The Student Room Group

Healthy New You: Your Change For Life #3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
It's not your metabolism.I study biomedical sciences, it is a myth. If you are underweight it is because in average you eat less than yiu need and vice versa for those overweight.

Wow, my biology teacher lied to me :frown: Thanks for the help though :smile:
Original post by MrMackyTv
Wow, my biology teacher lied to me :frown: Thanks for the help though :smile:

Chances are he tried to simplify it as best he could to help you understand it, but in doing so just confused you further. It is true that people have differing metabolisms. For example a 6ft man will have a higher metabolism than you, meaning he will need to eat more calories to sustain his weight than you. But the idea that your metabolism stops you from gaining or losing weight is not grounded in fact, it's pure nonsense.
as soon as i start calorie counting, it goes to the other extreme :frown: not been over 700 cals these last 3 days and although my goal is 1200 and i wouldn't mind eating that much, i can never find the middle! anyone else having these problems and I'm worried because i want this weight loss to be sustainable and healthy
Original post by rachel6914
as soon as i start calorie counting, it goes to the other extreme :frown: not been over 700 cals these last 3 days and although my goal is 1200 and i wouldn't mind eating that much, i can never find the middle! anyone else having these problems and I'm worried because i want this weight loss to be sustainable and healthy

The opposite tbf. My goal is 1450 but I'm eating more like 1700 on average. It's still a deficit but I'm hoping to stay within my limit today. I would suggest planning your day's food intake before hand to make sure you reach 1200 minimum because 700 is way too low. Maybe buy something like a protein bar which are high in calories and eat it in the evening to make up calories if you haven't reached 1200 for a particular day.
This probably sounds stupid as I have lost weight and things are going well, but I'm struggling to motivate myself. I've lost ten pounds in the last few weeks but I just can't see any difference in myself. I caught sight of myself in a shop window and I still have a huge bum and thighs, and my belly still sticks out. I've lost almost 10% of my weight and nothing has changed. Ugh.

Words of inspiration please you lovely people? :puppyeyes:
Original post by PangXie
This probably sounds stupid as I have lost weight and things are going well, but I'm struggling to motivate myself. I've lost ten pounds in the last few weeks but I just can't see any difference in myself. I caught sight of myself in a shop window and I still have a huge bum and thighs, and my belly still sticks out. I've lost almost 10% of my weight and nothing has changed. Ugh.

In the same position, a stone down and literally feel no different. BMI encouraged me as i moved from overweight to a healthy weight though, and just thinking that if i can't see it yet, ill just have to work harder to see a change is what is getting me through

:smile:
Original post by rachel6914
In the same position, a stone down and literally feel no different. BMI encouraged me as i moved from overweight to a healthy weight though, and just thinking that if i can't see it yet, ill just have to work harder to see a change is what is getting me through

:smile:

Ah well done you for losing a whole stone! Hopefully I'll be there soon too.

That does help, thank you :h: We just have to keep on plugging away I suppose! What's your goal weight?
Original post by PangXie

That does help, thank you :h: We just have to keep on plugging away I suppose! What's your goal weight?

Just keep going. I know how you feel though, it is really difficult to see the bigger picture. I have lost around 6.5 stone over the last 18 months and I still have a little way to go. It's difficult when you work hard and are still not where you want to be. Just keep in your mind what you are aiming for but celebrate everything you have already achieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Just keep going. I know how you feel though, it is really difficult to see the bigger picture. I have lost around 6.5 stone over the last 18 months and I still have a little way to go. It's difficult when you work hard and are still not where you want to be. Just keep in your mind what you are aiming for but celebrate everything you have already achieved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, that's amazing! I'm a big loser too (heh :tongue:) but I've been maintaining for the past couple of years so I feel as if I'm starting fresh. In two pounds I'll weigh the least I've ever weighed as an adult! :woo:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PangXie

started at 165lbs, now at at 150 and aiming for 135, so i'm halfway there :smile:
Anyone have any good tips for weight loss? I've been doing MFP, tried losing so many times before but this time I've set MFP to lose 1lb a week instead of 2 so I stick to it better. I've been having smoothies for breakfast as I never used to have breakfast and aren't a fan of eating in the morning, so that's a start. I've stopped snacking on bad food too which I think will make a huge difference. Also any forms of exercise people find particularly fun/easy to fit around Uni?
Original post by PangXie

That's really great - a lot of progress. Bear in mind that it often takes longer for you to see your progress than other people, per say. You're doing really well! :yep:

It might be a good idea to use a variety of ways to measure your progress, like instead of just using the scales, also take measurements with a tape measure and use how your clothes are fitting as a guide too. Then you can get a fuller picture of your progress.

For instance up until recently I was only using the scales and getting upset because despite all my hard work, I hadn't lost a single kilo. My sister advised me to do what I am advising you and it really helped - I had lost inches and my clothes fit much better and some were loose. :biggrin: So I could infer that I had lost fat but at the same time gained lean muscle mass, so the weight gains and losses cancelled out. :smile:
Original post by rachiriot
Anyone have any good tips for weight loss? I've been doing MFP, tried losing so many times before but this time I've set MFP to lose 1lb a week instead of 2 so I stick to it better. I've been having smoothies for breakfast as I never used to have breakfast and aren't a fan of eating in the morning, so that's a start. I've stopped snacking on bad food too which I think will make a huge difference. Also any forms of exercise people find particularly fun/easy to fit around Uni?

I quite like to run as it can be pretty flexible. Also dancing in your room is a fun way to get some exercise and you can do it whenever. :smile:
Original post by rachiriot

I really enjoy cycling. It can double as commuting too so really easy to fit around things :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feeling really blue. Hard to get motivated at the moment. I miss the summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lost 31lb in the last quarter. More than 20% from peak to goal.
I've just hit body fat percentage of 17 and I feel amazing. Seriously. I feel better than I've ever felt before.

The problem is, my parents are concerned that I'm losing weight and starting to look "too skinny". I keep insisting that I work out to be fit and stay healthy, but they keep insisting that I look severely unhealthy now. They don't see that I've become stronger and more confident about my body and want me to stop running everyday mornings until I look more "normal".

I hope I can get past this soon and back on track.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys!! I'm doing a research project on what food people buy / cook and their opinions of shopping in Sainsbury's. If you could throw out some thoughts on this I would be really grateful! Thanks,
J
I miss this thread :moon:
Original post by Slowbro93
I miss this thread :moon:

Let's restart it! What do you guys like cooking???

Quick Reply

Latest