampage mind you. Not sure why. but we rarely ever see indie games that are throwbacks to other well known 8-bit consoles C64, Master System, Game Boy & Gear, or Atari which is a pity.
I think indie devs should shift up to the 16-bit MegaDrive/Amiga/TurboGrafx styles instead.
Original post by noggins
In regards to the recurring 8-bit NES style, I do agree its grown tiresome. It worked very well in Retro City Rampage mind you. Not sure why. but we rarely ever see indie games that are throwbacks to other well known 8-bit consoles C64, Master System, Game Boy & Gear, or Atari which is a pity.
I think indie devs should shift up to the 16-bit MegaDrive/Amiga/TurboGrafx styles instead.

I totally agree, 16bit art is timeless and I love the bright punchy colours of some of the SNES especially, I think the "let's appeal to their nostalgia" has gotten a bit dry now, seems every indie game coming out is yet another 16 bit title
being able to vote on PSN+ games is good

Does apotheon count?

I need metroid sometime, but on the 3DS i'm rather limited for options on that!
Does apotheon count?

I need metroid sometime, but on the 3DS i'm rather limited for options on that!

Yep, though Axiom Verge is a much better game, and much purer example of the genre. Try not to let the art style put you off if you can - and in this case, it was a deliberate choice to fit with Metroid's legacy.

As for 3DS based options, get yourself a copy of the the Castlevania games for the original DS - they should keep you busy for a good while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's hard for me to feel like playing the majority of what PSN+ puts out. I just don't enjoy playing the indie games. I've been gaming since the NES era, but it's in the past. I prefer playing more modern games now.

That being said, I do enjoy playing Rocket League with friends. It's not really an old school indie game, so I think that's why I like it. I can't take it that seriously, because some of the goals you score/concede and laughable, but it's good fun.
Recently got a PS4
Currently playing
Bloodborne (honestly one of the best, most satisfying games I've ever played)
The Last of Us remastered (pretty awesome story and characters especially ellie and joel <3)
The Witcher 3
Rocket League
Blacklight
Planet Side 2- barely touched it
Warframe (15mins)

If anyone would be interested in playing Rocket League, Bloodborne, TLOU remastered or Blacklight lemme know.

Will probably be get MGSV the Phantom Pain come September. Then probably Fallout 4, Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4 , FFXV in the foreseeable future.
And a popular online AAA title or two depending on reviews. Something like the division or star wars battlefield, I mean battlefront.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yep, though Axiom Verge is a much better game, and much purer example of the genre. Try not to let the art style put you off if you can - and in this case, it was a deliberate choice to fit with Metroid's legacy.

As for 3DS based options, get yourself a copy of the the Castlevania games for the original DS - they should keep you busy for a good while.

Thanks, I'll put them on the to-buy list!

Original post by FatherTime
Recently got a PS4
Currently playing
Bloodborne (honestly one of the best, most satisfying games I've ever played)
The Last of Us remastered (pretty awesome story and characters especially ellie and joel <3)
The Witcher 3
Rocket League
Blacklight
Planet Side 2- barely touched it
Warframe (15mins)

If anyone would be interested in playing Rocket League, Bloodborne, TLOU remastered or Blacklight lemme know.

Will probably be get MGSV the Phantom Pain come September. Then probably Fallout 4, Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4 , FFXV in the foreseeable future.
And a popular online AAA title or two depending on reviews. Something like the division or star wars battlefield, I mean battlefront.

What's bloodborne like? I have heard it's hard but is it 'this is getting boring' hard, hotline miami -style 'but that's what makes it fun' hard, or something else?

Wish there was a demo for it :angry:
Thanks, I'll put them on the to-buy list!

What's bloodborne like? I have heard it's hard but is it 'this is getting boring' hard, hotline miami -style 'but that's what makes it fun' hard, or something else?

Wish there was a demo for it :angry:

Bloodborne is great, I'd recommend going out on a limb and getting it. It's honestly going to be the most challenging and satisfying experience you've had in a while.

I'd say, 'but that's what makes it fun' hard. With Bloodborne, you have to come to terms with death, you will die a lot. Dying is a punishment I suppose (you lose your in-game currency, although you can retrieve it) but also a game mechanic.
When you first start the game, you literally have to die to really progress.When you die, you respawn. There is no manual checkpoint or save system, you can't pause the game (just go to a safe area). Accessing the inventory is in real time like in TLOU.

Anyway game difficulty. It's hard, and you will die a lot. But it never feels artificially hard or just plain impossible, you don't need to some sort of pro gamer to progress and finish the game I feel.
Pretty much every death is there to learn from. I think the best way to explain it is to describe some encounters. Every time I died, I didn't think my death was unfair or cheap. Every time I died, I died because of a mistake I made.

So when I first got my weapon, I encountered a mob. Basically the lowest level enemy and just tried to spam attack (R1). I died. Big mistake. I ran out of stamina, so there was a point when I couldn't attack or dodge. I just got comboed.

But that's because I was playing the game wrong. You sort of have to forget everything you've learn playing skyrim or whatever.You have to play more carefully and smart. You have to dodge, roll. Keep an eye on your stamina, since attacking, dodging, rolling depreciates your stamina. Without stamina, you can't attack or dodge.

So 2nd time round, I waited for the mob to attack. Dodged to the side, attacked 3 times. Done, easy.
Kept on going, was ambushed and died. But 2nd time round, I knew what to expect, so it was easy.

When I faced this giant executioner the first time. I nearly killed it, but it used this attack which I wasn't expecting, I was too close.I died once more after. But by the third time, I was a lot more cautious. I knew each attack's pattern. So I knew whether I should roll back. Or dodge sideways to try to get behind it for a back stab. I also leant it was weak to fire. After that, it was pretty easy to beat. If you have PSN+ and play online. You can see the notes other players have left to help you (sometimes screw you over).
First (optional) boss was similar. Beat on my third try. After I learnt it was weak to fire. I prepped a lot of molotov cocktails. With patience, caution and timing. It was easy.

To conclude, it's challenging. But very satisfying at the same time. Basically forget everything AAA like skyrim, AC series etc have taught you. You can't just spam the attack button here. Don't be afraid to die. Learn from each encounter. Learn enemy hiding spots, learn attack patterns (they don't use the same attacks in the same order, but be able to recognise when the enemy is about to charge, or start a 5 swing combo, etc. ), keep an eye on your stamina, learn to counter, be cautious.
Learn enemy weaknesses. Learning patterns also helps you when you want to counter attack for massive damage. Once you do that, the game really isn't that hard. And as you level up, it also gets easier. Since you hit more etc, you can kind afford to be a bit more careless with the earlier enemies. If you ever get really stuck, Youtube is there as well, or you can call for help via online or AI (offline) co-op.

Get it, you won't regret it. If you want something challenging and really satisfying. This is it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FatherTime
Bloodborne is great, I'd recommend going out on a limb and getting it. It's honestly going to be the most challenging and satisfying experience you've had in a while.

I'd say, 'but that's what makes it fun' hard. With Bloodborne, you have to come to terms with death, you will die a lot. Dying is a punishment I suppose (you lose your in-game currency, although you can retrieve it) but also a game mechanic.
When you first start the game, you literally have to die to really progress.When you die, you respawn. There is no manual checkpoint or save system, you can't pause the game (just go to a safe area). Accessing the inventory is in real time like in TLOU.

Anyway game difficulty. It's hard, and you will die a lot. But it never feels artificially hard or just plain impossible, you don't need to some sort of pro gamer to progress and finish the game I feel.
Pretty much every death is there to learn from. I think the best way to explain it is to describe some encounters. Every time I died, I didn't think my death was unfair or cheap. Every time I died, I died because of a mistake I made.

So when I first got my weapon, I encountered a mob. Basically the lowest level enemy and just tried to spam attack (R1). I died. Big mistake. I ran out of stamina, so there was a point when I couldn't attack or dodge. I just got comboed.

But that's because I was playing the game wrong. You sort of have to forget everything you've learn playing skyrim or whatever.You have to play more carefully and smart. You have to dodge, roll. Keep an eye on your stamina, since attacking, dodging, rolling depreciates your stamina. Without stamina, you can't attack or dodge.

So 2nd time round, I waited for the mob to attack. Dodged to the side attack 3 times. Done, easy.
Kept on going, was ambushed and died. But 2nd time round, I knew what to expect, so it was easy.

When I faced this giant executioner the first time. I nearly killed it, but it used this attack which I wasn't expecting, I was too close.I died once more after. But by the third time, I was a lot more cautious. I knew each attack's pattern. So I knew whether I should roll back. Or dodge sideways to try to get behind it for a back stab. I also leant it was weak to fire. After that, it was pretty easy to beat. If you have PSN+ and play online. You can see the notes other players have left to help you (sometimes screw you over).
First (optional) boss was similar. Beat on my third try. After I learnt it was weak to fire. I prepped a lot of molotov cocktails. With patience, caution and timing. It was easy.

To conclude, it's challenging. But very satisfying at the same time. Basically forget everything AAA like skyrim, AC series etc have taught you. Don't be afraid to die. Learn from each encounter. Learn enemy hiding spots, learn attack patterns (they don't use the same attacks in the same order, but be able to recognise when the enemy is about to charge, or start a 5 swing combo, etc. ), keep an eye on your stamina, learn to counter, be cautious.
Learn enemy weaknesses. Learning patterns also helps you when you want to counter attack for massive damage. Once you do that, the game really isn't that hard. And as you level up, it also gets easier. Since you hit more etc, you can kind afford to be a bit more careless with the earlier enemies.

Get it, you won't regret it. If you want something challenging and really satisfying. This is it.

Thanks, that does sound like it is rewarding, the way you explained it makes it sounds like a 3D version of Shovel Knight - particularly the boss battles in it! I'll give it a go sometime soon, sounds like I'll a good chunk of time to play it in though so I'll wait a few weeks :smile:
Thanks, that does sound like it is rewarding, the way you explained it makes it sounds like a 3D version of Shovel Knight - particularly the boss battles in it! I'll give it a go sometime soon, sounds like I'll a good chunk of time to play it in though so I'll wait a few weeks :smile:

Both the encounters I mentioned are in this video. It's how the game should be played. You can see it's not that bad if you play it right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXnzMFZTkY

Here is another video on the same encounter. https://youtu.be/3_ecYwibY8A?t=971
The guy dies, the first time round. His mistake was trying to take it head on. Got too close.

It will definitely take time to play through.
Anyone here that plays battlefield 4? Would you say that buying premium is worth it?
Reply 595
One trophy away from my second platinum. Just need the Far Far away trophy from Rocket League. It was glitched so you would only need to travel 50-80km to unlock it (trophy requires 500), but now it seems the glitch has been fixed from one or two posts I have read. Might have to use the rubber band technique for this one :frown:
Reply 596
Just got my second platinum :biggrin:

Anyone played the Lara Croft game from PS Plus this month?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
Just got my second platinum :biggrin:

Anyone played the Lara Croft game from PS Plus this month?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats :yep:

Yep, I have the collectors edition, though not to far into it just yet. What I've played was pretty good though - it's much like the earlier game if you know anything of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone looking forward to the pes 16 demo coming out next week. Surprising how it comes out on the same day as A-level results come out
Original post by Hectors
Anyone here that plays battlefield 4? Would you say that buying premium is worth it?

I've got BF4 but not premium, waiting to see if it ends up in the Summer Sale. But yes, it's well worth it as you get a load of maps and exclusive guns, and the base maps kinda get dull quick

Quick Reply

Latest