The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I passed my driving test yesterday which was my fourth attempt and was such a relief.I am moving to another city in the meantime. How can i change my address so my driving licence is posted to my new address rather the one on my provisional licence.Has anybody encountered this issue before?? Any help is appreciated :smile:
Original post by osman farooq
I passed my driving test yesterday which was my fourth attempt and was such a relief.I am moving to another city in the meantime. How can i change my address so my driving licence is posted to my new address rather the one on my provisional licence.Has anybody encountered this issue before?? Any help is appreciated :smile:

When you done your test did the examiner not ask if your address is still the same at the beginning? Maybe if you call dvla up they can sort it for you?
I found a cancellation in the end and have my test tomorrow morning at 8.40 which is great for me. Don't like waiting around for something I'm so anxious for. I'm not even nervous like I have been previous times, hadn't even been able to eat properly before!

It's strange as I'm fairly confident in the sense that I believe in my driving but I can't envision the person marking me saying I've passed at the end, as I'm just used to hearing "unfortunately....". I keep getting caught by small things which probably makes me believe the test to be harder than it is. I think I'd be more confident had I failed by something really obvious each time.
Original post by Shorty94
I'm curious, what test were you taking? And what's the taxi manoeuvre?

It was the L Test. The Taxi manoeuvre is basically a turn in the road but you do it in the mouth of a T junction so you have additional hazards including having to be careful that you will not cause a problem to people turning into the smaller road as many people assume the junction will be clear and turn in whilst you are doing it. The aim of doing the junction mouth is to turn the car in one movement as well.
Original post by ajspurs
I found a cancellation in the end and have my test tomorrow morning at 8.40 which is great for me. Don't like waiting around for something I'm so anxious for. I'm not even nervous like I have been previous times, hadn't even been able to eat properly before!

It's strange as I'm fairly confident in the sense that I believe in my driving but I can't envision the person marking me saying I've passed at the end, as I'm just used to hearing "unfortunately....". I keep getting caught by small things which probably makes me believe the test to be harder than it is. I think I'd be more confident had I failed by something really obvious each time.

Good luck! I feel the same. 4th time lucky though... I found a cancellation for 2nd Sept which is only around a month away now so not too bad but I still wan't an earlier date.

Anyway let us know how you get on!
Hi peeps!
I passed today on my 4th attempt! Worst driving I've ever done! :colondollar: Yet I passed? Doesn't make sense :colondollar: ah well, don't give up! Keep going! You'll be so relieved hearing "I'm pleased to say you've passed"! Good luck to everyone taking their test soon :smile:
Original post by nyancats
Good luck! I feel the same. 4th time lucky though... I found a cancellation for 2nd Sept which is only around a month away now so not too bad but I still wan't an earlier date.

Anyway let us know how you get on!

Thanks :colondollar: Yeah hopefully! Yeah you should get one earlier really, I ended up buying a test cancellation notifier so got a text message when there was a cancellation.

And I will do, hopefully with good news.
Original post by ajspurs
Thanks :colondollar: Yeah hopefully! Yeah you should get one earlier really, I ended up buying a test cancellation notifier so got a text message when there was a cancellation.

And I will do, hopefully with good news.

Yeah I'm using a free trial of one of those services. It's been quite handy. Good luck again!
Original post by Samuelcd
Hi everyone. Failed my first test on thursday with 6 minors and 1 dangerous. Was completely gutted as I felt quite confident and actually managed to control my nerves during the test.

The reason I failed is quite complicated. I was going up a hill which bends at the top, and has parked cars both sides as you approach this brow. I saw a van coming my way just before the parked cars, and so I pulled over to the left to give way. Problem was, I pulled over into a parking space and was so close to the curb that it looked as if I too was parked. The van came and went, and in the heat of the moment I was more focused on my hillstart than signalling right. I did see the car coming up behind me but misjudged its speed, and because I didn't signal it went straight to try and overtake me as I pulled out. Examiner slams the breaks, I instantly know I failed. Not gonna argue it.

The examiner was actually pretty nice, he let me off for a lot of minors. I especially thought I was a tad far from the kerb in my parallel park but he didn't put anything down for it. Does anybody know if after a serious fault such as much that guarantees a fail, the examiner doesn't bother marking minors on the sheet anymore? It happened about 20 mins in.

I went straight on the DVSA website the second I got back and found a cancellation for the 15th August. Very glad, as next available one is not until mid September!

One question I have for everyone, is how did you deal with the money issue. I have read some of this thread and rarely see many people worrying about it. It is all well and good to say "try again", but when it is over £100 a go it isn't as easy. I've already spent over £1000 on lessons and if I fail again it will be another huge chunk out of my bank. Any thoughts?

With the money I felt the same way but then I started to think about it in a different way. You've spent all of this money (and time) to learn now and if you take a long break because of the money it may cost you more than £100 to get back into driving and you would still need to cover the cost of your test
Reply 4889
I passed my test on my second attempt today!! :biggrin:

I did pretty well for most of it (got marked down for hesitating a few times - but I figured I would rather be marked down for that, than risk pulling out too soon) and almost failed for driving too close to parked cars. However my examiner was lovely and decided to give me the benefit of the doubt because the rest had been good! He gave me a lecture at the end about all the things that I had done wrong, and I was sure that I had failed. I would take a lecture any day of the week if it meant that I passed. I'll be honest I had to hold back tears when I saw him pull out the pass certificate.

Good luck to everyone still to take their test - you can do it!
Original post by Frail
I passed my test on my second attempt today!! :biggrin:

I did pretty well for most of it (got marked down for hesitating a few times - but I figured I would rather be marked down for that, than risk pulling out too soon) and almost failed for driving too close to parked cars. However my examiner was lovely and decided to give me the benefit of the doubt because the rest had been good! He gave me a lecture at the end about all the things that I had done wrong, and I was sure that I had failed. I would take a lecture any day of the week if it meant that I passed. I'll be honest I had to hold back tears when I saw him pull out the pass certificate.

Good luck to everyone still to take their test - you can do it!

Well done! I have mine on Wednesday morning - I pick up really silly minors in mocks such as the odd overarm steer and occasionally a hesitation fault too. But you're absolutely right, much rather be safe and stop than fail by pulling out in front of someone.
Right, I thought I'd post on here and share my driving test experiences and provide some advice for those that are nervous/panicking about theirs.

I passed about 2 weeks ago on my 3rd attempt with 2 minors. (2 tests with one instructor and then I changed to another and passed straight away).

I failed my first test for panicking coming off a roundabout in the right lane and trying to move over to the left when there was a car there (eek awful I know) and the examiner had to grab the wheel. I was so so nervous for this and had such shaky legs on the pedals it was awful.

Second time round I failed for my following distance being less that two seconds on a dual carriageway. Again my nerves got the better of me and I was more focused on achieving the speed limit than my following distance but hey ho.

After my fails I felt that my instructor was not helping me to progress and address these issues so I changed. Anyway, the point I'm trying to get to is DONT go in for your test if you feel in your gut that you are not 100% ready. The nerves on the day will more than likely get the better of you. Also, I would say, if you feel that you are not making any progress with your instructor or you feel they are genuinely just helping you to drive not actually teaching you how to drive properly. Of course everyone wants to pass their driving test but, once on your own out of the comfortable situations you will genuinely struggle.

My second main point of advice is, although obvious, be confident. I know on the day this is hard to do as nerves are rife and that pink license is in sight but honestly, you can drive, you wouldn't be in for a test unless you were ready and your instructor thought you were perfectly capable. I feel that what worked for me was not counting down the days to it like some, but focusing on each lesson prior one at a time and working on mistakes from the last one in the next.

Honestly, it is not the be all and end all failing your driving test, although it may seem like it at the time. Have some confidence in yourself and your abilities and everything will fall in to place. The examiners want the best for you too they are not your enemy (except for when they pick you up on picky little things).

Anyway rant over, congrats to those that have passed and good luck to those with their tests in the future.
Yeah I'm using a free trial of one of those services. It's been quite handy. Good luck again!

Thank you very much :smile: I passed this morning! :biggrin:

Funnily enough, for practically the whole test I thought I'd failed as I did something that I actually failed for on a previous test. The person marking me was really nice though and it just goes to show that sometimes you really do need that bit of luck. I think if I had that same person for 2 of my 3 previous times I would have passed. Crazy.
Original post by ajspurs
Thank you very much :smile: I passed this morning! :biggrin:

Funnily enough, for practically the whole test I thought I'd failed as I did something that I actually failed for on a previous test. The person marking me was really nice though and it just goes to show that sometimes you really do need that bit of luck. I think if I had that same person for 2 of my 3 previous times I would have passed. Crazy.

Well done! :biggrin: What maneuver did you get?
Well done! :biggrin: What maneuver did you get?

I got reverse around the corner. In my first test I had parallel park, second test turn in the road, third test reverse around the corner and the same this morning in my 4th. I'd done all of them really well and I'm not even really confident with manoeuvre's but I just find them quite easy when you really take your time. I also had an emergency stop and it was at that point that I thought maybe I hadn't failed as I was thinking why would he bother with it if I had!
Original post by ajspurs

I got reverse around the corner. In my first test I had parallel park, second test turn in the road, third test reverse around the corner and the same this morning in my 4th. I'd done all of them really well and I'm not even really confident with manoeuvre's but I just find them quite easy when you really take your time. I also had an emergency stop and it was at that point that I thought maybe I hadn't failed as I was thinking why would he bother with it if I had!

Well done! I absolutely hate that manoeuvre, I had parallel park 1st time, turn in the road 2nd time, reverse park 3rd time and I feel like it will be reverse around the corner this time (especially as I've had the same guy every time for my test)

What advice would you give for doing it? I'm going out in my car to practice it tonight, because I just have a feeling it will be that one on my test and I feel least confident about it!
Well done! I absolutely hate that manoeuvre, I had parallel park 1st time, turn in the road 2nd time, reverse park 3rd time and I feel like it will be reverse around the corner this time (especially as I've had the same guy every time for my test)

What advice would you give for doing it? I'm going out in my car to practice it tonight, because I just have a feeling it will be that one on my test and I feel least confident about it!

Around the corner is my least favourite too! Two things helped me. One, I know I said it but go slow, really slow if you have to. My instructor told me to look out of the back more, but as you're going round and straightening up afterwards, I personally found it easier to look in the mirror more as otherwise I have no idea how close my car is to the curb, I can't see the curb when I look out of the back. As you're going really slow you can adjust the steering with plenty of time, turn the wheel left more if you're too wide or right if you need to have more width.

2nd thing that helped me was one of these, is really good for improving your view! I had one in my instructors car but took the test in my car and bought them from halfords to put on it, they're great. They go on your wing mirror.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/car-accessories/interior-car-accessories/summit-blind-spot-car-mirror

Original post by ajspurs
Around the corner is my least favourite too! Two things helped me. One, I know I said it but go slow, really slow if you have to. My instructor told me to look out of the back more, but as you're going round and straightening up afterwards, I personally found it easier to look in the mirror more as otherwise I have no idea how close my car is to the curb, I can't see the curb when I look out of the back. As you're going really slow you can adjust the steering with plenty of time, turn the wheel left more if you're too wide or right if you need to have more width.

2nd thing that helped me was one of these, is really good for improving your view! I had one in my instructors car but took the test in my car and bought them from halfords to put on it, they're great. They go on your wing mirror.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/car-accessories/interior-car-accessories/summit-blind-spot-car-mirror

Thank you! I think my main problems are

A) Not really knowing when to straighten up (and apparently I put my steer on too late as well) ha!! hate this one.
B) The amount of steer I put on - my instructor's been saying "put three quarters on" or something and I just get really confused and then take too much off etc. I just watched a helpful video on youtube though about learning to do it in full turns to begin with. I think I might try that as it will stop the confusion.

I just really feel like if it's the same examiner I will have to do it, so I want to get confident!
Thank you! I think my main problems are

A) Not really knowing when to straighten up (and apparently I put my steer on too late as well) ha!! hate this one.
B) The amount of steer I put on - my instructor's been saying "put three quarters on" or something and I just get really confused and then take too much off etc. I just watched a helpful video on youtube though about learning to do it in full turns to begin with. I think I might try that as it will stop the confusion.

I just really feel like if it's the same examiner I will have to do it, so I want to get confident!

It's ok :smile: I looked at youtube videos that did seem helpful, like telling you to put one full turn on the wheel at one point or half a turn etc. but in all honesty, when I went to practise it it didn't really work out as easily as I thought. I think it's just better if you have your own way of doing it.

My instructor had me going round with quite a large gap so when I went round the bend I had a lot of work to do. It's ok this way I guess, but the key for me was to not come back into the pavement at such an angle as then you can put yourself in a position that you can't really recover from. It's kind of hard to explain but if you get around the corner and then reverse to come inside/straighten up, reverse so you're mostly moving back and not coming inside sharply and angle your car so you're only coming inside a little bit and keep coming back. Because your car won't be at too much of an angle you won't have to steer that much to straighten up once you're close enough to the curb.

I wish I could show you as it would be so much easier and clearer :biggrin:

If you have the same examiner I'm guessing it's the same route? That's one positive at least :smile:
Original post by ajspurs
It's ok :smile: I looked at youtube videos that did seem helpful, like telling you to put one full turn on the wheel at one point or half a turn etc. but in all honesty, when I went to practise it it didn't really work out as easily as I thought. I think it's just better if you have your own way of doing it.

My instructor had me going round with quite a large gap so when I went round the bend I had a lot of work to do. It's ok this way I guess, but the key for me was to not come back into the pavement at such an angle as then you can put yourself in a position that you can't really recover from. It's kind of hard to explain but if you get around the corner and then reverse to come inside/straighten up, reverse so you're mostly moving back and not coming inside sharply and angle your car so you're only coming inside a little bit and keep coming back. Because your car won't be at too much of an angle you won't have to steer that much to straighten up once you're close enough to the curb.

I wish I could show you as it would be so much easier and clearer :biggrin:

If you have the same examiner I'm guessing it's the same route? That's one positive at least :smile:

Ha I know that would be easier!! :biggrin:

And nooo, i've had him every time but we've done a different route every time. So I don't know what to expect really!

Latest

Trending

Trending