The Student Room Group

RAF Minimum service?

Hi, I've read several different things now. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
Yes. They do have minimum service. No need to thank me for my answer. I'm just glad to help.
Reply 2
Original post by !!mentor!!
Yes. They do have minimum service. No need to thank me for my answer. I'm just glad to help.

10/10 thank you. You've solved all of my life's dilemmas and problems.
Reply 3
I went to a speaking about joining the RAF and the minimum time varies depending on what you're doing.
If you plan to be a pilot it's a long because they have to spend a lot of money on training you, and obviously they don't want that investment to go to waste, however very few people get selected to be a pilot.
If you want to be a medic however they will pay for your university education and you only have to serve for about 2-4 years.
I'm not sure about any other area, sorry, hope I helped a bit.
Reply 4
Original post by kate37
I went to a speaking about joining the RAF and the minimum time varies depending on what you're doing.
If you plan to be a pilot it's a long because they have to spend a lot of money on training you, and obviously they don't want that investment to go to waste, however very few people get selected to be a pilot.
If you want to be a medic however they will pay for your university education and you only have to serve for about 2-4 years.
I'm not sure about any other area, sorry, hope I helped a bit.

Very helpful, thank you :smile:
I believe most ground crew can leave after 4 years. However the initial term of service is 12 years or to the age of 40. But then if you get promoted that can change as well. Best bet, speak to the AFCO about the role you want also try out Facebook and Twitter RAF pages, send them a message I have always found them to be very helpful.
Reply 6
I Just sat my aptitude test last week and for airman/ airwomen roles its a minimum sign on for 12 years.
However if you are under the age of 18 you can leave whenever you like until after you turn 18.
Original post by scottK
I Just sat my aptitude test last week and for airman/ airwomen roles its a minimum sign on for 12 years.
However if you are under the age of 18 you can leave whenever you like until after you turn 18.

That's not the 'minimum sign on'. You are offered an initial engagement of 12 years, like a job contract. They are offering to employ you for 12 years.

What everyone is discussing in here is what we call "return of service", i.e if it takes the RAF 2 years to train someone they aren't going to let you leave straight away. They want lets say 3 years of you serving after training before you can leave.

The more difficult and expensive the role/training the longer that return of service tends to be.

Quick Reply

Latest