The Student Room Group

Article: Dentistry entry requirements

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Will a 2:1 in human biology be fine? Or is it better to take biomed?
Reply 2
Birmingham require the UKCAT now
Original post by ---.---
birmingham require the ukcat now

what? Are you serious?
Reply 4
how many international places do Kings College London have?
Leeds require BMAT
Liverpool now requires you to do the UKCAT
Hi, my name's Ali and I'm a final year dental student at King's College London. I'm helping run a course that you might want to take a look at if you're applying to study Dentistry: www.dent-gate.co.uk

Dentist for a Day is a one day course for year 10 to 13 students that covers a huge amount of information from core dental science, what to expect from dentistry at uni and an overview of dentistry as a career. We've also included advanced practical sessions focused on developing manual dexterity and a comprehensive workshop on the admissions process. Last year's cohort found the practical sessions and admissions workshops very useful and we received excellent reviews for the course as a whole.

For more information have a look at the flyer I've attached and visit the website.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible.
THIS IS AMAZING!! Do GCSE matter that much after university????
Original post by ValkyrieScythe
THIS IS AMAZING!! Do GCSE matter that much after university????

Not so much, but they'll still expect your grades to be good. Your degree, if you're a graduate, should be a 2.1 or higher if you score a 2.2 you'll be in the reject list even if you have a masters due to high applicant numbers from what I read on some university websites. Your A'levels will also be the a major player ABB-AAB minimum usually with biology/chemistry and another subject as well as your UKCAT/BMAT score depending on which university you apply to. Additionally, work experience is essential also to determine proper interest in the course.
Original post by TheDentalStudent
Hi, my name's Ali and I'm a final year dental student at King's College London. I'm helping run a course that you might want to take a look at if you're applying to study Dentistry: www.dent-gate.co.uk

Dentist for a Day is a one day course for year 10 to 13 students that covers a huge amount of information from core dental science, what to expect from dentistry at uni and an overview of dentistry as a career. We've also included advanced practical sessions focused on developing manual dexterity and a comprehensive workshop on the admissions process. Last year's cohort found the practical sessions and admissions workshops very useful and we received excellent reviews for the course as a whole.

For more information have a look at the flyer I've attached and visit the website.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thats actually really cool. How many tickets are available at each event?
Hello,

Hope somebody can help me.

I have just finished an Access to Higher Education in Science course, gaining really good grades. I am going to Portsmouth University to study Biomedical Science in September. I am also qualified as a Dental Nurse and have been working for the last 4 years.

What are my chances of either getting a place for dentistry after one year of Biomedical Science or as a graduate student please?
Original post by TheDentalStudent

This sounds amazing - how long will the course be running for?? I'm taking a gap year and I think this sort of experience would be perfect. However, I would really like to wait and see what my results are before applying to this course. If you could let me know how long it will be running for that would be great!!
I really want to be a dentist and I have 5 As, which isn't good enough for Birmingham or Sheffield university. Is there a way for me to get a 6th A grade in a GCSE and if so would the universities mind?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
All unis (bar Leeds) use UKCAT now..
Reply 15
Hello.

My A-levels choices will include Biology, Chemistry, Graphics and German. Does my choice of doing an Art-related subject instead of Physics or Maths decrease my chance of getting into a dental school?:s-smilie:
Reply 16
Can you please update this???????
Original post by A47
Will a 2:1 in human biology be fine? Or is it better to take biomed?

hi guys!
FACE-BOOK SEARCH: HOW TO GET INTO DENTISTRY
This page has been put together by TWO RECENTLY QUALIFIED DENTISTS (GRADUATING THIS YEAR 2017) with the aim of giving you top tips on what it takes to get into dental school. From personal statement advice, to interviews and the pesky UKCAT we've got it covered. We'll also be giving you an insight into life after the dental school and everything else dentistry has to offer! best of luck
Hello, I’m really struggling about the Kerala board(KSEB , SSLC) in grade 10 exam which I already done it , I shifted to a British school which is (AS level and A level ) and as my knowledge that it is not possible to go to university with grade 10 (Kerala board, KSEB ,SSLC ) exam and grade 11 (AS level ) exam. So few of university say’s i need to repeat the grade 10 exam because it has to be IGCSE, and lot of university say’s i don’t need to repeat because the Kerala board is equivalent to IGCSE , So my question is . Is the Kerala board equivalent to IGCSE?. And If not is it compulsory to repeat the grade 10 exam as (IGCSE )?.
is it possible to still get into a university if you don't meet the GCSE requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest